4.0 out of 5 stars Nice read about a woman who wants some fun in her life, 10 Nov. 2011
JudithAnn (Houten, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men Dancing (Paperback)
Rosie Buchanan is a 30-something woman, married with children, working as a scientist in a hospital. She has a passion for music and in particular, ballet dancing. One day on the train, she finds herself sitting next to Royal Ballet star Alejandro Cortés, whom she adores, and they start a conversation.

When she accidentally comes across some information of his girlfriend while checking patient records, she pretends to come for a research visit at their house. She ends up becoming their piano teacher. Meanwhile, her marriage to Jez is not going well, and she finds herself attracted to another South-American, a colleague at work.

Attracted to two men, a man at home she's not much interested in anymore, a difficult teenager and an autistic younger son: she's got a lot on her plate.

This was a good read... eventually. It started off with the meeting in the train, which was a little over the top, followed by some chapters where I was a bit confused what was going on, followed by a chapter or two full of dance-obsession and Alejandro obsession.

But after that, it settled down into a nice read, towards the chick-lit-y side but not quite. With all the passion going on, you might expect a lot of (explicit) sex, but there was less than there could have been, it was not that sort of book.

At first, I found Rosie a bit silly with her teenage fan behaviour towards the dancer Alejandro but later I warmed to her. And I wanted her to get away from an obviously "wrong" man who was trying to control her in every way.

Rosie wants out of her boring life and live the life of her dreams. But then a shocking event puts her back firmly with her feet on the ground.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this one, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Men Dancing (Paperback)
I am usually more of a romance reader, but this was recommended to me as a lover of dance and I'm so glad.

The other reviews have already captured a lot of what worked in this book for me...the maddening and yet relatable characters, the storyline barreling toward a conclusion you never would have seen coming. I loved this book for so many reasons. Because I love dance and have also crushed on male ballerinas. Because I'm in a long time marriage wrangling children and stress and because I too have dreamed about starting a whole new life, but as Ms. Radford shows in this story, life is never simple.

I also liked the theme of how those little choices we make in life--like which car we choose on a train--can take us places we never would have expected and bring us glories and miseries we never could have foreseen. Aside from the myriad human themes (which I am only touching on here) this book was also just compulsively readable. Once I started I had to know how everything ended up in this very complex story.

This is just a really great, beautiful complex book, particularly for someone like me who empathizes with the main character, Rosie, so much. I'm planning to read this again and pay more attention to the details next time around. I really buzzed through it on the first reading just so I could know how it all panned out. But I know that upon re-reading and really soaking everything in I'll find it an even deeper and more moving book. I highly recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ!!!!, 24 Oct. 2011
Danielle M. Perez (OCALA, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men Dancing (Paperback)
This is a story about a woman named Rosie, who finds herself lost in her daily tasks of working, being a wife, and being a mother. Rosie eventually finds herself in the midst of an affair, and her life turns into complete turmoil. This novel is the perfect example of why you do not count a novel out until the very end. I found myself reading the story and absolutely hating the actions of all the characters, but yet I could not stop reading. I had to find out what was going to happen. I learned something new from this novel; a character does not always capture you for positive reasons. Sometimes the screw ups they make can have you just as sucked into the story. I was yelling at the book, and calling characters foul names, but then the end tied everything completely together. Rosie is a relatable character. As a mother and a wife myself I sympathized with her, and wanted to slap her all in one. By the end of the book I had tissues next to me balling my eyes out in shock. The ending is completely unpredictable and I love when I can be taken by surprise. I recommenced this novel to adult readers only.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very moving and down to earth book, 22 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Men Dancing (Paperback)
This is the story of Rosie, a wife and mother slightly discontented with life. Her husband has a habit of cheating on her, she has an autistic son and her oldest son is starting to become an 'enfant terrible'. Her main love in life is the Ballet. A chance meeting with a ballet dancer on a train sets off a chain of events that will change her life forever.

For a debut book this was amazing, and endorsed by Sir Bruce (Forsyth) himself! Rosie was a very likeable and identifiable heroine. I am a partner and a mother myself so I could relate to her problems especially as my youngest has attention problems. The characters were all well-defined and I had no trouble imagining them. The storyline was believable and went along at a fair pace until just before the end when it took a shocking twist. I am sitting here with hanky in hand just thinking about it!

In short this is a very good book - if you like the Ballet and dancing you will love it. For a debut novel it shows great promise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for dance fans..., 11 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Men Dancing (Paperback)
I found the parallels between the personal life of the author and the fictional life of the lead character to be interesting - I wonder what her family made of the story! But then, the blurring of autobiographical details in a novel helps to add real depth and believability. (And she's in good company - many people assume that Kathy Reichs' real life is the same as her creation Temperance Brennan since they share many features.)

