TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 March 2015
This book is amazing! I opened it to the ‘Replacing a WC pan’ pages, walked into the bathroom with the book open and was able to describe everything involved to my sceptical husband (he still doesn't think I can do 'real' DIY). We then went into the kitchen with the very inconveniently placed radiator and I was able to discuss the process of moving it. I was even able to flip to the correct pages regarding building regulation compliance. All within an hour of the postie delivering the book!

While not as in-depth as I would like – for example after reading and re-reading the introductory pages (how house plumbing works in the UK) I still don’t know why my water pressure drops when the neighbour runs water (we’re in a semi-detached), it’s an excellent first step into plumbing and heating understanding and simple DIY. I’m glad to have it in my home library and can now look for other books with more detail. I do understand my husband's scepticism - he's a retired historic building conservation consultant and I know some of my ideas for our reno are not practical. This (and the other UK specific DIY books I've bought recently) book has been a huge help keeping my feet on ground and enabling informed discussion with my husband.
on 8 August 2014
Step by step, as it says in the title. Doesn't cover the idiosyncrasies of every house but that is to be expected. An extensive and comprehensive guide as per normal from RD titles. Invaluable to someone starting out on renovating their own home.
on 10 October 2015
The book arrived very quickly and in excellent condition. The book itself is very well laid out and it seems to cover all aspects of plumbing and heating systems in regards to how these systems work. I am a complete novice when it comes to DIY especially plumbing and I was hoping that this book would go into more detail on the processes of plumbing. That said it has now given me different options for me to try out when I do come to doing some plumbing work in the New Year.
on 25 September 2015
Arrived 2 days after ordering it.
I've had this book from the library for yonks, so thought I should find my own copy as it's gotten me out if a few scrapes and saved me money on plumbers! Good photos and the standard of well described instructions that you'd expect from RD.
Recommend.
on 23 May 2015
okay for anyone who is not to sure where to start or what to do
on 2 March 2015
Excellent source of useful info for the DIYer
on 7 June 2014
Very basic, if you have some knowledge of heating and plumbing you will probably not learn anything from this book
on 18 February 2016
Does what it said on the tin. Excellent quality and prompt delivery
on 7 April 2015
Easy to understand and follow, good product.
on 21 July 2015
helpful book, easy to follow instructions