5.0 out of 5 stars A great book I really loved it!
Published 10 months ago by Kathy

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it ... after all, it promised so much.
Sadly, I felt that this book failed to deliver what it promised. I wanted to love it; indeed I hoped it would be another 'Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' or 'The Pianist' ... but it wasn't.

Published 19 months ago by E. Heckingbottom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book I really loved it!, 15 Feb 2014
Eva has written a moving and surprising story. She has created an uplifting novel, full of imagination and survival, out of a difficult subject and time in history. Although harrowing in parts, I felt I could immerse myself in the characters and the twists and turns of the plot and didn't want to stop reading it until the end. I did find it believable. It gave me a feeling of faith in humanity and hope in dark times. A great debut novel, and I look forward to reading her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, heartbreaking novel., 28 Jan 2014
Caitlin (Wellington, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
Loved it. It took me a bit to get into it initially but then I read the second half of the book all in one go - couldn't put it down. It has given me a deeper understanding of what the Jewish people - and the young German soldiers - went through during WWII. Heartbreaking but a beautiful story and very memorable. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A difficult subject handled well, 24 Dec 2013
Trev Hill (Telford, Shropshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Puppet Boy of Warsaw (Paperback)
I liked this book, not least because I'm a puppeteer! The book shows the potential of puppetry to make people's lives more bearable in hard times. Having once translated the memoirs of a Polish puppeteer during the Warsaw Uprising (not the Ghetto Uprising shown in this book), I could well believe Mica's adventures with his puppets.

The second part of the book, set in Siberia and Germany is not as detailed as the first part, but this would have made the work of epic proportions, so whilst not necessarily as satisfying as the first part it delivers what needs to be said to set the scene for the later parts.

The real importance of this book is the attempt to address the role and feelings of ordinary Germans and serving soldiers during this time and these events. The book shows how this is not an easy thing to talk about... innocence is lost when someone has to face facts about their beloved parents and grandparents and the anger and guilt can spill into the next generation. The story tries bravely to address this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Master story-teller, 7 April 2014
This review is from: The Puppet Boy of Warsaw (Paperback)
As her name might imply, Eva Weaver is a master story-teller, and it is her sense of story that weaves such a satisfying story. As an author she is also a healer too. Because, though harrowing in places due to how vividly she reconstructs the ghetto, it is a tale of hope and redemption. It’s not just a story. It is how the child within us succeeds where being an adult in such a cruel period of the 1930s and 40s might leave us with no hope.

4.0 out of 5 stars Healing power of reconciliation, 18 Feb 2014
A. J. Horsman "Skyhorse" (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Puppet Boy of Warsaw (Paperback)
I read this book in almost one sitting found it hard to put down. I liked the way that i was able to suspend my belief and be swept along by the story. This book deals with a particularly horrific reality of the Warsaw ghetto and yet i was able to read this horror due to the forgiving nature of the story. The main themes that resonated with me are the importance of 'art' amidst horror and the healing power of truth and reconciliation.

4.0 out of 5 stars deceptively simple.., 9 Feb 2014
This is a book with hidden magic - a real heart-centred power. The narrative is deceptively simple, and unusual as a read, for painting broad-sweep pictures that allowed me as a reader to engage in the conjured world of the puppet and emotional interiority of Mika, Max and Ellie in particular. The Puppet Boy of Warsaw is not a fact-filled, descriptive, plot-driven page-turner. Its storytelling simplicity is its strength, with a very human treatment of a haunting time in our collective history. Within the story is another dimension of healing and redemption...threading together a common humanity, no matter how dissimilar or divisive appearances and events can look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Puppet Boy - Worth Reading, 15 Nov 2013
I felt Eva Weaver dealt with this difficult subject with respect. It was also interesting to read about Max's experience in the Syberian camp which is an aspect of the time after WWII I had not read much about.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love it ... after all, it promised so much., 17 May 2013
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The Puppet Boy of Warsaw tells the story of Mika, a young Jewish boy confined to the ghetto, and how his life is influenced by Max, a German soldier. Sadly, it ended up as a story that was oddly unconvincing. The characters appeared rather two dimensional and the plot seemed utterly impossible in places. The author seems determined to spoonfeed your emotions, rather than leading you to your own responses.

I was looking forward to having the Warsaw Ghetto brought vividly to life, but, sadly, this book failed to do that.
A disappointment overall.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perspectives on WW2, 5 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The blurb suggested that this would be enjoyed by people who liked The Book Thief and this may be true. It is the story of Mika, a Jewish boy in his early teens in the Warsaw ghetto. He finds his grandfather has a collection of puppets and he starts to play with them. In part a vehicle for telling a story about the life of the Jews in the ghetto at that time I loved the first part of the book. The second part I found less appealing somehow (I'd prefer not to give away the content/context) although still readable. After that it became a powerful story again - the ending was quite emotional and if that felt rather too obvious I can forgive that - the impact was there. This book does not simply address the situation for Jews in the war and in Warsaw in particular but attempts to considered it from other perspectives too.

For me this is not as good as the Book Thief - the edginess and bite that was in that book is a little better for me than the effect of this one. However I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in this subject area even if it feels a little contrived at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was recommended to me who read it through her book club, 13 July 2014
This book was recommended to me who read it through her book club. I bought the Kindle version. I enjoyed it and originally thought it was a true story as the historical background is correct, however the story is fictitious but a very moving one. It is a book you can talk about and, as happened to me, recommend to friends.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Puppet Boy of Warsaw
The Puppet Boy of Warsaw by Eva Weaver (Paperback - 12 Dec 2013)
Used & New from: £7.19