The fantasy of meeting someone famous and then actually having the chance to get to know them (and more) is not a new one, but Cherry Radford makes it all feel so very likely. Events lead into each other in a way that feels very true to life, and it's the little details that help to make the story come alive.

As someone whose usual fare is either crime drama or science fiction/fantasy I am glad that I took this diversion and think that this is a story for anyone who is interested in a good love story, not just for the "dance set."

5.0 out of 5 stars Men Dancing - the best Christmas present you can buy!, 13 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Men Dancing (Paperback)
I bought this book as a friend had recommended it to me. I know nothing (much) about ballet, but thought I'd give it a go anyway. What a wonderful book! I was hooked from page one. There were so many pages where I had a huge smile on my face. There were some when I actually laughed out loud, and many more where I saw myself in the situation that was being played out on the pages. I loved it, absolutely and totally. The ending completely took me by surprise - and I have to admit to shedding both tears of sadness and happiness! I started by rationing myself to a few chapters at a time, but once I'd hit chapter 16 I read the whole of the rest of the book in one sitting. I could imagine every scene, every house, every hotel - and although sometimes I read it so fast I felt that I might have missed out a detail here and there, it was riveting from start to finish. I urge you to read this - and can't wait for her next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll Enjoy This One, 2 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Men Dancing (Paperback)
It was refreshing to find a new author whose work I enjoyed so much. There were none of the signs of a novice at work here as it's a very polished work and one that's totally absorbing. I warmed to Rosie immediately, empathising with her blushing clumsiness when realising she was sitting next to her idol in a crowded train. I think a major factor in her appeal is that she doesn't come across as a perfect heroine, she's just as bad as the rest of us with tatty hair and hastily chosen clothes. The story of Rosie realising her dreams through dance will keep you reading into the wee small hours. You just feel as though you've lost a friend when the story comes to an end, so I'm looking forward to the next book from Cherry Radford.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 24 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Men Dancing (Paperback)
So much more than chick lit, this is funny, moving and sexy. Cherry Radford has brilliantly captured what it is to be forty-ish and in a long term relationship when temptation not only beckons but shouts the place down. Obsessive feelings towards a beautiful man? Don't tell me we haven't all had them, and here's what happens if you really can't let them go. Her perceptive writing also provides great insight into the difficulties of parenting teenagers and the pleasures and pitfalls of having an affair with someone you work with.
I've never been one for talking to strangers on trains, but after reading this, I think I've been wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first novel - write more please, 1 Jan. 2012
Candy Jeffries (st albans, herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men Dancing (Paperback)
Cherry Radford has written about what she knows best, bringing together the surprising and unusual fields of opthalmology and ballet, and the result is a highly believable novel that takes the reader to new and interesting worlds. Before reading this book I would have said that I had no knowledge of and little interest in the world of ballet, but I loved this book and as a result learnt a great deal.
Cherry really brings her characters to life and makes you care about them, and I am not ashamed to say that I cried at the ending. It was so unexpected.
Bravo! A great first novel. I can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Debut Novel Well Worth Reading!, 6 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Men Dancing (Paperback)
Cherry Radford has certainly hit the literary stage running with her debut novel entitled `Men Dancing'! To add to its credit, this book has already been endorsed by the BBC1 Series `Strictly Come Dancing' presenter Bruce Forsyth. This is a fantastic tribute for a debut novel to receive!

`Men Dancing' is a book that presents the reader with a vivid and imaginative story about Dr Rosie Buchanan, a weary hospital scientist who among other things could be described as a frustrated musician, a cheated wife and a struggling mother! Within this already complex mix, a multifaceted and moving story of betrayal, obsession, passion, loss and redemption is played out within the pages of this very well written narrative.

The story found within the book is fairly fast paced and has a very good flow from chapter to chapter. It is one of those books that once started can be quite difficult to put down, as the reader wants to find out what happens next!

This narrative could be described as being sad, some what sensual in places and yet quite humorous in other parts. Rosie the principal character within this story seems to walk herself right into a number of situations that one could only think that if this happened in reality one would 'run away', as these add immensely to the complexities of the life that she is already facing! There is a small amount of adult content within the story, but it does fit in appropriately with the tale that is being told.

Cherry Radford is a fresh new author on the block. As her first novel, `Men Dancing' is an excellent book, I am really looking forward to reading further works that will hopefully be written by this new up and coming author fairly soon.

Men Dancing
Men Dancing by Cherry Radford (Paperback - 29 Oct. 2011)