4.0 out of 5 stars Jumping frog, 29 Aug 2014
MisterHobgoblin (Melbourne) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hamburger Gourmet (Hardcover)
I’ll start by saying that my peeps love this book. They like burgers and they love the recipes from this book that I have road tested (hence the four stars).

However, from the cook’s perspective, it seems like an awful lot of effort – and no small expense on ingredients – for something that looks like a straightforward end product.

Much of the effort goes into making the buns. The recipe produces sweetish, brioche like buns. They do taste good but tend to be a bit liable to crumble as you eat them, yet feel a bit doughy in the mouth. Perhaps it’s just that I am used to a drier, bready bun but these buns require a lot of time and effort for something that doesn’t feel quite right.

The burgers themselves seem to be nothing more than pressing meat together and hoping it sticks. It does, and it is nice to be given permission to undercook the beef. We all like that. But the burgers themselves tend to lack flavour as they are not seasoned.

The differentiation is in the garnishes, sauces, relishes and cheese. It is all quite straightforward, but the pressure is created by having to get everything to come together at the same time. There’s a lot of banging pots (don’t expect to have many clean pots left at the end of the process) and assembly can be quite fiddly – especially for a family of five. Most of the flavours work well, but the recipe for blue cheese sauce comes out very runny and you’ll only need a fraction of the quantity. Many of the recipes also seem to require some exotic ingredient that will end up with running around town in despair – like an episode of The Apprentice.

I half wonder whether this book was ever intended to be used as a cookbook, or whether it was actually just an advert for the Hamburger Gourmet restaurant to show how much effort their burgers take. Of course, given that the challenge is in doing many things at once, having a fully staffed kitchen would make things much easier. I have found myself starting to cut corners (e.g. buying ready made pesto) and once you start doing that, you might as well be designing your own burger combinations.

5.0 out of 5 stars At first glance disappointing - but then you try them, and there is no going back!, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Hamburger Gourmet (Hardcover)
This is a great book! When I received it in the mail, I was a little disappointed - most of the recipes just seemed... well, simple and dull. But man, I was wrong! They work, beyond my imagination. Heavenly burgers indeed and now I'm addicted to this book. It will be a while before I go back to the more "traditional" burger. And the homemade ketchup recipe? You will never, EVER want to buy a bottle of Heinz again.
If you dare to think outside the "Burger" box - this book is for you. My only complaint would be that the patties are not always that inspiring - but then I would suggest you go to the "El Bulli Family Meal" to get a good, decent and simple patty recipe. But I'm not going to take a star away because of that - having family in France, I know that all good butchers make a great "steak haché" - which is not the case where I come from. So I can forgive the book for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing recipes, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Hamburger Gourmet (Hardcover)
I brought this for my husband as this is the only thing he likes to cook. Great book with some amazing recipes. Slowly working our way through them all, yum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hamburger Heaven, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hamburger Gourmet (Hardcover)
This book takes the humble hamburger to delicious new heights. The combinations of ingredients range from classics done well to exciting new ideas. The introduction covers everything you need to know to create these wonderful burgers including making your own sauces and buns. Everyone who has looked through this book has remarked on how hungry it makes them feel. I challange anyone to look through this and not immediately want to make one. The photography is simple but very well done with each recipe getting a full page. I've got plenty of pages marked to try and I can see this becoming a firm favourite in our house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for present, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hamburger Gourmet (Hardcover)
Good book, easy to follow recipes, so I've been told by the recipient. Quick look through showed the variety. Very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like hamburgers - you will love this!, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hamburger Gourmet (Hardcover)
Contemporary and attractive cover with superb contents! If you love hamburgers you will love this book. It features many different and exciting recipes to create hamburger feasts!

5.0 out of 5 stars YUM YUM, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Hamburger Gourmet (Hardcover)
Great book, daughter loves trying out the recipes on her partner who seems to be enjoying the experiments so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 8 Jan 2014
L. Druckman - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hamburger Gourmet (Hardcover)
Bought for my husband who likes a BBQ and burgers!! It's the only thing he does cook!! He loves this book. Within a week we've already had burgers for dinner. Like all the little extras too. Like how to make buns and relishes etc- secretly I want to have a go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas gift, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Hamburger Gourmet (Hardcover)
Bought for my husband for christmas I'm hoping he likes it, he loves cooking. Let's hope it's a winner. Yummy.

4.0 out of 5 stars These burgers are not 'just' burgers!, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Hamburger Gourmet (Hardcover)
I have to confess, I love burgers and have made home made burgers to varying degrees of success. Having seen a recipe from this book somewhere, I decided to purchase it and haven't been disappointed.

The book, as with so many hardback cookbooks is beautifully presented, the recipes are clear to follow with clear easy to follow steps and ingredient lists well laid out.

The book gives ideas of accompaniments (different types of cheese to suit different burgers for example) and relishes - many of the burgers have specific recipes for relishes included.

The product description says 58 recipes- this did put me off a bit. However, the book includes a few vegetarian options- and a wide range of burgers including meat and fish and gives different flavour combinations i.e. spices and honey!, as well as the relishes which could be used independently.

I have to be honest and say that the book isn't worth the RRP but at the current discounted price, if you love burgers and want a change from the run of the mill, this book is worthwhile!

Hamburger Gourmet
Hamburger Gourmet by Victor Garnier (Hardcover - 7 Nov 2013)
10.49