4.0 out of 5 stars Written by a lover of cycling
Great book. Opinionated; but that makes it so enjoyable. Amongst all the flipancy, there is also very good advice. I came late to cycling, and on the one hand this book made me appreciate it all the more, but also makes me regret all those years I missed out on.
Published on 8 Oct. 2010 by L. Van Zyl

3.0 out of 5 stars Freewheeling
I understand that the author-Bike SnobNYC- is a highly successful US anonymous bike blogger.In Bike Snob,the author takes aim at a selection of bike nuts,weirdos and fellow bike snobs with varying levels of success. Perhaps being British,a lot of the humour went over my head although some targets are universally recognized.
A bit lightweight really and something I...
Published on 30 Nov. 2010 by Jago Wells

3.0 out of 5 stars Freewheeling, 30 Nov. 2010
Jago Wells - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A bit lightweight really and something I will pass on fairly quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Written by a lover of cycling, 8 Oct. 2010
L. Van Zyl "Le Roy" (London) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A humourous and endearing read, 16 Mar. 2011
Peter Piper - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Bike Snob is one of those books that you find yourself annoying other people with. "Listen to this!" and "This will make you laugh!" was a phrase my wife got used to whilst I read this book.

In part a historical account of cycling. In part an analysis of the various kinds of cyclists, and yet in part an attempt to shift the reader's perspective of the bicycle. If this book were called "Zen, and the art of cycling", the title would fit. In fairness, there was one passage I found dull, which detailed a journey across an old cycling route in America, but I can see this appealing to someone more interested in the history of cycling than I am.

I'm a keen cyclist myself, so much of this book was relevant to me, but I can see it's appeal to anyone who has ever thrown a leg over a bike, or wished they could ride. However it's wit and humour broaden the appeal of the book to pretty-much anyone who has so much as seen a bicycle. It is also very nicely bound and has a good solid feel to it, which is incidental, but appreciated.

To surmise, I selected this book from the choice of books I was asked to review thinking it looked like it would be a fun and interesting read, and it surpassed all expectations. I heartily recommend it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult for long rides., 17 Mar. 2011
Chris Morse "faraway_pictures" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had high hopes for this book. It's very nicely made, hard backed book, gold print, colour pages and lots of diagrams etc.
It's written by a Blog writer, and I think they've tried to emulate the blog experience in the book.
The chapters take you through a history lesson, fashion, do's and dont's and basic tales of the road.
What I found hard, which I would say the same about blog's in general, is that you tend to only be able to read short bursts at once, these long epistles show up that this isn't great writing, I grew tired of it pretty quickly. I think if each page had been a subject/tale this would have worked a lot better.
Something else I thought was missing (coming from a daily cyclist) is the wonders you see whilst cycling, sure I understand a lot of what he says, and have seen a great deal in my 30yrs on a bike. I definatly don't feel the same 'philisophical' way he does about drivers trying to kill you though.

Pros: A book to pick up, read for a while and put back. Maybe I'll leave mine in a waiting room.
Cons: Difficult to hold your interest for more than a few pages at a time.

3.0 out of 5 stars A few smiles and pearls of wisdom amongst the waffle, 9 Dec. 2010
Cartimand (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love my cycling. I really, truly, deeply do. Some witty musings about my second (or possibly third) favourite pastime; what could be more agreeable?

So it was with very high hopes that I plunged into this book. And yet, within a few chapters, I had to admit to myself that I found it all rather heavy going in places. Bike Snob, being a famous (well apparently so - I must confess I hadn't heard of him, until the Vine Programme enlightened me) blogger, sure knows his stuff, but clearly also loves the sound of his own voice and is extremely verbose. Page after page of describing the early cycling pioneers failed to generate much in the way of atmosphere. Things bucked up a bit with his definition of what makes a cyclist and I began to warm to the material a bit more with the gently amusing and perceptive Subsets of Cyclists section. How not to get killed and his musings on maintenance and how to lock your bike continue in the same vein of quirky waffle and occasionally clumsy attempts at humour but then, out of the blue, he hits the nail on the head with a profound truism. I particularly like "Everything about riding a bicycle compels you towards beauty". Nice.

Don't expect any real belly laughs but, if you're on the side of the cyclist, Bike Snob's gentle quirky wit and occasional poetically eloquent musings will probably just about win you over.

Worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book about cycling, the good life, and puncturing pretension, 6 Nov. 2010
I love the blog, and the book hasn't disappointed. It is a good read, fun, and totally slaughters pretension and senseless fashion. Clearly its a book for cyclists, but its more than that too. Plus, it is beautiful - well laid out, nice graphic touches, illustrations and phots. Looks really good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Irreverant look at the world of cycling, 24 Feb. 2011
Stracs "Stracs" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The book is a lovely size and fits in the hand well - and whether it was a consideration of not, would happily fit snuggly in a cycling jersey back pocket.

The book covers everything from the history of cycling through to modern life and the challenges this brings as a cyclist.

One of the key factors for me, is that as a keen cyclist with a passion for the mode of transport and sport yet also a driver, the book doesn't demonise or run drivers into the ground (if you excuse the pun) but instead deals with the real issues you have to face as a cyclist in the 21st century.

I learnt some really interesting facts about the beginning of cycling and how passionate people were about it as a sport and a method of transport, and how this has reduced but is returning. I also love the humour. This has been a lunch break book for me and the way its laid out is great for dipping in and out of. It also provides a slice of homour, interest and intelligent writing which makes it a joy to read.

I'd certainly recommend this to any cycling fan out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Book, 9 Dec. 2010
Nick C (Middleton, Manchester) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you're going to read any book about cycling read this, it's hilarious yet touches on so many points intrinsic to cycling mythology and pretensions. If you're a biker then it'll have you nodding your head (whilst laughing) at the absurdity of fashion and what other people dictate to us with regards how, what and where we ride, nonsensities which filter through your mindset until you take these issues as written in stone - well this book knocks the stuffing out of our twisted preconceptions strips them away and reveals/reminds us what it is about cycling we should love.
To non-cyclists it's a glimpse into why bikers love to ride, and why you should learn to love us all and not try running us off roads (hey I pay road tax too you know! I just prefer not to use the car allllll the time!), nah seriously, there's some funny stuff for you guys too and maybe a few insights to pick up and note!
I always reckon the sign of a good book is when you don't want it to finish, I flew through this book and wished it was another 500 pages longer heh! A must for the two wheeled person in your life.

4.0 out of 5 stars We need more books like this!, 6 Dec. 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you're a passionate cyclist then you will absolutely love this book! Written by a man who clearly sees cycling as more than something you have to resort to when the car is at the garage having its service, this little gem of a book looks at just about every aspect of cycling - its history, the different types of cyclist you might encounter and even some useful advice thrown in for good measure. It's a collection of web blogs, so expect some rants here and there, but to be honest (and I don't mean this to cause offence) considering it's written by an American, I found it very humorous - and I'm a stuffy old Englishman! Perhaps that's the power of the bicycle - bringing together two nations for a common good! It's probably not the sort of book you'd read from cover to cover in one sitting, more likely you'll dip into it every once in a while (toilet reading as I like to call it!) This little hardback is available at a great price at the moment, and deserves to be on every cyclist's bookshelf - even those who wear Lycra ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars Me thinks he discriminates too much!, 20 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having read some pages from the Bike Snob web page, I hesitated before ordering this book. Certainly the web page contained links to some very interesting sites that I still treasure, but the opinions of the anonymous snob I generally found hard to swallow. Still, surely a book would be a `best off' and anything about cycling had to contain something useful...

Sadly my suspicions were correct! This really is a collection of glib comments and opinions - the kind of thing which somehow works on the throw-away world of the web, but comes across as shallow on page.

There is advice such as "Look Out for Doors" which begins: "There are few cyclists who have not had an unfortunate encounter..." and so? They need reminding?

At one point a basic premise is expounded - that cycling is good, and anyone who rides any kind of bike is good - both for the cyclist and the world at large. However this is hardly consistent with the author's compulsion to categorise cyclists and their bicycles.

In particular, he seems to delight in pointing out bicycling breaches of etiquette - such as having mismatched tyres - fully illustrated with a colour photo! At times revelling in the individuality of cyclists, at others castigating those who cross the invisible line of fashion which the author has himself drawn.

The author frequently makes tenuous links between cycling and sex or religion - I presume in an effort to make his writing more exciting or meaningful. Sadly, I've never found those links to exist in reality!

Fair enough if you are looking for some light distraction, but if you want to learn about cycling - there are better books. Or just look at the web page!

Bike Snob
Bike Snob by Eben Weiss (Hardcover - 1 Nov. 2010)