Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 February 2012
I have been reading quite a lot of stories from this era as I missed national service by a few years and was keen to read about things that I could potentially have been involved in. If you looking for some good reading on Koevoet I'd say go with Sisingi Kamongo's book (Shadows in the Sand). A better personal account you won't find. I found Zulu Zulu Golf good but it seemed more about the author and less about Koevoet. Granted, that may have been the aim of the book but it didn't do as much for me as Shadows.
on 5 January 2012
I'm not sure what the author had planned for this book. I've read lots of other biographies about people who spent time in the military, but there was far more attention to detail. It feels for me as though the author was just rabbiting on and occasionally mention something that occurred while he was with Koevoet. Most of the action seems to occur in the last 2 chapters or so. And I have to agree with one of the other reviewers, far too much swearing, so much so it felt unrealistic. Koevoet was one of the most ruthless groups in the Police during the South African border Wars and that's what I was hoping to read about, unfortunately not.
on 3 November 2014
This is a brutally honest account of the author's time with Koevoet, the paramilitary police unit, fighting a bloody war against ruthless terrorist infiltration in Angola and Namibia. Durand pulls no punches: in the bush, away from the public eye and the outraged pens of the left-wing journalists, there was little room for pity. Anyone with an interest in the conflict in Africa should read Zulu Zulu Golf, and Durand's follow-up, companion volume, Zulu Zulu Foxtrot. I recommend these books.
on 12 December 2012
My husband loves this type of book, and has everything Arn Durand has written. If Koevoet interests you then it's worth buying.
on 5 June 2011
A Hundred Feet Over Hell: Flying with the Men of the 220th Recon Airplane Company Over I Corps and the Dmz, 1968-1969

Based on a partial chapter sent to me by Mr Durand prior to publication of Zulu Zulu Golf, I wrote a glowing 5-star review and allowed my photo and testimonial to be used on the cover. This was a significant error in judgement. When I received a copy of the book, I was dumbfounded; there was little I recognised from my five months as an embedded journalist with Koevoet. The period covered predates my time there by a few years, but I can categorically state that I neither saw nor heard anything that remotely resembled the sadism Mr Durand describes in this badly-written account. I immediately contacted Zebra Press to demand that, in the unlikely event the book enjoys a second print run, my contributions will not appear. I extend apologies to anyone who bought the book as the result of my initial review.

[...]
on 23 November 2011
Why the "white man guilt" opening?
Stop apologizing already.
You were defending innocent civilians from murderers. Armed communist terrorists intent on killing unarmed people.

There are some historical accounts somewhat off.
But it has been 30 years on.
Politicians, still betray the people, black and white.

There is an overkill on the F*** word, somewhat unnecessary on a book written 30 years after the war.
When it was getting interesting the book ends with what is supposed to be a poem! Is there a sequel?
on 16 February 2014
Really a good read if you are at all interested in the subject of Koevoet and the Angolan war. Provides a informative and honest insight into something that most people have no idea of.
on 15 November 2011
Coming from South Africa and having done National Service I have a real fondness for the genre and have read most of whats available on Amazon. The author tells the story plainly and honestly. I could just about smell the diesel and cordite. I hope theres a follow up in the pipeline!
on 29 November 2015
Excellent service without fault.