5.0 out of 5 stars The Way of the Wanderers
Published on 9 Dec. 2012 by Mary McKay

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Good
I am so sorry to say this as I am a big fan of books by Jess Smith, but I just couldnt get into it at all. It seemed very disjointed somehow and really struggled with it. Her other books which are full of life on the road and the culture of the people are well worth it, but sorry Jess not this one. Maybe its just me, others may enjoy it, sorry
Published on 21 Feb. 2013 by carole

5.0 out of 5 stars The Way of the Wanderers, 9 Dec. 2012
The long years of blood sweat and tears not to mention the intense research Jess Smith has put into this book is evident. She tells not only the history of her beloved travellers but a harrowing tale of centuries of bitter persecution against them; both secular and legal. Mixed in with the tragedy Jess manages to lift the reader and have them rolling with laughter at some of her folk tales or weeping a quiet tear at the sadder stories. I loved every line of this book and highly recommend it to any reader. My book Famines Harvest by Mary McKay is about my own Irish travelling family trying to survive in Scotland after fleeing Ireland during the catastrophic Potato Famine. A different book from Jess' but maybe readers who enjoyed the Way of the Wanderers would be interested in another travellers' story in a different style.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolute joy, 22 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Way of the Wanderers: The Story of Travellers in Scotland (Paperback)
I have had the luck to have read Jess before and knew that I would enjoy this; her style is that of a story teller and she is one of a lost breed of orator/writer. Imagine sitting around a fire listening to these stories, about the ancient tribe of the Gypsies. I have known since being a little girl how important to our culture the Gypsy/Travelling people are, they are the lost tribe, and the last of those who can link us to our ancient history. I thoroughly recommend this book, for the tales and for the truth of the pedigree of the travelling folk. They deserve our respect yet are miserably vilified, that must be addressed and rectified and as soon as possible.

Thank you Jess Smith, for bringing the true story alive and for introducing the contemporary link which shows how ashamed we should be at having so let you down. Long live the Gypsy folk, their tales, their history and their continuation in the fabric of all nations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scotland's victims, 31 Oct. 2012
In her latest book, Jess Smith, with her usual talent, brings alive Scotland's Gypsy Travellers, with their own tales and her reminscences and researches into the terrible things done to these people in the past. It is such a mix of emotions - powerful, intriguing, mysterious, disturbing and tragic yet also at times humorous and at times, too, light, which thereby makes the more disturbing parts even more so. It is a very fine book indeed and I cannot overpraise it. As a specialist in Gypsy Traveller material, I believe it will in future be seen as one of the Gypsy classics - I already think of it in that way and for me it is a treasure.
I urge all to find out about these little known chapters from Scotland's history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Jess Smith, 15 April 2013
JayBrechin (Brechin, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Having read all Jess's books to date I am not surprised that this one would be anything less than the others and it is not. Her gift of storytelling is wonderful, carrying you along to places you may have heard of and others you may not have even dreamt of. It is like sitting round the fire listening to an old aunt relating the tales of her chidhood, some you believe - yes know what I mean. It may be that our imaginations cannot go where Jess or her storytelling friends have been. Excellent read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Good, 21 Feb. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 30 Nov. 2013
this auther speaks from the heart..been there/done it.Sometimes very funny stories with a subliminal message attached.A book
which got me thinking how some folk can think so highly about themselves ,that it blots out to them the fact that others have
not as much..but can make the best of what they do have....and dont complain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 5 Mar. 2013
I didn't finish reading this book. It was just TOO factual. Information I like, but I found it very "dry" and not what I had expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE WAY OF THE WANDERES, 19 Mar. 2014
YET ANOTHER GREAT STORY OF THE TRAVELLERS IN SCOTLAND SO INFORMATIVE OF WHAT IT WAS LIKE YEARS AGOFOR THE TRAVELLERS FAMILYS

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too modern for me, 31 Aug. 2013
Wjcox "dust jacket" (york's uk) - See all my reviews
Thought this was going to be about the old days, late 19th early 20th century, but it's mainly about 50' to today.

5.0 out of 5 stars jess smith, 27 Feb. 2013
just read the fourth one of this series and enjoyed every one , interesting read and the journey thought scotland

Way of the Wanderers: The Story of Travellers in Scotland
Way of the Wanderers: The Story of Travellers in Scotland by Jess Smith (Paperback - 6 Sept. 2012)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available