5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book
Excellent book for anyone thinking of learning to play the piano. Also useful for parents who are considering piano as an instrument for their child. Highly recommended.
Published 8 months ago by Christopher Francis Large

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing
90 per cent of this book is just common sense advice and information one could find anywhere on the web through Google. Very little practical advice and tips to help the student learn to play this highly challenging instrument.
Published 13 months ago by JWJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 4 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely primer, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: So You Want to Play the Piano? (Paperback)
For those of us who want a short primer (especially to help plan the kids' music teaching) this little beaut is a must. Clear, concise, and a perfect size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice, 10 July 2013
This review is from: So You Want to Play the Piano? (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book if you are an adult wanting to learn the piano or a parent looking for lessons for your children. You basically have insider advice from someone who knows the piano world inside out. The book makes you aware of all the pitfalls in choosing the wrong teacher with it's mantra "Remember, bad habits are very difficult to eradicate!". It would be such a shame not to have the best start, especially if you or your child turns out to be very talented. It's a very easy practical read, accompanied with summary bullet points of things to remember and inspirational quotes from famous composers. As an adult wanting to learn it has opened my eyes to what is involved in getting started and successfully getting playing. I have found it extremely useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Invaluable Book, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: So You Want to Play the Piano? (Paperback)
This little book is superb. It tells you everything you will ever need to know before taking piano lessons. Last week I sent it to friends who have children of the right age for starting to learn to play the piano, and now they will know all the necessary things to think about beforehand. Many people have no idea about poor or unqualified piano teachers and how they can have a really negative impact on learning, nor do they realize that some piano books are better than others, so this guide is really helpful in this respect. It is bound to be useful whether you are a parent, child or 'mature' learner as I once was myself! Do buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaques Samuel Pianos, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: So You Want to Play the Piano? (Paperback)
I wholeheartedly recommend Melanie Spanswick's book. It is a clear and concise publication that will be of great assistance to many facing the challenge of learning the piano.
Those who read this at the start of their journey will save much time and wasted energy. Brava Melanie.
Terence Lewis - Managing Director

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone who has anything to do with the piano, 7 Jun 2013
What can I say? Brilliant! Those out there who are just having a go, should keep in mind that according to the Guinness Book of Records, the piano is the hardest instrument to learn to play. Yes, it is a market economy and we all want to keep our customers happy, operative word being 'to keep' without loosing them. I am classically trained piano teacher and everything Melanie wrote in her book has been already said by me in various shapes and forms to my pupils and their parents not just once, but more times than I can remember! 'So You Want To Play The Piano?' should be made an obligatory read for all prospective parents. This is my favourite passage from the book: '...shouldn't start earlier than 4 years old'. That is so true, as we all know, professionals and not, that a certain WA Mozart was unique. Get the book - you will enjoy it! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C4EMAGW/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and to the Point, 9 April 2013
This review is from: So You Want to Play the Piano? (Paperback)
This is a great little book for being informative and getting to the point. The author clearly knows her stuff and has thought of just about everything that should ideally be going through someone's head before they either embark on playing the piano themselves or set their children off on a piano-playing journey. I wish my parents had had access to this book when they were supporting me to start playing the piano at the age of 8. None of us in the family had ever had any musical training, let alone had a piano in the house so we made all the classic mistakes which, with a bit of sound advice such as has been packed into this book, could have been avoided (wrong teacher, wrong instrument, almost complete focus on passing exams for the kudos of the teacher etc.). Many years on, I'm still a keen amateur pianist but often wonder what the outcome might have been if a book like this had been available, which I think sets out the basic building blocks very nicely. It's easy to read, well written and illustrated, and well sign-posted so you can find the particulars you're interested in quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars So You Want To Play The Piano, 7 April 2013
This little book is an absolute MUST for anyone thinking of taking up the piano, or sending their child to piano lessons!

I had 1 year of VERY basic tuition in my final year at school. I had to give up - no access to a piano when I finished school - but was inspired to start back again in adulthood (26 years later!). I have spent 6 months working my way through 3 piano "teachers" and feeling guilty about dumping them, as each 1 seemed to be obsessed with pushing me toward doing exams, but not (I felt) actually teaching me what I wanted - to improve my techniques, and avoid/remove bad habits. Every time I "dumped" a teacher, I had the nagging doubt that "maybe it's ME that's the problem" Melanie's book showed me I was right to trust my gut instinct!

Not everyone wants to play for the same reasons, and this informative and inspiring little book tells it like it is. It's full of reassuring information about how dire the standards of music teaching can be in the UK, but has a wealth of information of what to look for when picking a teacher. It covers everything you need to find, and select a teacher, and has the added bonus of explaining what to look for when buying/renting a piano/keyboard of your own.

I would urge every parent thinking of paying for lessons - and, indeed, any adult wishing to try piano - to read this book first! Next teacher I consider paying will have to undergo the 3rd degree from me this time - I now have the confidence to interview THEM, instead of them interviewing ME - as if I should consider it a privilege to pay them to teach me!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book if you're considering taking up the piano..., 1 April 2013
This review is from: So You Want to Play the Piano? (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book and I just wish it had been available years ago.

It's a "must read" for those who are considering taking up the piano, parents whose kids are showing an interest in piano lessons and pianists in the early stages of learning.

Melanie has impressive credentials and clearly knows what she's talking about. She tackles the many diverse aspects of learning the piano; choosing a suitable instrument, selecting a properly qualified teacher, deciding which examination board to follow (if you want to take exams), and the amount of time you will need to dedicate to practising the exercises.

A great guide with lots of practical advice and experiential insights.

This review is from: So You Want to Play the Piano? (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book and I just wish it had been available years ago.

A great guide with lots of practical advice and experiential insights.

So You Want to Play the Piano?
So You Want to Play the Piano? by Melanie Spanswick (Paperback - 25 Feb 2013)