4.0 out of 5 stars Pocket Sized & Brief, 16 July 2013
Mr. K. B. Roylance (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds of Southern Africa (The Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
Needing to conserve weight in luggage,this handy guide provides small photos of the bird species of South Africa with location maps. A handy guide to pop into a pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide for non ecologists!, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: Birds of Southern Africa (The Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
My husband is an ecologist and as an animal scientist myself I often accompany him on trips to Africa. I must admit that birds are not my strong point (understatement of the year) however over the last five years I've slowly started to pick up the skills required using his traditional bird books that have drawings rather than images. This brings me to what I feel is the main advantage of this book. The photographs! As a total amateur birder I find it much easier to ID birds from photos. I know twitchers everywhere will be screaming at the screen about detail etc etc however seeing the actual bird in an image has been far more useful to me in six months than similar books with drawings. The book is easy to use and small which is handy on field trips. I would recommend for anyone just starting out with their birding or anyone that prefers clear glossy photographs

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect first bird book., 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Birds of Southern Africa (The Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
Just recently returned from a holiday safari in South Africa/Swaziland. This book may be small but it was very useful for the uninitiated bird watcher. To my surprise is helped me ID about 99.9% of the population of bird life...and believe me I saw some rare birds. I took it with me to hides and on hikes......it was small enough to fit in my pocket for quick reference. So glad I had it with me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Who is Fred Gardener?, 24 Aug 2013
Mr. Fred Gardener "Fermain" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds of Southern Africa (The Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
I don't know who this guy Fred Gardener is but I hope that he enjoyed the items as much as me.
The book does all that I wanted it to do

5.0 out of 5 stars Good gift, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: Birds of Southern Africa (The Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
Bought this for my brother in law who's going to visit his son in South Africa and was told to bring his binoculars and a bird book. He's thrilled with it. It's clear, precise and small enough to be practical.
Lets hope he sees the birds when he's there!

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Birds of Southern Africa (The Pocket Guide) (Paperback)
Lots of detail, pictures, descriptions, calls etc. It is probably my own fault but I did not find it overly easy to look up birds seen as I am not yet familiar with the way they are categorised

Birds of Southern Africa (The Pocket Guide)
Birds of Southern Africa (The Pocket Guide) by Ian Sinclair (Paperback - 1 April 2009)
6.87