5.0 out of 5 stars Great Selection, Excellently Presented, 18 Nov. 2012
Syriat - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Under the Walnut Tree: Good Ideas from Our Kitchen (Hardcover)
This was a present. Having not heard of it before I didn't know what to expect. However, this really is an excellent book full of inspiring recipes that are healthy and tasty.
The book is split up and contains 17 chapters dedicated to ingredients (examples include Avocado, Raspberries, Ginger and citrus) and recipes with them as the main ingredient. The recipes come from all over including Sweden, France, Morocco or Italy. The emphasis is on fresh ingredients and good food. Examples include various soups and salads, tagines, one pot recipes and some deserts. The recipes are very well detailed and easy to follow. The pictures look gorgeous and just make you want to try them and each one I have tried so far has worked and is very tasty. The final chapter is called on the menu and makes some suggestions of which recipes would go together for certain situations.

As a recipes book this is possible my favourite one for a long while, I get quite a few. What I really like is the focus on fresh ingredients and healthy food. If that is the kind of book you are looking for then you should definitely get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, varied and informative, 13 Sept. 2012
I came across this book just browsing on amazon. I was puzzled by the names of the writers, but a Finnish friend told me they were the most popular mother-daughter food writers of Scandinavia.

The recipes are international but many are Swedish, French or Chilean inspired. The pictures are beautiful but it's not a one photo per recipe book, in fact, many are scattered throughout the book with a reference to the recipe page and vice versa. There's a rustic / minimalistic vibe to them and it's all very calming.

There are 17 chapters headed by ingredients : avocado, chocolate, tea, cardamom, tomato... the recipes sound simple and tasty. Many I already have in other books but a lot of new ones or with new twists.
Here are a few recipe titles :

Savoury tomato bread
Pea, farro and avocado salad with mint
Almond and olive biscotti (savoury)
Minced fish on lemongrass
Chèvre and thyme dip
Swedish Lindström patties
Spaghetti from Verona (mushrooms, porcini, nuts)
Mushroom quiches

Festive almond slices
Tosca pie with walnuts
Mango cheesecake
Swedish ginger pears
French pear and almond cake
Shrikand
Our best vega buns (w. cardamom)

I think if you could easily live with just one cookbook it could be this one as it's so full of different recipes (perhaps a bit like Feast by Nigella). But of course I would never give up my other ones!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book!, 15 May 2013
I bought this cookbook after reading the recommendations for it. As someone who enjoys reading cookbooks "Under the Walnut Tree" does not disappoint, I really love this cookbook. The book is well written by mother and daughter Anna and Fanny Bergenstrom and beautifully presented, the photography makes you want to try everything.

The recipes are an eclectic mix and I particularly like the way the recipes are laid out, with 16 chapters based on main ingredients rather than starter, main, etc. Chapters include avocado, tomatoes, leafy greens, herbs, chillies, horseradish, ginger, citrus, nuts and seeds, coconut, cardamom, pears, mango, raspberries, vanilla, tea and chocolate. However to be clear, this is not a vegetarian cookbook as the chapter headers may suggest.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure of yumminess, 25 Dec. 2012
Neatly organised by ingredient, this book has a clean and somehow understated design, and an incredible amount of simply written and beautifully photographed recipes I can't wait to try. The ones I already did turned out perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy days are back to my kitchen, 24 July 2012
After more than 20 years of cooking to my family on a daily basis I had completely lost any remaining interest in experimenting in the kitchen, and had also stopped buying cooking books. However, this book insisted on following me home from a bookstore, claiming it had recipes not only for all my favorite dishes but also for many more that would become my favorites... I've spent the past couple of weeks both experimenting with the great recipes of Anna and Fanny and their friends, and getting inspiration to modify them and to invent my own. Something I thought was irretrievably lost is back: I enjoy cooking more than ever. This has also been a real feast for my family and friends. Now I've ordered some copies to give away to others whom I know will fall in love with this book and, I believe, spread the love to their families and friends. Besides the great recipes, the structure of the book (by main ingredients) and the beautiful photos make this book a real treat and a perfect gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read, 7 July 2013
I am so pleased I bought this book, I get a bit in a rut with meals and menus, this is a lovely written book ad a lot of recipes I will use. I have bought books in the past and used one recipe from them and never looked at it again. This is well worth the buy. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Family Food, 19 Jun. 2013
This book is arranged into chapters named after the authors' favourite ingredients, e.g. 'citrus', 'chillis'. Although this may seem a bit jumbled, there are two index sections at the back, one showing all recipes by section, then another by ingredient. I personally like this approach, I can think 'i really fancy something lemony for dinner' and check the citrus section, or I can look in my fridge then the ingredients index.
That aside, the book is full of really delicious family-style meals. I have so far made the roasted chicken with chorizo and the lemon chicken since receiving my copy, and have a few more earmarked that look amazing, like the spinach baked salmon and a few yummy looking salads. There's also recipes for spice mixes and a gorgeous chilli oil/paste that is just amazing (it's an ingredient in the chorizo chicken). Some of the recipes are more informal, e.g. the lemon chicken one doesn't have specific quantities (except for the stock mix), but from all the other recipes in there, it's fairly easy to determine how much you need, and if in doubt cook for four (or two plus yummy leftovers!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 2 July 2013
One of my favourite books of many cook books. Beautiful pictures. Straightfoward recipes. Dips into a different world. I love the Nut recipes particularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Feb. 2013
Valerie A. Gibson (Bath) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful cookery book - have tried many of the recipes and am very pleased with all of the outcomes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Christmas Present ., 14 Mar. 2013
Bought this for a niece at Christmas . She says that she found the recipes easy and the results were very good

Under the Walnut Tree: Good Ideas from Our Kitchen
Under the Walnut Tree: Good Ideas from Our Kitchen by Fanny Bergenstrom (Hardcover - 1 May 2012)