Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 January 2014
Mixed opinions from an humble Gujarati chef in the UK.
I tend to put Mr Todiwala on a pedestal, so in some ways he can do no wrong.
It works well as a biography/coffee table book as I am fascinated by his knowledge and life and have enjoyed another of his cookbooks.
I am surprised by the recipes though, I was brought up in the UK and am only familiar with the food from my mothers small village by the Arabian Sea in Gujarat so I was looking forward to authentic Bombay Street Food recipes, I would have like to have seen recipes for Bhel Puri and Pav Bhaji etc and would have loved to have seen recipes of food I was never allowed to eat in India! in case they made us ill.

Some recipes I am familiar with or have a different twist to what I am used to, so that's really interesting and others seem too simple to be true...e.g. Chicken Tikka, having said that, I haven't cooked it yet. love the recipe for Dhansak, makes me very homesick for my mothers version which is a similar recipe. Love the explanation about Onion Bhajis.
On balance I would really recommend this book, the recipes are more authentic than the food you would eat in a Traditional Indian Restaurant and it's like going on a tour of Bombay with Mr Todiwala. Looking forward to cooking everthing unfamiliar to me : )
on 3 January 2015
Got it as a Christmas present. Very good book. Excellent layout, honest narration and beautiful pictures of vibrant Bombay. The only criticism is you may need a magnifying glass to read the recipes! Way too small print. If you do not mind reading a small print, then go for it.
on 18 June 2015
Excellent author, but what would have been a really fine book was completely ruined by the design and layout and incredibly microscopic size of the printing. There are far too many white spaces on the pages and readers will need a magnifying glass to read the words. It would have been far better to have filled up the white spaces with larger print size. What on earth was the publisher thinking? Absolutely awful.
on 25 February 2015
A wonderful walk down memory lane! Fantastic range of foods from so many and diverse communities of Bombay! Loved it and have tried quite a few dishes as could not wait to try them. ManyThanks, Cyrus!
on 6 November 2013
As a Bombayite I was so looking forward to the book. Beautiful pictures and Bombay stories really capture the essence of Bombay.

Wonderful recipes for typical Bombay food. However, the publishers and designers for this book tried to be too trendy with the style and font size of the text making the recipes impossible to read without a magnifying glass!! Even the names of the recipes with it's peculiar choice of font type and grey print, made the titles guesswork.

Such a pity as pictures and stories by Cyrus made for a nostalgic trip.

I don't have a Kindle but an Android tablet so, will never be able to read the recipes.

Sorry Cyrus please get more involved with the designers and publishers of your books to do justice to your recipes.

Antonia
on 11 November 2013
What a treat this book is and how wonderful of Cyrus Todiwala to share his family's recipes with the rest of the world. The recipes are easy to follow and I love the tips and hints and sometimes a little story about the origin of the recipe. So far, his recipe for curried minced meat with scrambled egg is my absolute favourite - I could (as Greg Wallace would say) bury my head in it! And ever so easy to cook. I grated the ginger and garlic for the paste - saved washing up the blender just for a small quantity. If you don't like the heat, this works just as well with 1 or 2 chillies and the seeds out. I look forward to trying all the other recipes.
on 29 December 2013
A fabulous looking book and very tasty recipes. I am a collector of cook books and read them like novels. This is one of my favourites. Beautiful. Not for the beginner, or for anyone with a scant spice and herb collection, but if you like food and travel and enjoy experimenting, this is one of the best.
on 26 January 2016
Just picked this up from the postal depot. Had a quick flick through. Looks an interesting read, some good looking recipes and nice photography. However, the title fonts (although nice and elegant) are too decorative/not dark enough which makes them diffiult to read. The main text font (including ingredients, method etc) is far too small. This is a shame, as it lets the book down. Without purchasing a magnifying glass, I don't think I will be able to read it for any length of time without straining my eyes.
on 30 January 2014
There's a great selection of scrumptious delights contained within this cook book. I have many good Indian cook books and I thought I knew most recipes and aspects to Indian cookery. This book is different. Buy it.
on 13 August 2014
Gives you a real feel of Indian cooking, and how the recipes came about.