4.0 out of 5 stars Useful & compact
This pocket sized book contains some very useful phrases and covers a broad range of topics. Some of the 'culture tips' are a little off the mark though, such as the advice regarding avoiding eye-contact when speaking to somebody, I have found this is definitely not the case!

Published on 8 Nov 2012 by James Butler

3.0 out of 5 stars The few phrases I actually used I could have got ...
The few phrases I actually used I could have got from the internet.
Trying to use this for communication failed on every occassion
Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful & compact, 8 Nov 2012
James Butler (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Mandarin Phrasebook & Dictionary (Lonely Planet Phrasebook: Mandarin) (Paperback)

There's not much information on how to pronounce the pinyin phrases - which bear little resemblance to English pronunciation, but it is a great addition to learning materials for anybody learning Mandarin.

Overall, a great price for a useful little book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mandarin Phasebook, 8 Feb 2014
Handy size and easy to understand. Using it to learn Mandarin with a tutor, good clear phases. Pocket size to fit in my handbag

3.0 out of 5 stars The few phrases I actually used I could have got ..., 11 July 2014
The few phrases I actually used I could have got from the internet.
Trying to use this for communication failed on every occassion

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers what I needed, 26 Jun 2014
Received Lonely Planet Mandarin phrasebook quickly and in perfect condition. Wanted it as planning China visit - have been looking through and checking words and phrases we're likely to need and it seems to cover just about everything we'll need which is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book, 14 Jun 2014
Being a linguistic enthusiast I speak a considerable number of languages. One of them which I happened to have studied in a formal setting was Mandarin Chinese. Since that happened some years ago, and I recently needed to brush up my skills, this book has been invaluable in not only reminding me a great of vocabulary, but also in helping me learn some new and very useful set of phrases and words. While I do not know how easy it is to use for someone who has no prior knowledge of the language, this little and very cheap covers a wide variety of topics, which can help you in most of the situations you will find yourself in while visiting China or Taiwan. Anyhow, I highly recommend this book for anyone looking for an introduction into Mandarin Chinese or someone who needs to refresh their skills in the language for an upcoming trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and practical, 6 April 2014
Nice guide and good for the price, a must have if you go to China.
Even though we have smart phones with apps and smart ways of translating words, this cheap guide is a nice thing to have.

I had to ask a taxi driver to pick me up at a given time and it worked.

Nice a informative notions on the language/culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will use next time I visit China, 27 Dec 2013
Seems very clear but I need some help with pronunciation. That will come when my Chinese friend comes to visit me.

4.0 out of 5 stars has helped me in China!, 24 Aug 2013
not too big, but has helped me in China, especially ordering food. the pocket size format means that I can tuck it in my handbag, just in case I need it when I am out and about. good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars yes, it's good!, 13 Aug 2013
As a fan of foreign music and communicating, I naturally wanted a guide like this and it's so useful! It came in perfect condition and it's so handy, I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tianjin here we come, 19 April 2013
A most useful phrasebook, currently in use by a British citizen in China. Has proved very good when shopping in local shops

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›