5.0 out of 5 stars Passage of Gentlemens Rites
Guys forget the clothes show leave that to the ladies. Lads mags, although nice to look at they're full of adverts & not much info. This book however is jam packed with little facts that will make you smarter than the average bear!

Published on 1 May 2007 by Craig R. Hodge

3.0 out of 5 stars falls just short
Published on 19 July 2011 by S. J. Barnett

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Passage of Gentlemens Rites, 1 May 2007
Craig R. Hodge "horrible_hodge" (Penicuik Scotland) - See all my reviews

Lets admit it guys we all aspire to be a bit like James Bond. Now this book will give you a smattering of his social knowledge. Whether that's a brief guide to beers, wines & spirits. Or even better what glass they should be drunk from. I'm looking forward to asking for the proper glass down the pub. Or what you should wear to a function. Basic dress codes & even how to tie a tie in different ways. Dying arts in our increasingly casual society, I mean have you seen those massive knots people have these days. They look absolutely ridiculous. And how many times have we read that a real lady likes a smart dressed man?

But it's not just about dress sense. There's tons of information & tips on a whole range of subjects. Public loo etiquette is hilarious; every lady should read that section. Poker explained, personally I've never understood it until now.

Great book, informative, witty & well written. As previous reviewers have said there's very little of the authors opinions. Just information in a format that makes you read it from cover to cover in no time. And go back to it again and again. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars New pocket bible, 25 Oct. 2006
This handsome little book is at turns fascinating, funny, quirky and essential. At 192 pages it punches well above its weight - in terms of information its more like a 400 page work of reference. I keep coming back to it and strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your questions answered, 26 Oct. 2006
Whether it's dress, sport, women, drinking, outdoors, or the future, this book has the info in its covers. A handbook for him and a guide to the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars really cool book, 23 Sept. 2006
OK I'm a girl so not the target readership for this book. But I nevertheless found it quite cool. By the author of the bestselling '85 Ways to tie a tie' this is a general guide to maleness. However for women it offers a great insight into the male psyche and dilemmas we've never had to encounter, such as which urinal to select to achieve maximum privacy and yet not look paranoid! There are also great sections on female beauty ,dating and women, 'The Rules' from the opposite point of view! Thomas Fink is a theoretical physicist and puts a cool mathematic slant on what he writes, reducing problems such as choosing a restaurant on a date to a simple equation. It's great to dip into - a 'Dangerous Book for Boys' for big kids - and would make a perfect gift this christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars my book of the year, 21 Oct. 2006
This book rocks!!! Forget opinion, this is about facts. Meticulously researched and it doesn't have the usual author bias that so many other books have.

It includes a description of the 120 single malt whiskies.

And every single badge available to Scouts.

And the 40 best night clubs.

And all the species of fresh and salt water fish.

And reviews of London's gentlemens clubs.

And the 30 traditional weights exercises.

And everything you need to know about conkers.

And a complete sports calendar.

To all my friends: you will be getting copies from me, so be warned!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every guy will love this, 3 Oct. 2006
This book really is what the title says, a book that every man needs. I heard about the other book by Fink on ties but I don't wear ties that often. However I couldn't put this book down. It is a cross between a reference book for basically anything that a man might be interested in and a guide to why men do things the way they do.

I found the guide to night clubs in London very useful, also the guide to the different shirtmakers, the darts strategy and unusual ways of starting a fire. (Have a look at the part on Family Jewels). If you've seen the Dangerous Book for Boys, well this is a Dangerous Book for Men, but denser and more detailed. If you don't have a copy yet, you will soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars *perfect present*, 15 Nov. 2006
This handsome handbook for men has changed my life! It's a compendium of

facts and observations (but very few opinions) concisely expressed and

clearly laid out. In this sense it is more a reference book than a guide

to a particular kind of lifesyle. And the information between its covers

should be possessed by every man. If ever there was an ideal Christmas

present for husband or fathers or sons, this is it.

3.0 out of 5 stars falls just short, 19 July 2011
S. J. Barnett (Northeast England) - See all my reviews
I bought the book with my eyes open. That is, I had read other reviews that mentioned the almanac nature of certain sections, such as 2008 Olympic dates. However, this still had a major impact on my not awarding maximum stars, as I felt there was too much information of this type and that dated the book instantly. Generally, the other content is rather good and there are some reasonably wry remarks throughout. I felt that some extra advice would have been welcome on what to carry in suit pockets. If bulky small items must be carried , what are the alternatives? Does anything get put into evening dress jacket pockets? The section on urinal etiqette was a good laugh and I felt it would have been superb if the seated aspect of visits to public conveniences was also mentioned! Overall, my advice is that, if you are able to secure a cheap copy then this book is worth buying, but not at RRP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every man should have one, 14 Sept. 2007
I bought this for my boyfriend and he absolutely loved it. He keeps going back to it over and over again. The author has managed to produce a book which is useful, stylish and at times, very funny. Deliciously random yet perfectly ordered. It really is totally absorbing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 18 Mar. 2008
Mr. K. W. M. Cheng (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is half essential, and half almanac.

The almanac, like always will be dated. It's for year 2007 I think.... so you better check the date publication for any reprints... and hopefully it's updated to your current year...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Man's Book: The Indispensable Guide for the Modern Man
The Man's Book: The Indispensable Guide for the Modern Man by Thomas Fink (Paperback - 22 May 2014)