4.0 out of 5 stars Literary comics, 27 April 2013
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons (Hardcover)
The brilliantly titled "You're All Just Jealous of my Jetpack" is a collection of Tom Gauld's strips for The Guardian newspaper most of which are humourous takes on literary topics. The title itself is an observation that literary books tend to look down upon genre novels, especially sci-fi, even though they can be as important, and more often than not more imaginative, than general fiction.

The book has a strip per page and the excellent strips far outweigh the lesser ones. "Mister Victorian Novel" was hilarious as was "Errors in Dan Brown's new novel", and "5 errors in the Martin Amis cartoon". Gauld mixes clever commentary on art and literature with wit and a great sense of humour to create excellent comics. I could go on with the best comics I liked in this book - the Fiction Police, Book Cover Design is Easy, Inspector God Omniscient Detective - but I'll just say, if you enjoy comics that are funny and tend to focus on literature, you'll get a lot out of this book.

Tom Gauld's an excellent cartoonist, check out his great book-length comic "Goliath" from last year, if you enjoyed this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, quirky cartoons, 29 May 2013
A simply outstanding collection of Tom Gauld's off the wall musings on everything, in one appealing volume. The Owl and the Seasick Pussycat, in particular, is sublime. Completely wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 30 Oct. 2013
Tom Gauld is the best cartoonist of our generation. Discuss.
This is superbly crafted and weighted to hit between high and low-brow. Right in the middle.
Made me laugh out loud, and so addictive I had to ration myself on holiday. I have bought five for Christmas presents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 7 Aug. 2013
Ilona Bell (York, England) - See all my reviews
The quality of this book was amazing and the comic strips are very amusing if you're into literature. The pages were glossy and thick and the binding was excellent. Would make a lovely gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart comics, 18 Sept. 2013
Tom Gauld's strips convey intellectually engaging messages through a combination of wording and drawing style which has no equals: neat, concise, and efficient yet unbelievably expressive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading, 27 Jan. 2014
Peter Rose "Peter Rose" (London UK) - See all my reviews
I believe that Tom Gauld is one of the finest comic cartoonists working today. His peculiarly English mix of social satire and surrealism has me in paroxysms of laughter every time I read his stuff. (That's POLETIRHS for txt gnrashun rdrs)

5.0 out of 5 stars yet wonderfully illustrated comics, 24 Sept. 2014
Simple, yet wonderfully illustrated comics. Very humorous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 25 Oct. 2013
I see it as a special format of literature, a picture book for adults.
The humor is superb, the references are hilarious, the whole quality of the read is on level with a full novel, even though stripe-comics are a genre of less detailed content.
This thematic and style of entertainment and education is an excellent choice for the well-read, young and hip intellectuals, only now discovering the wonders of the written word, of artistic imagination and of stylish stylization.. :P

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Dec. 2014
As described, thank you.

You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons
You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons by Tom Gauld (Hardcover - 9 April 2013)