5.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet
Published 20 months ago by Nick Kennerley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the most up to date version
I was about to buy this when a small box indicated that the edition for sale on Amazon is from 2009 while the "look inside" shows the 2013 edition, which is NOT available from Amazon at time of writing (April 2013). I dipped my toe in the water of a certain other bookseller's website, and stone me, guess where I bought mine for about 2 more?
Published 16 months ago by P. Waldron

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet, 18 Dec 2012
Nick Kennerley (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this along with the Brandt guide, and they both have their place. This little book is superb for a simple overvue. It's packed with history and information and has some hilarious personal touches. You'll find yourself chuckling out loud as you read it. As you explore the island you'll appreciate how well Graham Mercer has got to know every area of Zanzibar, and the inclusion of the best map you'll find anywhere makes it a great buy for that alone. Thanks to the map, when we were driving around the island we never got lost - especially as the signposting on Zanzibar leaves much to be desired! A great little purchase - highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but useful, especially for the map., 21 Feb 2012
J. Millman - See all my reviews
The short length of this book means it can't be as comprehensive as other guides, but it's good value and the removable maps (particularly the map of Stonetown, which can be very disorientating) are worth it. It doesn't go into that much detail on the history, and if you want to visit mainland Tanzania you should get another guidebook. It does contain a section for snorkellers/scuba divers - can't comment as we didn't do this, but it would be a selling point if you're intending to include this activity on your trip.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the most up to date version, 15 April 2013
P. Waldron (Ireland) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Badly written, not very easy to use., 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Zanzibar (Globetrotter Travel Pack) (Paperback)
I bought this guide on the strength of the reviews, but I was very disappointed. The book does not have a well thought out approach, no logical step-by-step process to guide you around the island - it was all very disorientating. I think you would need a familiarity of the Island to follow the guide to start with, which I do not have.

The writer is also clearly somewhat of a male chauvinist, and I found many of his observances distasteful.

The one good thing about the book is the pull-out map, that will no doubt be useful, unlike the book itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting guide book, 24 July 2010
We spent our honeymoon in Zanzibar relaxing in the hotel and at the beach nearby after an exhausting safari in Kenya. It didn't describe our particular beach or resort, therefore I can't comment too much on its accuracy. It seemed very informative and detailed and I still read the book cover to cover because I found the little facts and stories interesting. From hearing what other guests had to say it seems like a lot of whats in the book is covered on the tours but had I done any tours I think I still would have found the book interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars where you buy!!!!, 18 July 2011
Just been for a weeks holiday to Zanzibar and spotted this book in duty free priced at $30 in Zanzibar duty free. Sparked up the Amazon app on the phone. Had the item the deliver next day while traveling home. I am not sure why we have duty free!!!!

Zanzibar (Globetrotter Travel Pack)
Zanzibar (Globetrotter Travel Pack) by Graham Mercer (Paperback - 5 Jan 2013)
7.49
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available