5.0 out of 5 stars Mainly Fermin's story
I first entered `The Cemetery of Forgotten Books' in 2003 and `The Shadow of the Wind' instantly became one of my favourite novels of all time. 'Then came the darkness of `The Angel's Game' set in the 1920's which introduced the character of David Martin as well as providing a backstory for Sempere and Sons bookshop. `The Prisoner of Heaven' is the third instalment in...
Published on 21 Jun 2012 by I Readalot

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly deflated...
I write here as a lover, not a hater, of the author.

But in this instance I feel underwhelmed and disappointed. Perhaps I built this book into something that it wasn't supposed to be, I loved Shadow of the Wind and enjoyed The Angels Game. The former is a standout, stand alone book, I went to Barcelona after reading it and looked at every door imagining the...
Published 23 months ago by Keith

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Whatever happened to the ending??, 30 July 2012
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Hardcover)
A good read, as far as it went, but quite definitely a mere shadow of "Shadow of the Wind". It is almost as if the author became bored with his tale just after half-way through, and finished it at full speed. There were so many unanswered questions, for example, why did the "villain" instruct one of his employees to make contact with Daniel's wife? What happened to Martin, and who was the mysterious "Boss"?
All in all very disappointing-I couldn't believe that I had come to the end of the story when I did!

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, but a touch short!, 22 July 2012
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Hardcover)
I think I'm in the minority in that I greatly preferred Angels Game to Shadow of The Wind, so was a little disappointed when I read that the book picks up Daniel and Fermin's story; for I didn't warm to either of their characters whilst reading Shadow of The Wind. However, I was still greatly anticipating the release of Prisoner of Heaven.

Prisoner is not a mystery thriller, but is intriguing. Without giving too much away, it tells the story of Fermin's past, which brings the plots from Shadow of the Wind and Angel's Game together; and takes the character of David Martin into Daniel's world. The events here will throw into doubt things the reader thought were already known from the previous stories. However, there are still tantalising hints that not everything is at it might seem. The conclusion leaves the way open for a sequel, and I can only hope that some of the unanswered questions will be addressed in some way then!

Zafon's style of writing is mainly what has drawn me to his work, and kept me following this series to date. There's no doubt in my mind that Zafon has substantial talent when it comes to the written word. His style not only draws the reader into the text, but conjures up visual images of the events in the mind as the text flows from page to page. In that respect, Prisoner of Heaven does not disappoint. I also feel that Zafon's style has matured a lot since Shadow of The Wind. I felt at that time the fact that Zafon had previously written young adult fiction was quite apparent. This is a drawback Prisoner doesn't suffer from I'm pleased to say.

My only real criticism of Prisoner is the length. It stands at just under 300 pages, and is presented in quite a large font. I wonder whether there was a hurry to get this book released, or did the publishers simply want the benefits that an additional release would bring? Either way, its a shame that the progression of Prisoner comes across as being cut short. There's clearly more of the story to tell, and continuing to convey it here would easily have held the readers' interest.

It's worth noting that both Shadow of The Wind and Angel's Game could be read as completely separate novels, as they have the smallest of connections. Apparently the same should be true of Prisoner of Heaven. This is partly true - it could indeed be read without reading the predecessors. However, there are references throughout here to plot points in the previous books that will make little sense to those who haven't read them. I personally wouldn't recommend this without having read Shadow of The Wind at least. I don't feel you need to have read Angel's Game.

Looking forward to the next instalment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it in 1 day!, 18 July 2012
M. Summerson (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Having read both Shadow of the Wind & Angel's Game, I was looking forward to reading the next addition to the trilogy and I wasn't disappointed. It gripped me from the first page and I read it in a single day. If any complaint exists, it could be slightly too short, but it shouldn't be scored down for this.

As the author states, the 3 books can be read in any order and whilst it did help in parts to have read the previous books, it's actually now encouraged to go back and read Angel's Game in a different light.

My wife wasn't a fan of Angel's Game, finding it quite dark, but with Prisoner of Heaven you are back with the romance of the city that was so perfectly brought to life in the first installment.

Go buy it, you won't be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Zafon classic, 17 July 2012
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Hardcover)
Carlos Ruiz Zafon is a master storyteller that can appeal to all readers, ages and abilities. For some the sheer thrill of the adventure stories is enough, for others the love of the Spanish backdrop and history is what engages, but for me the beautiful way in which the jigsaw of the three stories falls into place is both satisfying, believable and riveting. A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegaic, striking and magnificent, 22 Jun 2012
D.G. (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Hardcover)
The mysterious tang of these three books is lyrical and supernatural. It has the touch of great storytelling and elements of the magic realism that also work impressively in The Passion (Contemporary classics). It's an impressive saga and the type of novel that appears all too rarely.

The most impressive quality of this, and the one that lingers most with me, is the author's profound love and admiration of the written word. This isn't just apparent in his writing but in the love of the culture around literature, the bookshops that are the physical representation of many people's love affair with the written word. This is a magical subject and here the mystique and power of that shines through with brilliance.

After the recent trends of the last five years in books - Twilight, the Da Vinci Code, Stieg Larsson etc - it is wonderful to see and author with a deft and powerful touch rise to such prominence and success. I have no idea if the books are better in the original Spanish, but the translator must have done an excellent job because this particular volume is a delight to read.

As part of an odd commitment I made to myself, I'm also going to recommend that you read the bizarre but outstandingly funny and inventive Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Zombie Death Monkeys. It's completely different to this, but the author is clearly in love with language and has presented his bizarre ideas with the most wonderfully updated facsimile of Conan Doyle's style. An unusually original and successful book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first two, 24 Jan 2014
Feels more like a bridging book tying in the last two and preparing for the fourth, but that's o k

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 Oct 2013
Stephen McBride (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Paperback)
I loved 'The Shadow of the Wind', and I thought 'The Angel's Game' was even better. But this is very disappointing. It goes nowhere. It starts with the appearance of a strange and sinister figure, then goes into a long backstory from the grim early days of the Franco regime. When the sinister figure re-appears he is revealed as sad and irrelevant, and quickly departs the story. In the backstory a new figure appears as chief villain, but he never really emerges as anything more than a nasty but unremarkable Francoist functionary. Nothing much really happens. Nothing much is changed or resolved. There are hints and suggestions of dark things to come, but it is all really a matter of 'come back for the next thrilling episode' (and bring your money). I very much doubt that I will.

4.0 out of 5 stars From trilogy to quartet, 16 Sep 2013
I bought this thinking it was the final part in the trilogy of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, but after a fairly unsatisfactory ending I realised it's actually a quartet. It's still as great as the rest of the series, though not as terrifying as Angel's Game. (You find out more about that in this book actually so it all starts to make sense) As always, Zafon immerses you in his Barcelona. It's magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it., 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Paperback)
A gripping read. Can be read alone or with the other Barcelona novels by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The prisoner of heaven, 1 Sep 2013
I love this series! The warmth and depth of characters, I have taken them into my heart. Can't wait to r the final instalment.

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

The Prisoner of Heaven
The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Paperback - 11 April 2013)
6.95