on 19 March 2011
I brought this book because we are off on safari on Botswana and I wanted a spotters guide to help indentify the more unusual wildlife. This certainly covers it. The book is well laid out all insects, mammmals, birds, plants etc... are in their own colour coded chapters. The pictures are clear and the discription is brief but informative.
It is a little on the heavy side, but that is due to the amount of information contained, this book will be going in to my hubby's backpack rather than mine!
We are also travelling to Zambia, to Victoria Falls, the Lonely Plant guide to Southern Africa covers Zambia, but this book doesn't cover North of Botswana which is shame, but I am sure the wildlife will not be any different.
If you want an easy to use spotters guide to wildlife & plants you can't go wrong with this book.
on 24 August 2011
We bought this guide for a teenager's volunteering trip to a wildlife reserve in South Africa. Considerations of size and comprehensiveness were paramount. It did the job and now my son can identify most antelope species in the field as well as a range of other animals. Would recommend this for anyone planning a wildlife holiday in Southern Africa, or a longer stay.
on 12 December 2013
The Wildlife of Southern Africa is a very good book covering as it does not only the mammals, birds, fish, reptiles etc but also the flora(trees, shrubs & flowers - highly recommended
on 6 October 2012
This book I have bought for my grandson as an addition to his Christmas present list. We went to Kenya on holiday this year, which also took us on safari. My grandson loved this and later asked for a book on the same so that he could do a lot more reading up on the animals and life that he saw whil'st we were there. We all enjoyed our visit immensely and this book will help him to remember what a happy time we had together enjoying the scenery and wildlife there ...
on 28 July 2013
I wanted to take this book on a safari holiday to Namibia, Botswana and Zambia to help me identify the numerous animals, birds, flora and fauna I expected to see .... and I wasn't disappointed. A great book and widely used at many of the Lodges we stayed at.
on 19 April 2013
This is a brilliant book. It is just perfect for wandering around Kruger National Park. Would thoroughly recommend this to others.
on 1 January 2016
Excellent book, will really help in identifying some of the animals, etc. that I photographed on a recent holiday.
on 4 January 2012
great son loved it. my son will be using it when he goes to africa with his uni thanks :)
on 27 May 2015
very comprehensive, but somewhat heavy for travel.
on 2 March 2016
Concise, easy to reference and good artwork.