Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 April 2012
I think I was just a little underwhelmed with this cook book. Most of the recipes are ones I would cobble together anyway from ingredients in my store cupboard. They didn't seem to me to be super-healthy or super-natural, apart from the fact that they are vegetarian. One of the recipes uses shop-bought ravioli which I thought rather odd.

My main gripe is that there really weren't very many recipes in this book. There are lots of nice photos of scenery and quite a few of the finished dishes (though it's not clear which is which as they aren't labelled) but when it comes down to finding a recipe for a meal, I found that there just weren't that many to choose from. There were quite a few salads, snacks and soups, but not much else. To be honest, a number of the recipes felt like they were padding the book out - there was a recipe for one poached egg, another for more than one poached egg (!) and a recipe for lemonade shandy and another for iced tea (tea leaves, water, ice)...

I like the book's ethos and a few of the recipes have been delicious to eat (and inexpensive to cook) but I really don't feel that the total content justifies the purchase price of this book.
on 14 May 2011
I'm an avid follower of Heidi's website, where she most often posts recipes from other cookbooks, and the great thing is - all the recipes she makes and posts are ones that if I had all the cookbooks in the world, would choose to make - so it's a great one stop shop for wonderful veggie recipes. Unlike the blog, this cookbook is made up of her own recipes (or ones she's gotten from friend's) and is a great go-to book for weeknight meals and weekend treats. The first week I got it I made about 5 recipes out of it and still have more flagged. Especially love the Kale Salad and the Summer Squash Soup and the Carnival cookies. I did wonder if it would be worth buying the book since I can see most of her recipes on her website, but I'm glad I did - it's beautiful volume and has some extras that aren't on the site, and sometimes it's just nice cooking from a book instead of the screen, being able to flip through the colourful pages.
Enjoy!
on 25 July 2011
This cookbook is even better than her first one! Simple, easy to make recipes and a lot of personal notes, which I just love. She makes living healthier personal, and very very easy. Again in this book, as in the first, some basic information about products and what to make your standard cupboard items. I love it! No hard to get products, everything is easy and super delicious (because, let's face it, eating healthier is ok, but it needs to taste good!)...
on 4 July 2011
This is the kind of cookbook I like best: lovely photography, good heavy pages, and wholesome-but-never-boring, delicious food. It's jam-packed full of recipes that you could, indeed, cook, eat and enjoy every day. Heidi's recipes center on letting tasty, healthy ingredients shine through and thus the recipes are simple enough to tackle after a long day. Even if you already cook in this way and are no stranger to quinoa, bulgar wheat, miso or tempeh, she provides fresh combinations to shake things up. If these ingredients are new to you, her recipes provide a gentle, yummy introduction to them.

Heidi also subscribes to the 'cook this, but also try this, this, and this' school of cookbook writing, which I always appreciate. For example, the recipe for pita chips (crisps) starts with a straightforward seasoning, but in the recipe introduction she provides suggestions for different flavours, or even different ways of serving (make tiny ones and use as croutons). Her recipes strike me as being for real cooks who have to get a meal on the table without fail, sometimes with a bit of improvisation.

This is an American book, but most measurements are also given in metric. You will, however, need to have a set of measuring spoons or a reasonable eye for guesstimation as teaspoon/tablespoon measurements are not converted, and you may need to do a little Googling for terms (she will use the word 'pepitas' when she means 'pumpkin seeds', for example).

Finally, the food. From multigrain (American) pancakes, to wild rice casserole, to miso-curry delicata squash, to macaroon tart - there is not a recipe or a photograph in this book that doesn't make me drool. Several recipes from her previous book made it into my 'regulars' and this book is rapidly going the same way!
on 5 January 2014
Great vegetarian cookbook for those interested in healthy eating
Good introductory pieces from the author for each dish, giving advise to changes that can be made for each recipe
The recipes are wholesome with a good use of legumes, vegetables, soy products, grains etc
on 13 July 2015
I love Heidi Swanson. I would count her among my inspirations who cheer up vegetarian cooking. However after trying a few recipes in this book I decided to stick with Heidi's blog (101 cookbooks). The book seem to offer more subtle (in some cases dull) versions of recipes posted in the blog. For instance the black bean salad recipe on the blog contains more ingredients and is more delicious. So is the week night curry. If you are a Heidi fan and want to see what is on the book, then go for it. Otherwise you won't lose anything by sticking to 101 cookbooks
on 11 December 2015
I am not vegetarian but nonetheless these recipes have become some of my all-time favourite meals. The ones we have tried have all been full of well-balanced, strong flavours and often with interesting textures.

Our three favourites that we have ended up cooking regularly are: Harissa Ravioli, Miso-curry pumpkin and Black Pepper Tempeh. All 3 are delicious!
on 10 June 2013
As a cookery book for whole foods and organic, vegetarian cooking, this is inspirational. The instructions are clear and the pages really well laid out to make everything easy to follow.
on 2 January 2016
I have been following Heidi's blog for several years and I have all her books as well. The recipies are amazing, easy to put together and the results never disappoint you.
on 25 August 2015
Great looking, good veggie recipes and a nice tone makes this book really enjoyable. Takes me back to a fab holiday in San Francisco too, so good all around.