4.0 out of 5 stars Quarks, strangeness & charm!
I will admit that the title of this book grabbed me straight away. Having been self-studying quantum physics and evangelistically telling friends and anyone who would listen about the wonderful world of the sub-atomic, i thought a general reader on the subject would be good for 'summing up' etc.

In this regard Al-Khalili does not disappoint. The historical...
Published on 2 Jan 2007 by Paul Davies

2.0 out of 5 stars Still perplexed after all these years
I am well qualified to review a guide for the perplexed, being very perplexed. I did not study physics beyond the compulsory level at school but became curious about quantum physics back in the 1980s and read John Gribbin’s “In search of Schrödinger’s Cat”. I recall that I grasped some basic concepts from that book and enjoyed reading it, even...
Published 11 days ago by Sophie Newton

5.0 out of 5 stars Expertly written book, 7 Dec 2012
A brilliant offering by Professor Jim. Easy to follow and throughly engaging throughout. A complex counter intuitive subject really brought to life. Fantastic

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 7 Dec 2012
This book gives a really good insight into the quantum physics research carried out now. Gives good diagrams and explains everything well even if one does not study physics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 16 Nov 2012
This review is from: Quantum: A Guide For The Perplexed (Paperback)
I must say Jim Al-Khalili as got to be the most funniest scientist on the planet - as most scientists have the personality of a corpse.

His analogies are second to none, and his one liners are too funny.

Unlike, some pompus books I have read in the past, where the author even confuses himself, with the overuse of formal words.This book flows from beginning to end with a language that is straight forward.

To me his style of formal and informal writing, just does it for me. He definitely knows his target audience - that's everyday people like myself, with a sense of humour, who want to know how the universe works.

If you want to read a book about the brief history of science and Quantum Mechanics for the first time, without falling asleep. Then buy Quantum: A guide for the perplexed - I've got to admit, after reading this book I am really less baffled, than when I read the first pages. 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you're interested in Quantum Mechanics, 21 Aug 2012
Having just finished my AS level Physics, in which quantum phenomena was one of the topics, I was in awe when I learned about wave-particle duality and the photoelectric effect. I developed an interest in quantum mechanics and I've ploughed through several popular science books that claim they will provide the "answers" if you will to this puzzling theory, but none of them come close to the quality of this book. Everything is described in a clear, concise and comprehensible manner; this book definitely answered my questions about wave functions and quantum superposition, as well as introducing me to new ideas such as quantum entanglement.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone with an enquiring mind who wants to learn a little bit more about quantum mechanics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quantum Mechanics is not Rocket Science!, 13 May 2011
Jazzrook (Purbrook , Hampshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is one of the most accessible and exciting books on quantum mechanics that I've come across. Niels Bohr once said that "anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it" but Jim Al-Khalili does an excellent job in demystifying the counter-intuitive world of the quantum which even Einstein dismissed. Each chapter concludes with a short, illuminating essay by various quantum experts including Paul Davies and Frank Close.
All those baffled by quantum physics should be a little less perplexed after reading this state-of-the-art illustrated guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Nov 2010
This is probably the best science book I've ever read. Tells it the way it is rather than, as some accounts of the quantum world do, in a way that is not strictly accurate but will be easier for you to understand! And yet, still does it in a way that even an idiot like me can follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even more perplexed, but in a good way........., 9 July 2010
This the best introductory book on quantum theory I have ever read. Jim A.A. makes the most elusive and removed subject in science engaging and, wait for it, even humorous. Buy this book!! You might as well because even if you don't buy it in this universe than an alternate version of yourself has already bought it in a parallel universe, read it, wrote the sequel and turned into a giraffe called Colin...........

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet another Quantum book!, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Quantum: A Guide For The Perplexed (Paperback)
Although I'm a big fan of Jim Al-Khalili, especially his Radio 4 series " The Life Scientific", this book doesn't really have anything new to say. How many times are we expected to be wowed by the double slit experiment - yes we all know about wave-particle duality. Perhaps my problem is that I'm not "perplexed" so maybe this book isn't for me?

The book of the same name ("Quantum") by Manjit Kumar does a far better job while at the same time leaving the reader with some interesting scientific, if not philosophical, issues to resolve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity at last!, 3 April 2013
Mr. D. Boocock (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quantum: A Guide For The Perplexed (Paperback)
This Quantum thing is tricky. Prof Al-Khalili has found a way of helping to shed some light on the matter for us folks that have an interest in it, without have a PhD in it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Made My Brain Hurt, But Worth The Effort, 13 Feb 2013
As an aged non-physicist I have struggled with quantum physics on and off for the last 30 yrs. This book along with Krauss' A Universe From Nothing have at least made me comfortable with the concepts. Recommended for any who want to understand without getting immersed in the maths.

Quantum: A Guide For The Perplexed
Quantum: A Guide For The Perplexed by Jim Al-Khalili (Paperback - 25 Oct 2012)
9.78