Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a nicely produced little book that would make a lovely gift for any girl or lady who's thinking about taking up cycling or purchasing a bike. It covers all the obvious and not so obvious bike-related topics, like what sort of bicycle to buy, what sort of saddle to use, what to wear, how to maintain your bike, and what accessories to pop in your handbag to make sure you can freshen up once you've arrived at your destination.

The truth is that most of the information in here is either common sense or can be found on the internet without any problem at all. However sometimes it's nice to have everything set out in a cute little book with nice illustrations and a cool vintage vibe. The writing style of the book isn't particularly amusing but it's readable enough, and the whole thing is attractively put together. Not an essential purchase by any means, but it's a useful present for yourself or a friend.
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very well presented book both in writing and illustrations. It has a retro type of style.

It is for a beginner wanting to take up cycling or for someone who wants to get back into it.

Some of the information is common sense and maybe you could find it elsewhere if you searched for it but it is good to have it all together.

There is advice on: lifestyle, safety, parking & prevention of theft, and maintenance as well as some questions & answers.

Because it looks so good and the advice is sound then I think this would make a lovely gift for someone wanting to get "get back in the saddle after a short(or very long)hiatus".
VINE VOICEon 8 April 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The arrival of a review copy of "Heels on Wheels" roughly post-dated the donation of a bicycle from a kind and impossibly athletic work colleague. This neat little machine had been her son's and was, I thought, sufficiently small to be manageable by a minute adult with indifferent skills and a long time absent from the saddle.

My first visit to the road was a disaster. My tight skirt rode up and I kept on wheeling it along the pavement so that I could avoid the horrid noisy traffic and negotiate the lights. I noted that this was not how other people were cycling and felt discouraged.

Anyway, a few days later I opened this book. Firstly, it had a rather neat description on types of bikes - I thought that they all had, er, gears but it appears not. It also instructed me on correct cycling wear and this did not include a tight skirt, although I had worked that out for myself. I also now know why the bike had a nasty little saddle that poked one horribly in the "impolite" parts - I did not know that there were male and female types.

Physically, this is a neat little volume and has flaps so that you can mark your page easily. It is also prettily illustrated, although I did note that the fetching lady on the front cover is not wearing a cycle helmet. There is also the cutest little doggie in a basket - shades of "Legally Blonde", me thinks.

The text itself is peppered with interesting quotes and this gave it a bedside feel rather than that of an instruction manual. It goes through cycle acquisition and ownership in a logical manner starting with acquiring a bike through to frequently asked questions. It is actually quite sensible but some areas are covered a little too briefly. In particular I think there should be more on cycling safely, although I did note that there is a reference to cycling proficiency training, which I think is a must. Inexperience can lead to accidents. I also took issue with the section on listening to music and answering phone calls on board a bike where I thought the writer should have been much firmer. It is my personal view that distractions are dangerous and making and taking phone calls in this situation should be strictly forbidden in much the same way as they are in cars.

The final chapter is devoted to cycle maintenance. This was brief and to the point. It was generally useful although not comprehensive.

In summary, I think this is a useful book. I prefer my introductory manuals to be a little more meaty but this would be a nice little gift for would-be lady cyclists. For my part, I am off to talk to a man about some cycle adjustments and practical instruction: shoot me down in flames for deserting the sorority, if you wish, but I am little and my wrists and will are not strong. Perhaps I shall show him this book as encouragement.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Every female cyclist should have a copy of this book. (Let it be whispered - male cyclists too). I read this very quickly cover to cover - this little book is packed with such information as riding safety; locking the bike up securely - not to something it, and it's locked chain, can be lifted over for instance and ending with bike maintenance. The resources pages, giving useful websites are brilliant. I didn't know there were so many cycling organisations. This little book has already saved me several hundred pounds. I was thinking of selling my electric bike - now I think I'll give it another go!