5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 3 books in 1, each as enjoyable as each other.
Published on 27 Nov 2012 by Charlie&Molly

3.0 out of 5 stars You will enjoy the first book more
After starting to watch the series I decided to buy the books. I got the complete series as it was cheaper. I wish now I just brought the first two books. The other books read more like a history lesson then about people's lives.
Published 21 months ago by emma

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 3 books in 1, each as enjoyable as each other., 27 Nov 2012
So many reviews of the books have been left for the individual kindle books, the books being Call The Midwife, Farewell to the Eastend and Shadows of the Workhouse that I don't need to say more, however I did find the page for this book inconclusive, I had to download a sample to find out which books were available, hopefully by listing the books this review will help other potential buyers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, harrowing and hope-filled, 8 Dec 2012
M. Counsell (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
These autobiographical novels give an accurate picture of life in the East End of London in the postwar years. The people were poor but cheerful, and if the convent-hospital had not moved into the area, many mothers would have died in childbirth. The story, told with great humour, of the young midwives, the shocks they experienced and the hope with which they overcame them, made a hugely succesful series on television. Inevitably, TV is a bit superficial, and the books go much deeper. To anyone who has been present at a birth, the graphic descriptions of the risky process will fill us with gratitude for what our mothers went through that we might live. Those who have given birth themselves will be reminded of something they had long ago forgotten, as the Gospel puts it, 'for joy because a new person has come into the world.' Anyone else may find the obstetric passages gruelling, but keep going, you will be a better person when you finish. And you wil;l have had many laughs while you were reading it. The quiet spirituality of the nuns underlies it all, and the books acknowledge, what the TV producers seem to have forgotten, that they were Church of England; many people don't realise that Anglican nuns exist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Like, 1 Feb 2013
Love this down load three books in one found them easy to read and never wanted to put them down,

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Feb 2013
This is an excellent series of books detailing life in the East End of London in the mid-1950s. Although based on true events I suspect that some have been slightly fictionalised, but the book is none the worse for that. The book brings home what life was like for thousands of people in the East End, after the war and before large-scale rebuilding had taken place - I had not understood how appalling the conditions were for so many people, but after thinking about it realised that the mid-1950s are nearer to Victorian times than they are to us in 2012! The books tell of Jenny, a midwife working with nuns to provide maternity services to the local community and some of the events which occurred. Thoroughly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed insight into life in the 1950s and the lot of women in those times, 27 Jun 2013
S. Lawes (England, UK) - See all my reviews
The books are well written and give a detailed and startling insight into life in the East End of London in the 1950s. I enjoyed the first book very much but frankly found the other two very repetitive, with only a little new material - many of the stories are repeated sometimes from a different angle. The writings certainly made me realise how lucky we are in the early 21st century and how much our standard of lving has increased in my lifetime.
I would recommend buying the first book but give the other two a miss - unless you have a very detailed interest in this period of social history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Emotional Stories, 15 Mar 2013
Maureen Stroud "Mo Walton" (Walton on the Naze) - See all my reviews
I watched the "Call The Midwife" series on Sunday evenings and thoroughly enjoyed them. The e-books go deeper into the memoires of Jennifer Worth and I have thoroughly enjoyed them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 22 Mar 2013
I could not put the book down, it stirred the emotions and painted a true picture of suffering and strength.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 6 Mar 2014
N. Elliott - See all my reviews
These books were recommended by a friend who had read years ago & like I am enjoying the TV series. I'm on the first book and I'm totally hooked, the author describes her life in such detail, plus having watched the TV series they have got some of the characters spot on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just SO wonderful., 2 Mar 2014
I bought this quite a while ago, before it became famous on TV. It was on special offer, 3-books-in-1 in an erstwhile book club magazine. I like medical books and it sounded really interesting. It was so wonderful. It is the true story of Jennifer Worth who was a midwife in the East End in the 1950's. There are many aspects to the story-not just having babies-Jennifer also acts as a district nurse some of the time and meets many people and tells some of their heart-breaking stories in the book. In the second book of the trilogy, she tells Frank and Peggy's story. Frank was a handyman at the Nonnatus House and Peggy was his sister and they were workhouse children. So traumatic and heart-wrenching. I have watched some of the TV series and it does translate well to that medium but the book has so much more. Having said that, reading about the character 'Chummy'- Miranda Hart IS such a wonderful choice, she could BE HER! Apparently, Jennifer Worth chose Miranda Hart to be Chummy because she thought she fitted the character so well. She was right. Sadly, Jennifer died of Cancer shortly before the first TV series aired but what a wonderful memory she has left in this book. So many books 'get me' emotionally but none have quite so powerfully as this one. It is a read which will stay with me for many a year to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, enjoyable treasure, 21 Mar 2013
I laughed and cried. Really enjoyed this collection of Call the Midwife Stories. Beautifully, descriptive laced with the sad realities of bygone times.

The Complete Call the Midwife Stories: True Stories of the East End in the 1950s
Used & New from: £5.98