5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, 11 Jan 2013
I found out about this book via a quirky story on the BBC news website about the history of Vegemite. I was intrigued, and pleasantly surprised to find it available for Kindle download. I was even more pleasantly surprised to enjoy the book so much!

This is the true story of Cyril Callister, who (unsurprisingly) invented the iconic Vegemite yeast spread. The book covers much, much more than that though. It's a social and political history of Australia through the first half of the 20th century, via the Callister family's story.

From the post gold rush depression in Victoria, through both world wars, political upheaval and social unrest and finally the boom years of the 50s - we experience them all via a single Australian family. Also intriguing is the story of the history of food science and technology. It's not something I'd given any thought to before, but its incredible to realise that 80 or so years ago, there was little knowledge of vitamins and really no means of preserving food. Finally, it is, of course, the rags to riches tale of Vegemite itself - from a foul tasting substance that no one wanted to buy, to a still (to most non Aussies) foul tasting substance that is a global brand!

The book is written by Cyril Callister's grandson, pieced together through family papers and personal anecdotes. It's beautifully told, and really engaging - I found myself in tears over one story of world war 2, such was the emotional involvement I felt with the characters.

Highly recommended as both a personal account of modern Australian history, and as an engaging tale of a likeable Australian family.

Give the book a go - I think you'll like it. If you haven't tried Vegemite - give that a go too, but as to whether you'll like that... I make no promises :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 19 April 2014
A really good read , very well written, would tell anyone to read this !! I have it on my kindle which i. Would also recommend to buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read (if you're Australian), 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Man Who Invented Vegemite (Paperback)
I bought this as a present for my Australian partner and he absolutely loved it. Informative and well written book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for an Aussie!, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Man Who Invented Vegemite (Paperback)
Bought this for my (Australian) husband who is a die-hard Vegemite fan.

He thought it a really good read... it's more about the man himself rather than the product but nevertheless he enjoyed it.

The Man Who Invented Vegemite
The Man Who Invented Vegemite by Jamie Callister (Paperback - 11 April 2013)
10.50