Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 17 July 2013
Saw these eccentric women on the television being interviewed. Was so intrigued, I ordered a book. Have started and will take it on Summer holiday with me. Full of great wisdoms, recipes and mad capers these two get up to. I am now looking forward to getting old and being outrageous.!
on 6 August 2013
I bought this book having seen the two ladies being interviewed on tv. As someone who has no intention of working until I am 66 with a husband who wants to go off travelling I thought it would be a good read. Liz and Hil (Hilary) were friends at Cheltenham Ladies College many years ago and then drifted apart with Liz going in to the Civil Service in the UK and Hil emigrating to Australia. At 55 Liz retired and on a trip to Oz got back in touch with Hil. They then decided to go travelling together through a number of planned holliers (as they call them). It is very jolly hockey sticks and is told by Hil who, as well as describing the places they visit, also goes into their antics and relationship. It certainly gives you a bit of a flavour of some of the places although it is nowhere near a travel guide. Some of the things they get up to are really funny - Hil peeing on a seat at breakfast one morning is one example! These ladies travelled for 15 years and the last trip they did was with Hil's 14 year old granddaughter which throws another view on the places they visit. This is a very easy read and if you are thinking of travelling when you retire and looking for inspiration then I'd certainly recommend this book
on 28 April 2014
Concept is good but the result is dire. The book is written totally from Hilary's point of view, unfortunately she applies the same methodical and efficient approach to organising the travel arrangements to her writing. This is more like reading an itinerary than a memoir - we went by this method of transport to this place and saw this! The book lacked any warmth or descriptions that should have made you feel you were there with the travellers. Liz seems to be an opinionated character whom you may or may not like but perhaps it would have been good to have her point of view particularly as she makes money by writing travel articles.

I did not get any feeling of friendship between Hilary and Liz, there was no warmth in the characters, they just seemed to rub along together in order to not be travelling alone. As to being 'outrageous' there was no real evidence of this apart from the odd drunken night.

Avoid this book as you would the writers if you were ever unfortunate enough to come across them on your travels.
on 23 September 2013
I love travel books and thought this was going to be full of all the places they travelled to, in fact it merely skipped over the places they went to and it was almost as if the author couldnt remember half of the things that happened!! I skipped huge chunks of it, something I have never done before, but it was hard going and I did not enjoy it at all.
VINE VOICEon 30 October 2015
l got two thirds of the way through this book and gave up, which is very unusual for me. l fail to see what's outrageous about the two ladies (l use the term very loosely in one case) except for behaviour and manners. And don't think l'm a youngster with an ageist view - l'm not much younger than the two women.
l didn't mind Hilary too much, but Liz came across as rude, ill mannered and ignorant. lf l'd been on holiday with anyone like that, it'd be a one off, believe me. l think the worst bit for me was when she knocked her red wine over another guest's designer ivory silk skirt and shoes, and seemed totally unconcerned that they were ruined, and didn't even bother to apologise or offer to pay to have them cleaned.
lf you're thinking of buying this book, don't waste your money. You're welcome to have mine. For free.
on 13 August 2013
The title promises an amusing romp through life. Actually it is a book where 2 irritating women irritate each other but then collapse into unexplained fits of hilarity and the link between these disparate characters is never satisfactorily explained.There are informative, descriptive passages but not interesting enough to carry the book. Personally I would not want to travel with either of these people but I continued to the end hoping the author would get into her stride - but she never did. There were faint glimmers of humour and I think the author might improve with future writings, but not in this format.
on 18 August 2013
I bought this book because i enjoy travel writing,and like the authors,i,m also getting on a bit,and like to travel too. So i thought we had something in common-big mistake! They come across to me as a couple of rich old women who are fortunate to have the time and the money to be able to travel anywhere in the world,happy in their pseudo intellectual bubble(opera,s and art festivals) and visiting their also wealthy friends-i found their lustful references to young men particularly nauseating.If you are a fan of serious travel writing do not waste your hard earned cash on this book,i did,and i regret it.
on 26 August 2013
I heard about this book because one of the authors was on the BBC breakfast show. The story is about two elderly ladies who travel together even though they have totally opposite characters. What I missed is better description of the characters so I could come to understand them and why they would travel well together. As a travel book it's not useful either because there's not really enough information.

All in all a bit disappointing
on 9 October 2013
don't waste your time or money on this. Two ladies set off on a series of holidays where they cram in as much as possible (is it really necessary to do 8 safaris while in South Africa?), and the narrative soon descends into "then we did this, then we went there, etc". It all gets a bit tedious, in fact the only intriguing part of the book is why anyone would go on more than one holiday with Liz - she is a nightmare!!
on 4 August 2013
What a lovely time these two fabulous ladies have had I hope they have many more years to travelling ahead of them and I look forward to reading these future adventures.
I have some great ideas for when I have my "gap" year, and I know the person I will be growing old outrageously with! Thank you also for some lovely recipes.