5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning sugar flower bible
this is a must have for anyone who makes sugar flowers. with 96 different varieties you are guaranteed to find inspiration here. The instruction are clear well worded and simple to follow. The finished results are stunning. The author shows amazing skill. I pre ordered this book and i am more that happy with my purchase.

But with every purchase there is a down...
Published on 8 Oct. 2012 by paperlace

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but sad
Published on 14 Oct. 2012 by maggie's gorgeus cakes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but sad, 14 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Alan Dunn's Ultimate Collection of Cake Decorating (Paperback)
I am a big fan of Alan Dunn he is the master of sugar flowers and I have all his books therefore this book is a bit of a let down as much of the book is taken from his other books and there is little new in it so beware if like me you have all of Alan's books BUT if you don't have any of Alan's books then it is worth the money as Alan is expert at all things to do with sugar flowers

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning sugar flower bible, 8 Oct. 2012
paperlace (South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews

But with every purchase there is a down side and with this book i would advise that it is not for a beginner. So if you are just starting out by all means make this purchase because it will inspire you. But buy it with the knowledge that this book is aimed at the advanced crafter and assumes prior learning and experience. I have a workshop booked with Alan Dumm in november I hope he agrees to sign my copy. We will be making cyclamen I was hoping to get ahead and practice but it is not included in this book.

Oh by the way note that this is NOT a hard cover book disappointing but in my opinion not a reason to return it

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed!!!!!!!, 9 Oct. 2012
I own several of Alan Dunns floral sugarcraft books. I was excited when I found out that he was releasing a new book and immediately ordered it. It arrived before the date specified and was well packaged. It does not have a hardcover as specified in the description. I couldn't wait to look through it for ideas and inspiration. Sadly, this book has not lived up to my expectation, most of the projects are repeated from previous books with only a few new offerings. I have noticed a few repetitions in his other books but this is by far the worst!!!! Don't buy if you don't want to feel cheated. I won't be buying anymore of his books after this experience and will be returning this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 13 Oct. 2012
This is the first Alan Dunn book I have brought and I'm very pleased with it. I like the fact that many of the projects are from previous books as I was finding it hard to decide which book to get. All of Alan Dunns books are brilliant. I am not a complete beginner but I haven't been doing sugar craft very long, I find his instructions very detailed and easy to follow.

1.0 out of 5 stars Alan Dunn's Ultimate Collection of Cake Decorating, 15 Oct. 2012
Karen E. Blunden (hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Very disappointed, I agree with previous reviews, this is just a book made of his previous books. This SHOULD be mentioned in the description, this is not the first time this has happened to me. Having said this though if you do not own any of his books then this is probably a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truely a collection., 15 Feb. 2013
Amazon Customer "amfoster13" (Maidenhead, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This a collection of instructions from three previous Alan Dunn books and for me it is perfect as I don't have the other books; Tropical & Exotic Cakes, Celebration Cakes and Sugarcraft Flower Arranging.
This is master craftsmanship in sugar, it is very easy to forget that these flowers are sugar and not real. Inspiration for the sugarcrafter to achieve great things and how to do it, although with a lot of practise. Although I love this book, I would have liked more detailed instructions on the basic techniques used because they seem to be the basis for creating almost all the flowers, there were times when I thought "yes, but HOW ?" I assume that this book is aimed at crafters experienced in the various techniques such as frilling.
One drawback which seems common to Alan Dunn's books is photographing white paste against a very pale background in the step by step instructions, it doesn't help.
Absolutely no regrets buying this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Collection of Alan Dunn's work, 15 Oct. 2012
This is a collection of his work and it does specify that in the title so it is what i expected. I would however recommend you buy his other books for more step by step instructions on making flowers. This book a general collection of some of his work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 12 Oct. 2012
Heard alot about Alan Dunn's books so pre ordered.I was very disappointed with it being a beginner it was completely a waste of money I needed step by step diagrams to to help me learn the basics and then go on to the more complicated flowers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my grandsons girlfriend, 21 Dec. 2012
my grandsons girl friend is very good at cake making and decorating. She has quite a collection of your books and finds them very helpful. She is getting very clever at cake decorating. Merry Christmas

1.0 out of 5 stars Mistakes and missing steps, 11 Jun. 2013
I bought this book last year, one for me and one for my sugarcraft teacher. Our class has just started making one of the arrangemant and the gardenia instructions are missing step 7. Step 6 is at the bottom of one page and the next page starts at stage 8. Templates for some butterflies are on a different page to the one listed, page 247 not p227. The crescent spray lists 7 stems of smilax but at assembly stage 5 mentions ruscus NOT smilax. I have tried any of the other arrangements yet but am expecting further mistakes. Just NOT good enough!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Alan Dunn's Ultimate Collection of Cake Decorating
Alan Dunn's Ultimate Collection of Cake Decorating by Alan Dunn (Paperback - 5 Oct. 2012)