5.0 out of 5 stars A great Field Guide
Published 15 months ago by Calum J Innes

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for the kindle.
I have this as a Kindle edition and it's worse than useless as it's in black and white.
Published 2 months ago by Ms. Susan Shearman

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Field Guide, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Kenneth Newman's Birds of Southern Africa (Paperback)
I bought this book and sasol's for a trip to South Africa. I bought both as I was visiting with a friend and thought that it would be good to have two reference guides. In summary I would say that they are both first class as a field guide. My friend preferred the Sasol edition whilst I seemed to pick up Newman's first. I liked the fact that Newman's had a 'tick list' included in the index which was helpful in keeping track of many new species. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An old friend, 1 Jan 2013
John M. Macdonald (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kenneth Newman's Birds of Southern Africa (Paperback)
I bought the third edition of Newman's Birds over 25 years ago when I worked in Malawi. It was to replace an old edition of Roberts South African Birds which didn't quite cover that area at that time. Newman's was easily the best then and looking through all the available competition it still is. The maps in the new edition are more detailed and the printing crisper. The information has changed a bit with time as it must. I enjoyed using the book and it's cover is now rather battered but it's the one I will be taking with me to the Kruger later in the year.

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for the kindle., 23 Aug 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: Kenneth Newman's Birds of Southern Africa (Paperback)
Lovely book, very well organised, beautiful illustrations and easy to read. I did however want a book to take with me to refer to when visiting Zambia but this one is very heavy so not suitable for this. It is an excellent book and very good value for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A companion for a safari to Zambia, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: Kenneth Newman's Birds of Southern Africa (Paperback)
I'm a sometime birdwatcher, and this is a good comprehensive guide. Even now with digital photography illustrations are still twenty times better than photographs when it comes to identifying species, and this is a good example.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 Oct 2014
Bought this for my kindle- but obviously needs to be in colour!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bang up to date - the best African Bird book out there., 5 Nov 2010
This review is from: Kenneth Newman's Birds of Southern Africa (Paperback)
A little biased perhaps, given that I am married to Vanessa Newman, who has spent the last year fully updating this book - adding many birds, illustrations, updating maps, updating names, improving layout, and information. A great tribute to the late Kenneth Newman. The legacy lives on!

Kenneth Newman's Birds of Southern Africa
Kenneth Newman's Birds of Southern Africa by Kenneth Newman (Paperback - 1 Nov 2010)