on 2 January 2013
Osho is becoming one of my favourite authors to date, this is any easy to read revolution for the mind.
If you haven't heard of Osho before keep an open mind when reading this book, as he does not hold back on what he has to say.
If you are interested in an alternative view on life with positive results this is a must.
on 17 August 2015
Osho (born Chandra Mohan Jain) died 25 years ago but, as is often the case with gurus, his followers have kept his message alive, in this case in the form of The Osho Foundation. Or have they? "...don't be worried about making it a great movement," he says. Maybe The Osho Foundation never read that bit? Sometimes he's perceptive: "If Governments disappear, there will simply be anarchy." But Government is "the ugliest and dirtiest game in the world." so take your pick.

NEVER IMITATE he says (his capitals), which is amusingly ironic, since so much of this book is borrowed - a dash of Gurdjieff, a fair amount of Krishnamurti. Really, it's shot through with so many contradictions. Occasionally it's illuminating; occasionally original. But unfortunately, where it's illuminating it's hardly original, and where it's original not very illuminating. He talks of the need to be "more silent." Now, is this possible, any more than it's possible to be more dead or more pregnant? Silence is something of an absolute state, I would have thought.

Then there are the parts I doubt you'd find in Krishnamurti, that are simply offensive tosh: rapists are not responsible (either it's a man's hormones or the priests forcing him into celibacy!) Or the sweeping statements: "they've done a survey," he says (no details, obviously) and in American jails "30% of inmates are homosexual." Throwing someone in jail, he says, actually makes him homosexual, "some kind of pervert." Do I really need to go on?

I can't decide whether Osho was a crafty opportunist - this is someone, after all, who believed in selfishness as a virtue - or simply a muddled idealist. But I cannot for the life of me see what sort of 'spiritual' guidance anyone can get from this book.
on 17 February 2014
There is a lot of interesting insight in this book, and some humour too, and the overall message is inspiring. But it's hidden behind an onslaught of sweeping opinion, unempathic assertion, and authoritarian prescriptivism, all of which makes Osho seem like a cult leader - an image i just couldn't shake from my mind.
on 13 April 2016
This is without a doubt the most egocentric spiritual book I've ever read. I've given this a two stars because Osho seems full of wisdom in his talks but comes across as judgmental about society & about other spiritual teachers.

I'm not familiar with his teachings so I don't know if this is just the way he is?

I've read books by Adyashanti, Eckhart Tolle, Jeff Foster, Nisargatta Maharaj, Neale Donald Walsch, Thich Nhat Hanh, A. H. Almaas & many more.. All have filled me with particular insights. This is the first book I've read by Osho & it's left me disappointed. I had to finish it 50 pages before the end because I had enough.

I've heard some say Osho authenticity had been questioned. I'm questioning myself whether this man was living more from truth or egoic enlightenment.

I suppose that's the beauty of life, different things resonate with different people. This didn't resonate with me but I'm sure someone out there has gone through a shift because of Osho's teachings.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2013
I chose this rating because, this is a good and very readable book. This is an ideal purchase for those who wish to delve deeper into an understanding of themselves and their relationships with the world and other human beings. The philosophy is built on others for example Krishnamuti, Tolle etc. and delivers the observations in a new and accessible way. I have read the book once and whilst I didi find some of the observations at first contradictory, It was refreshing to read an author who is able to put some insights in a very direct and profound way. I recommend this book, but I think that some other writers do this more consistently and go deeper.
on 2 February 2016
An enlightening book and a very gentle book to read. I would recommend this book to anyone who has an open mind and who can consider things from a different view of perspective. A great read for anyone who is on the path of spiritual enlightenment! :)
on 27 July 2014
Favourite so far.
on 24 June 2015
Excellent 5/5
on 2 November 2014
Absorb what you like, discard what you don't. I found some things in the book seemingly written without justification but appeal to emotion.

I consider spirituality to be an intensely private experience and to the individual to make their own spiritual path, absorbing what resonates well with them. Indeed Osho has profound words of wisdom to share, and great insights.

Selective when reading spiritual "gurus" - whiles absorbing the source of many spiritual foundations, "scriptures" for my own understanding.
on 20 August 2014
A must read book to make you see things differently