5.0 out of 5 stars A Story of Courage, Friendship and Faith
Published 9 months ago by Ann Gleeson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good... But...
I struggled to know what star rating to put for this book for a few reasons.

I enjoyed reading the book and felt I learned a lot that I didn't know previously. It certainly educated me in an engaging and interesting way.

Published 5 months ago by SM

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story of Courage, Friendship and Faith, 13 Oct 2013
Ann Gleeson "Musicus" (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
This book should be a 'must-read' for everyone! Not only is it a story of courage and inspiration as the first reviewer wrote, it also describes the richness of friendship in a family and among friends of the Yousafzai family. The book is well-written and interesting and I couldn't put it down! The background to events in the Swat Valley is valuable as are the descriptions of ordinary life in Mingora, if you can call it 'ordinary' with the threat of Talibanisation.

Another valuable point of the book is its insights into Islam as it is practised by a devout but not fundamentalist family and their emphasis on prayer. I have always found that prayer unites people of any creed and 'I am Malala' confirmed this opinion, (I write from a Christian perspective). I hope that faith and community uphold the family now in their new home and that they will continue to be ambassadors for Islam as a religion of peace - needed in our multi-cultural society today.

Thank you, Malala, for a wonderful courage and a witness that the pen and the word are far mightier than the sword.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Inspiration, 11 Oct 2013
This is not only the incredible story of an amazing young woman but that of her whole family and what life was/is like under the Taliban. It is truly an inspirational account of their courage in standing up for their beliefs in the face of incredible strain and adversity.

Heart-wrenching, thought-provoking and moving, this is a book everyone should read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Puts things into perspective, 7 Nov 2013
LivY (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Good book from her own perspective. At times she may come across as a little too righteous but then again she is only 16(!) and has used her profile, risking her life, to bring attention to the ongoing issue of female education - what many of us take so much for granted.

What I found particularly interesting however was the background history and culture covered in this book. It helped to give context not only to the issue but also shed more of an 'insider' light into the region and some of the internal and external issues that many, including myself were previously unaware of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible girl, 16 Oct 2013
An incredible brave, intelligent and strong willed girl, hard to believe she is only 16, talks about her past in her home town of Swat Valley. An interesting read about how life is like in that part of Pakistan, life under Taliban rule, the endless corruption in all areas of their government and an incredible story about her father. Malala wouldn't be the girl she is today (minus the shooting) without the help of her father and she conveys this a lot in her book. She talks about the freedom of thought and expression he allowed Malala to have even though his first born was a daughter (a girl being born in a Pakistani family is sometimes looked at as 'unlucky' by others whereas when a son is born in to a family there is a big fanfare, congratulations and gifts). It was interesting to read, towards the latter of the book, about the shooting, the conditions of the hospital and the two Doctors from Birmingham who were 2 of many that helped save Malala's life.

It was a great read and certainly made me appreciate how easy we have it here when it comes to School's/College's and how we take that for granted. Its only when something is taken from you that you realise how much it means to you and this is what one of the things Malala talks about in her book. I finished this book within a couple of days. How life was in Pakistan under Taliban rule really gripped me that I couldn't put the book down.

I am glad that she has appeared on numerous talk shows in America and spreading the message of education for all boys and girls as their basic rights in countries, such as Pakistan. I fully recommend this book to young adults/teenagers and maybe they'll realise that they have something incredible in this country where they might not have had this privilege in a third world country to achieve their full potential.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good... But..., 17 Jan 2014
SM (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I struggled to know what star rating to put for this book for a few reasons.

My problem with the book is that approximately 75% of it is about her father - what he says, what he does and what he thinks. The bits that I really enjoyed reading about was her and her thoughts - which undeniably are interesting and thought provoking. She has the ability with her own voice to raise questions and get people thinking about difficult subjects. I find it just a little disappointing that a young lady who has done so much for the rights of females / girls would defer so much to her fathers word and see it as the only true voice in some matters.

Having said this, if she were to write a book herself, about herself and opinions, I would buy it and enjoy reading it. She is a very bright and engaging person and I really hope she find happiness and security for the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich in detail, 2 Mar 2014
Gordon Eldridge (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This book is a joy to read. It is rich in details about Malala's life in the Swat valley in Pakistan. The detailed account gives the reader a real flavour of what it is like to live from day to day in the Pashtun areas of rural Pakistan. The details also give us a rich picture of the variety of attitudes to religion found in villages and towns in rural Pakistan. While most of the characters in the book profess to be Muslim, the way they view their religion varies greatly.

As the Taliban gain power in Mingora, where Malala lives, we get a birds-eye view of what it is like to have your world turned upside-down by fundamentalist religion. Later, after the army has supposedly cleared the village of Taliban, we can feel along with Malala what it is like to live in a permanent state of insecurity knowing that whatever the army says, the situation is not truly safe.

Above all this is a story of courage as Malala speaks out against the Taliban, her country's army and government and the self-interested rich countries who get involved in the events of the area. While sometimes you can feel that the book was co-authored with a journalist, there are moments when the wonderful voice of a somewhat naive (in the best way) adolescent comes through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Down to Earth, and Inspirational, 16 Oct 2013
I am Malala is an easy to read account of not just Malala's life, but the context of her life which really helps the reader understand her journey. It encapsulates the journey of her family, a background into the events leading to Taliban influence in Swat valley and a first person insight into Pashtun culture.

For me it is a masterpiece in social history. It really gives a sense of how different a world Malala grew up, and of the struggles people face in Swat. Furthermore, it humanises, gives insight into the narrative of Taliban influence in the North West of Pakistan, something which - despite being an avid viewer of mainstream news - I didn't fully appreciate. And it brings to life the terrible struggle that the citizens of Swat valley have been subject to.

But the most important aspect of the book - in my view - is how genuine it reads. Written from the heart, by a young lady who is driven by her heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story, 18 Dec 2013
An inspirational story of one girl's fight for something the west takes for granted - education for girls - and the price she paid for her stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 20 Oct 2013
This young women should be forever admired,her story is both well told from a personal and historical perspective. I now have some insight into Pakistan's struggles , and problems.
I feel every teenage girl should at some point read this book,then only will they understand the privilege of free speech and education.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Read of 2013, 25 Nov 2013
A great book, as a British Pakistani myself I thought I had a very good understanding of the country, until I read this book. I saw another perspective, having finished it, for the first time ever my mother in law asked to read it also, as did my 11 year old nephew!
What is good about the read is that it pulls no punches, the author has rightly criticized many including normally untouchable institutions like the army and state. But they are balanced as well and not scapegoating.

If you are looking to read a book, look no further. This one is unforgettable.

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and was Shot by the Taliban