5.0 out of 5 stars A cabbies dream...Do not miss reading this book!!!
It took me a day and a half to read this book, in between jobs from Heathrow. An often used phrase "I couldn't put it down" really was so true this time. Tears and laughter flowed from the book and I spent a lot of time with moist eyes at the description of his relationships. The final chapter was as stunning a read that I have ever read.
A remarkable man....a...
Published on 7 Sept. 2011 by T. Parnham

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappioning, sadly
I was a huge fan of Pete Postlethwaite, so I was quite delighted to come across his autobiography, however sadly that's where the story ended.The story by its nature is very narrative, but it's as if the storyteller just didn't stop to draw breath. It's quite dark in parts especially when Pete describes his drug induced episodes. I must admit that unusually I did not...
Published 4 months ago by grampa joe

5.0 out of 5 stars A cabbies dream...Do not miss reading this book!!!, 7 Sept. 2011
T. Parnham (NORFOLK) - See all my reviews
A remarkable man....a remarkable actor. I have promised myself that I will make an effort to catch all the films that I missed of his, after reading what was put into them by him and the rest of the casts.
Do not miss reading this book

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible actor - incredible book, 26 Jun. 2011
there could have been no greater testimony.
the previously-untold story of our greatest actor, in candid, poignant humourous and fearless prose.
a scintillating read

5.0 out of 5 stars A memorable, and touching book, 1 July 2011
purplecat (milton keynes, uk) - See all my reviews
Just finished reading this book, it is a memorable and touching work, a fitting tribute to one of our greatest acting talents, who is sadly no longer with us.

I am proud to say that I was born and brought up in the same northern town as Pete - he never forgot his northern roots, which helped mould him into the wonderful actor he was.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Light shines through the dust, 3 Aug. 2011
This book reflects the circumstances it was dictated in, with more time it could have been better edited. Despite this Pete's commitment to live theatre and his pursuit of personal artistic goals and excellence even if there was a financial cost is conveyed well. This is an example to us all, go where the vision is not the material success. Pete finished an address to a school audience with these words 'Most of you will not want to become actors - but whatever you do in your future life do it with PASSION and COMPASSION'. His passion for acting, for his family, for his local community, for the environment and for life shine through this book. It is difficult to imagine we will never see him on the stage again, this book reminds us of what we are missing.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read., 20 July 2011
this book comes as a testament to an underated star of stage and screen.its an honest account of Petes life and the fact that it came out so soon after his passing makes it a poignant read.pulls no punches with the dialogue,he tells his story like it is,a great read and easy to pick up.

4.0 out of 5 stars The gentleman of South Shropshire., 9 Aug. 2011
As a near neighbour of Pete i can attest to the loss we are all feeling since his sad demise.This book is a great insight to a wonderful man and a very good actor.

5.0 out of 5 stars pete postlethwaite, 12 Mar. 2012
A. P. O'Brien (UK) - See all my reviews
Loved this - honest no holds barred chat about his life. There are 3 threads to this - Pete himself, acting and theatre and Liverpool. A great read - very sad to hear his last days - great man sadly missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper bloke, 28 April 2013
This review is from: A Spectacle of Dust: The Autobiography (Paperback)
A very entertaining autobiography from an interesting, decent, norther chap with steadfast integrity and principles. He stook to his guns and didn't chase the money. A great read. RIP Pete Postlethwaite.

5.0 out of 5 stars a damned good read, 3 Aug. 2012
G. Hough - See all my reviews
I bought this book thinking it was going to be another resume about his career? It turned out to be one of the best biographies I've read in a long time. Full of truth and hard knocks would reccomend it to anyone

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating life, 17 Nov. 2013
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I had the great good fortune to see Pete Postlethwaite on stage as both Lear and Prospero. He was mesmerising in both roles, although you could see, with hindsight, how ill he was becoming in his run as Lear as he was shockingly gaunt on stage. Having said that, he never wavered once in his commitment to such a difficult piece of theatre and it was interesting to see how he approached the roles from his own point of view, as he discusses them in his autobiography.

The book was a little rough in places, but that comes, as you expect, from the fact that it was put together after his death, and does not have the polish that he might well have expected or demanded had he lived to see it published.

It is a fascinating story of a richly lived life. He really seems to have sucked the marrow from the bones of every opportunity he was given, and the book is a pretty splendid testament to that.

A Spectacle of Dust: The Autobiography
A Spectacle of Dust: The Autobiography by Pete Postlethwaite (Paperback - 16 Feb. 2012)