4.0 out of 5 stars A good memoir
Although this is perhaps a little disappointing as a record of her career, mainly because she is too polite to be truly candid, it is certainly a revealing and moving account of her private life. Having not read any other books on her, I found all the stories fresh and entertaining, and this serves as a very good introduction to a superb actress's life.
Published on 29 Nov 2010 by V E Tully

2.0 out of 5 stars No furthermore
Published on 10 May 2011 by cashier carol

2.0 out of 5 stars No furthermore, 10 May 2011
This review is from: And Furthermore (Audio CD)
I love autobiographies and celebrity ones are the best but this one was extremely boring. It consisted of a list of plays that she has been in and a list of fellow actors producers and directors. It could have been written by anyone.There were hardly any references to her private life and, although we dont want a "warts and all" story, a little personal information would have been welcome.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good memoir, 29 Nov 2010

2.0 out of 5 stars I've read most of this before, 24 Oct 2010
This review is from: And Furthermore (Hardcover)
Really disappointing - readers who buy this are likely to own other books about Judi Dench. Just be prepared to read many of the same stories again - pretty much word for word. Very few new photos too. Not what I was expecting at all. I feel a bit short-changed.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a let down!, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: And Furthermore (Hardcover)
I am so glad that I did not buy this book but choose to get it from the library (and waited 3 months for the pleasure). Dame Judi Dench really is one of my most favourite actors but this book reads like a book of notes and not an auto-biography or biography at all. May be I am not the best person to review this book as I only got a third of the way through it and felt it was not worth finishing. This is possibly the first book that I have never finished reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected so much more..., 25 Oct 2010
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: And Furthermore (Hardcover)
I love Judi Dench. From 'As Time Goes By' to all the Shakespeare plays she has done to the James Bond films, I have loved everything I have seen her in. This was the book I have waited all year to read and, boy, was I disappointed.

I did learn some things I didn't know about Judi but I wanted to know so much more. Major events in her life, such as the birth of her daughter, are skimmed over in a sentence. She starred in 'As Time Goes By' for nine years and I think it got little more than a page.

I found myself getting so confused, with all the mentioning of plays, people and places. It all happened so fast. Also, while reading this, I began to wonder if I have a sense of humour. Some of the things she finds hilarious I just didn't get.

Judi does tell us in the book that the public don't have the right to invade every area of her private life and she's right, they don't. However, if you feel this way, why right an autobiography? The letter at the beginning makes me think she is quite angry at having to write this book at all!

I feel I am being slightly generous with the 3 stars, but I do love Judi. The book was readable with some nice pictures, but I found myself becoming bored.

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE!!, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: And Furthermore (Paperback)
This has got to be the worst book I've ever attempted to read, I tried my best but half way through I got fed up of reading a list of plays and actors.There is no insight into her life or her emotions( for example about the birth of her daughter/death of her husband and so on ).OK I respect her when she says that her life is private, but why then did she support this biography, leading readers to believe that they were getting an account of her life and wasting good money on a non- read.Compare this book to Julie Walters autobiography and they are worlds apart, Miss Walter's was a joy to read.I'm very disappointed and would advise any fan of hers to save your money and perhaps buy a DVD of one of her films, it will be more enjoyable.

2.0 out of 5 stars As told to..., 3 Jan 2011
This review is from: And Furthermore (Hardcover)
Warning: this is NOT a book by Judi Dench. It is an "as told to", obviously based on tape recordings - the kind of thing you expect in footballers' so-called "autobiographies". It isn't shaped or edited in any way. Why Dame Judi lent her name to it is a mystery.
Hugely disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lazy and dull style, surprisingly boring content!, 5 Dec 2011
This review is from: And Furthermore (Hardcover)
I must say, I was quite shocked at how dull this small tome was. Evidently written and published for the money, I would have thought sheer professionalism would have prohibited the publisher from pushing it out there... I dont blame the Dame for being a poor writer, which she certainly is, but I do think she shortchanged fans with such a dry and dusty package of barely- there anecdotes and recollections which can be of no interest to anyone except her. Whats truly odd is to have been at the centre of the British theatrical community for so long, and yet not to really be able to share any insight with the rest of us...yawn.....

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with "And furthermore", 18 Jan 2011
Mrs. J. Keeler "Jackiek1957" (Clacton on Sea UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And Furthermore (Hardcover)
I'd been looking forward to reading "And furthermore" for quite a while. I kept waiting for it liven up but it just disappointed page after tedious page.You would have gained the same insight into this gifted actresse's life if you'd read the chronological detailing of her work in the back pages. Don't bother buying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dame, 26 July 2014
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: And Furthermore (Kindle Edition)
Dame Judi Dench had to be talked into writing this memoir. It is her story thus far. From her days at school to her Oscar winning performance.

Who does not love Judi Dench? Today's young people know her from her acting in the James Bond films. She is 'M', the uber boss of James Bond. She excels in this character. We also know her from her many films, the latest 'Philomena'.
She is an extraordinary actress. I am enthralled with each and every one of her performances. In this memoir, she fills us in on her life the happy and tragic times. From her first performance at the Old Vic, to her Shakespeare performances. Her marriage and her child. The life she has led Inbetween and since the tragedies of her life. Many photos appear in this book, and the ones of her marriage to Michael William show the love and devotion. Her daughter and grandchild bring out her maternal side, if you have not seen it in her films.

A wonderfully written book, full of anecdotes and the thrills if her life.

Recommended. prisrob 07-25-14

And Furthermore
And Furthermore by Dame Judi Dench (Paperback - 25 Oct 2012)
6.99