on 6 November 2013
I will admit, when 11 year old Tavi Gevinson first began popping up in all of my favourite art and fashion magazines, I really was not a fan. Now, a few years later she is a teenager and her personal fashion blog 'Style Rookie' has turned into a collaborative project with a lot more substance. Tavi has used her resources and connections to find a group of talented teenage writers, photographers, artists and graphic designers who produce content that she edits. Rookie Yearbook is all of the articles published on their website over a year combined into an annual book, complete with interviews and guest content provided by indie celebrities including Lena Dunham and Emma Watson.
I am now in my twenties and I just wish that Rookie had been around when I was a teen. The articles cover everything from body image issues to falling out with friends and everything in between, combined with cute drawings, dreamy photo shoots, DIY's and very cool playlists.
I ordered Rookie Yearbook 1 after thumbing through it in a shop and being pleasantly surprised with the layout and sheer volume of content, and Yearbook 2 certainly lives up to the first one. These books are not teen specific, the advice can still be applied to adult situations and the ethereal photo styles are extremely pretty to look at.
All in all I take my hat off to Tavi and her amazing team, they are doing a fantastic job at providing advice and information to teenagers in a cool and thoughtful way. Not only are the essays insightful and articulate, but they are also packaged beautifully.
A great gift for any young person or adult, it (almost) made me want to be a teenager again...but I am more than happy to revisit those years vicariously through Rookie instead!
on 9 February 2014
So stylish and thoughtfully produced. The photo shoots feature thrifted clothes, which I think it so intelligent and wonderful, as then teenagers don't feel bad that they cannot afford the clothes. They can! It's all about inventiveness.

I originally bought this for a teenage cousin, and then I had to buy it for myself. I'm 27. I wish, wish, wish this had been around when I was younger but I'm lucky now to have read it. The journalistic style is fresh and opinionated and unabashedly political(ly left) though never in an off-putting way. The pieces are thought-provoking and always helpful. They encourage teenage girls to be confident and to take charge of their own destinies. Some lovely fiction (or perhaps memoir?) in there too. Also represents and features writers not just from the major cities, which is a big concern for me.

I really could not recommend it more. I'd say it's good for ages 13 and up, though a mature 12 year old could handle it. Does talk about sex, but always in an empowering way. Also gives advice about periods, how to not get pushed around by boys etc
on 11 December 2013
A Fab quality book bought for a requested Christmas present for my 19 year old daughter.I highly recommend it for this age group.
on 2 January 2014
Real information that teenagers want to read. Great for capturing the mind. Definitely recommend it to a mother for a teen.
on 25 April 2015
This is such a treat. The entire publication is made to an extremely high quality and all the articles are fair, relatable and at times, deathly humorous. Great for teenage girls and young women everywhere, Rookie really tackles contemporary problems.
on 20 January 2015
Present
on 11 December 2013
First of all this book is Very American. I bought it for my mature 15 year old daughter but the content is too sexually explicit and subject matter is better suited to adults. Would return this book if it was worth the effort.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse