5.0 out of 5 stars Mainly Fermin's story
I first entered `The Cemetery of Forgotten Books' in 2003 and `The Shadow of the Wind' instantly became one of my favourite novels of all time. 'Then came the darkness of `The Angel's Game' set in the 1920's which introduced the character of David Martin as well as providing a backstory for Sempere and Sons bookshop. `The Prisoner of Heaven' is the third instalment in...
Published 22 months ago by I Readalot

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly deflated...
I write here as a lover, not a hater, of the author.

But in this instance I feel underwhelmed and disappointed. Perhaps I built this book into something that it wasn't supposed to be, I loved Shadow of the Wind and enjoyed The Angels Game. The former is a standout, stand alone book, I went to Barcelona after reading it and looked at every door imagining the...
Published 20 months ago by Keith

‹ Previous | 117 18 19 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Left wanting more!, 26 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Hardcover)
I pre ordered this book as a huge fan of Zafon's work and was so excited when it arrived. I was a bit disappointed at the thinness of the book as I could read his work for years. It is beautifully written and I love the characters of the book and can't wait for the next installment but I feel I was shortchanged with the ending. So many unanswered questions?

Spoiler Alert ...... Im sure Cascos would have made sure Daniel was arrested?
What did he want with Daniel's wife?
Why has Valls disappeared?

I feel that it is part 1 of the book and I wish it had ended better but I wait in anticipation for the next one x

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 16 Aug 2012
david (manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Audio CD)
This is a terrible book. I loved Shadow of the Wind and also Angel's Game. This book has no story. Half of the book is Fermin telling Daniel about his past life, which includes details which he couldn't possibly know because he wasn't present. there is none of the characteristic spookiness which for me was a trademark of Zafon's writing. The audiobook is utterly awful too, with the narrator giving characters Yorkshire and Cockney accents! This book is set in the Barcelona of the 30s and 50s. No atmosphere. No story. No tension. Avoid.

3.0 out of 5 stars The third book in the series, 28 July 2013
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Hardcover)
I read Shadow of the Wind eight years ago, but have only a vague recollection of the plot and characters. I then jumped the second book, The Angel's Game, as I had an opportunity to borrow The Prisoner of Heaven. I don't think this was the best way to read this third book and I would probably have got more out of it if I'd had more of the background.
As a 'stand-alone', this was a little sparse. It basically filled in the details of the life of Fermin Romero de Torres, who works in the bookshop, Sempere and Sons, alongside Daniel Sempere and his father.

Fermin's narration of his past is prompted by the arrival of a mysterious stranger, who threatens to reveal all and disrupt the new life that Fermin has woven for himself. Inevitably, this tale has far reaching implications for those around him, which will, no doubt, be carried on into the final installment.

Hovering around this story is the impending marriage of Fermin to Bernarda, which is not legally possible, as Fermin does not have the necessary identity papers.
The 'Prisoner of Heaven' of the title, only makes the briefest of appearances.

I only gave The Shadow of the Wind three stars, so I doubt I shall go back and re-read it, though my curiosity has been roused by this recent read. I have The Angel's Game on my shelves and I must read that before The Prisoner of Heaven also becomes just a vague memory :)
3 1/2 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 3 Jun 2013
Having adored the other two books in the series, I was really looking forward to this. However, I get the feeling that this was written in a rush, to get it done for a publisher's deadline. The real point of this book is to explain the relationship bewteen the characters of the first book (Shadow of the Wind) and those of the Angel's Game. Good idea, but it doesn't really go anywhere after that. We learn about shocking abuses committed in Montjuic prison after the war, told in flashback, and are given bucolic, domestic (unnecessary?) insights into Fermín's preparations for his wedding, Daniel's marital concerns and attempts to bring in more money for the bookshop...but the mystery story goes nowhere. It reads more like a comedy novel at times. This book ends out on a limb, leaving us to think "what happens next", and setting us up for the next book (SPOILER: a new character arrives, and it's suggested that the villain is still around). Perhaps CRZ is doing what many in the film industry do these days, which is squeeze as much cash out of a series as possible, by drawing out what should be one novel/film into two.
Hope the next book gets better and has more substance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 20 May 2013
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Paperback)
I'm still reading this book but have just ordered The Watcher in the Shadows, which has a 5 star rating from 9 reviews. I can't comment other than to say, "a genital makeover" in 1957? I'm easily put off and that phrase worked a treat! I'm not sure who's responsible, the author or the translator!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Paperback)
Fantastic item, great quality book, brand new just like it said. It was deliverer fast and came when estimated. Thankyou

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Paperback)
I was looking forward to this having enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind a couple of Years ago, but i was a little disappointed.

The story was relatively easy to follow, though the telling of the tragic treatment of Fermin in jail and the way that he escaped and made a new life. It didn't have the atmosphere or intrigue that The Shadow of the Wind had.

That said, it is still well written and translated, and a pleasure to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfinished, 24 Feb 2013
After reading his first book in this series (The shadow of the wind) I expected the same level, but unfortunately that is not the case. It is well written, but doesn't really get into a story, only explanations about a past Daniel's friend Firmin endured. And the things Firmin tells about his past are not entirely possible to me, given his present character developments.
The ending comes too soon. Knowing that a fourth book will follow is really a lousy excuse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carols Ruiz Zafon......, 7 Jan 2013
Having read Carlos other books I am keen to read this one.

Certainly his original story of the trilogy is probably the best book i have ever read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Service was really great., 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Prisoner of Heaven (Hardcover)
Super quick delivery. I was a little disappointed that the front cover was ripped but as I bought it for myself I couldn't decided not to return it. I haven't read the book yet as I am a full time trainee teacher and have little time but I am hoping to read it over Chrismas, with a glass of something nice!

‹ Previous | 117 18 19 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xfef7018)

The Prisoner of Heaven
The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Paperback - 11 April 2013)
3.85