5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it
Great for hot food lovers. This book gives the recipes for some of the hottest dishes I have ever eaten. Being a chilli lover this appeals to my taste and I can make them as hot as I like. I have made many of the dishes the book recommends and i have to admit I love the recipes. A must for people who love chilli
Published 5 months ago by Dont_50

3.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planet Spicy food recipe book
This is a recipe book about spicy food dishes but, in Lonely Planet style, it has lots of information about where the dishes come from. It's a nice bright, clear with glossy photos although they're not exactly on the large side. So far I've only tried the Jambalaya recipe and prefer the way I normally cook the dish.
Not really that impressed overall.
Published 7 months ago by Kevin Roche

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 2 July 2014
This review is from: The World's Best Spicy Food: Where to Find it & How to Make it (Lonely Planet Food & Drink) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Lonely Planet cookbook I have seen!, 22 May 2014
B Keeler "benedict" (South Coast) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Such variety - combining exciting food with exciting travels is a no-brainer but it could all get a bit much but trust Lonely Planet to create yet another worthwhile guide. Straightforward with efficient use of photography and a vast guide to popular as well as niche dishes from all over the globe - one thing in common is that they tingle the tongue. Excited to try out some of these recipes...at least the ones I can find the ingredients for!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy, yummy, spicy, spicy, 22 May 2014
Amazon Customer "MjD" (Edinburgh, Scotland. { Kobe, Japan. Saipan. Alabama.}) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The World's Best Spicy Food (Lonely Planet Food & Drink) – this tasty book is a great guide to spicy cuisine from around the world. I enjoy a bit of spice from time to time and while this book contains many favorites (Katsu Curry, Enchiladas, Rendang, Jambalaya, etc) it has also dragged me out of my gastronomic ignorance with the introduction of many previously unheard (at least by me) of recipes (Machbous, Larb, Gan Guo, Samal Harrah, etc). This book is bursting full of fiery recipes and also has a useful section on condiments (Wasabi, Piccalilli, Pepper Jelly, etc). Yummy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone, 15 May 2014
C. Brown (Brizol) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I do eat a lot of spicy food, but it rarely changes from chilli-con-carne and curries.

A lot of the recipes in this book can be attempted by someone with little experience which should give most people the confidence to try something a little different (but perhaps not the pigs trotters!).

As you'd expect with it being a Lonely Planet book, the recipes are from all over the globe, and not just restricted to India, Thailand and Mexico as many other books tend to limit themselves in this way. This gives a far more interesting selection of foods to try, and whilst some of the ingredients may be a little tricky to source there is certainly enough in the book for a number of simple delicious dishes.

The recipes are simply laid out, many of which are prepared in 1 pot which certainly saves on the washing-up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book..., 15 May 2014
Mike J (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Spicy food is what I really enjoy, but I’m not a good chef. Most of the recipes seem to be quite simple and in many cases ‘one pot cooking’ or stew type dishes. Ingredient lists in most cases are fairly simple, without too many specialist items or expensive items.

As you might imagine with a spicy food specific cook book, almost all recipes contain chilli, and in many cases specific types of chilli, like Scotch Bonnet, Ancho, Poblano, etc. So if you don’t have access to these types of chilli, you may not get the best from the book.

There are a nice selection of recipes and I could see myself actually cooking a few, rather than just looking at the pictures and getting more and more hungry, as I normally do.

Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful, informative and some great recipes, 14 May 2014
Arkgirl (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A culinary spice-filled world tour from lime pickle through Sichuan crescent dumplings to pica pau, the latter not fried woodpecker that it translates to but a peppery pork dish! Granted not all the recipes need a genius chef - nachos (tortillas, cheddar cheese and jalapeños) not a big test of skill - but even that section had some interesting background on their history.
I liked the fact that this book has some great new ideas for my spice-loving husband and family to hopefully enjoy and that most of the ingredients are actually available locally; despite the exotic names the local supermarket was able to provide for the first few recipes I have tried and the majority I have down to try.
The book is colourful and well laid out. Recipes are clearly set out and my knowledge has definitely increased on many of my favourite foods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 14 May 2014
Mr. K. Cross "keithcelt2" (Wales) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love my spices, & in my opinion, you can't have too many cook books about cooking with spices! This one is excellent. Well, any cook book that has a recipe for pigs trotters included is a must-have for me! In The World's Best Spicy Food, that recipe is Pig Trotter Curry. It's given me a different way of preparing this delicious & cheap ingredient, & gave me a reason to dig out the pressure cooker buried at the back of a cupboard! This wonderful book also contains a recipe for one of my favourite dishes, oft eaten at West Indian eateries when I lived in London: Curry Goat. This recipe is simple & produces mouth-watering results. Each dish has a page about the meal or an ingredient in the meal, telling you 'What it is', about 'Tasting' & 'Origin', & 'Finding it'. Most helpful & informative. Many of these recipes have very few steps & not long lists of ingredients, so are quite easy to prepare. Perfect! And thus far, I have not encountered an ingredient I cannot source locally. It's a fabulous book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting more than exciting, 7 May 2014
R de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anyone who likes spicy food will find lots to interest them in this guide book of spicy foods, where they come from and how to make them, which is crammed with foods, their descriptions and origins as well as recipes. It contains recipes that are familiar and some that are less so, or even quite obscure - ever heard of foods from Bhutan? This makes for interesting reading, with many recipes that look both appealing and appetising. It is not a book with the best food photography - some recipes are illustrated well, others are part of a scene including both people and food and, in some, food is not shown at all. However, each recipe is described with tasting notes and locations where you can source some of the foods to try, rather than make them yourself: it is definitely a foodie book as much as a recipe book. Not every dish or recipe appealed to me, but quite a few did and the section at the back on condiments, is useful. Each dish has icons telling you how difficult it is to cook and how hot it is as well as what implements are used to eat it. For dedicated foodies who like their foods hot and spicy and enjoy the challenge of sourcing new food ideas as well and cook them, this book will prove informative and useful, but it does not excite, which may be down to the format more than the contents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tasty recipes!, 6 May 2014
Mr. M. P. Duffy (Littlehampton, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One of the great bonuses of this book is that it also comes with a free PDF version that you can easily download from their website. I have only tried a few of the recipes as I am vegetarian, but overall I have found the recipes I have made very tasty and the heat level is quite tolerable. Although many of them are of course meat dishes, most of them look like they could be quite easily adapted. The book is very vibrant, featuring recipes from all over the world, each covered on a two-page spread with plenty of photos and a little about the recipe and where it comes from. An excellent cook book for those that like something a little different!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book in the Lonely Planet series, 27 April 2014
C. Moorby - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After reading other books in this series, namely "The World's Best Street Food", I was keen to get my hands on this latest offering from Lonely Planet, and I wasn't disappointed.

Covering a whole host of spicy dishes from the familiar to the exotic, the book writes about the various delicacies in detail, covering the ingredients and spice level, right the way through to the best places to buy the food!

All dishes are laid out in an appealing design to make you want to delve further into the book, with information accompanied by mouth-watering photographs.

All in all, a great reference book for foodies wanting to travel the world!