Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Voyage Shop Now Shop now

Bread Revolution
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£17.34+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 26 March 2012
I highly recommend this book. It is packed full of great recipes, along with loads of helpful hints to help you improve your baking skills.

I made baguettes and cinnamon swirls from the book this weekend and both turned out brilliantly. I would like to think this was down to my skills, but think it has more to do with the great recipes and detailed instructions!

I have got a few baking books but this is my new favourite! It has a wide variety of recipes and goes beyond the standard that you find in most books.

The book is written in such a way that it is suitable for all levels. It would be great for someone keen to learn the basics, but also has tips which would help those who have a bit more experience.

I suggest you buy the book and join the revolution!
on 28 May 2012
This is one of the most beautifully-designed books I've come across in a long time. I've noticed quite a few criticisms about it only containing about 50% of bread recipes. This is probably the case, and if you want a thorough guide to baking bread then we've found the Dorling Kindersley book to be very good. However, Bread Revolution is presenting more than just a guide to baking bread; it's giving an image of a lifestyle. There are general food recipes so you'll have some fun ideas as to what to have with your scrummy new bread, and suggestions as to what to do with leftover bread once it starts to go stale. The sunny photos and fun little side-comments make me smile and make it a book I enjoy sitting down and reading, not just baking from (my husband does all the baking anyway!)
on 31 March 2012
I love cooking but kind of shy away from baking. I have so many cookbooks on my shelves but this book has been a bit of a game changer for me. It's got me excited about baking and after only having it for 1 day I made the Cinnamon Swirls and that was it really, my passion for baking was back! I'm pretty rubbish at baking and they were amazing. Can't recommend this book enough, not only does it have great recipes for sweet and savoury breads but for meals to accompany the breads too. Definitely my number 1 baking book and the first one that has ever made me instantly make a recipe on day 1.
on 31 May 2012
Had the book 2 days. Done the cinnamon rolls and cheese bread - absolutely gorgeous.
Bit surprised that the bagels did not have eggs in them but still came out fine.
The suggested method of shaping dough for a bread tin could have been aided by a diagram or three. This is the exact phase where a lot of beginners get it wrong and end up with mutant loaves which do not cut properly as the crust forms unevenly.
Doing the potato baguettes tonight.
Its a good read and now at a bargain price. Detailed recipes, interesting stories and there is something uplifting about the book. Idealists succeeding in a cynical world. Brilliant! I am off to open a bakery.

A small update. The potato baguettes were brilliant.
on 4 April 2012
I bake bread on a regular basis and have several books on the subject but this new offering from Duncan Glendinning and Patrick Ryan is one of the best.

Written as much for the first timer as the regular, and with nice introductory paragraphs explaining the breads and the boys own experiences with them, the book lays out the tools needed - nothing too complex or expensive and then leads to your first loaf. They get more technical as the book progresses and involve both sweet and savoury breads.

Helpful pages and diagrams explain the different dshapes of bread and how to achieve them, glazes, addtions - many foraged and finally how to use any leftovers - but given the quality of the breads there probably won't be any.

Though I have baked often the first loaf I made from the book was my best ever, it rose well, had a lovely hollow ring when cooked and a crisp crust with a soft crumb.

Whether you are about to bake for the first time or an old hand the sheer passion for real bread shines through the book and it will, as the title suggests, lead a Bread Revolution.
on 18 December 2014
I was disappointed and then really annoyed by this book: it is pretentious, condescending (even 7 year olds would find the injunction to "Make this book your own" patronising), and tries desperately to be trendy (Britpop chef wannabes). The bread recipes are few: everyday white bread, hearty wholemeal, fragrant nettle & chive, potato & rosemary and local cheese loaf which take up 54 pages. These are needlessly padded out with advice on foraging (with lots of lovely photos) as well as some useful advice on ingredients, equipment and a "what went wrong" section. There are a few more bread/bun recipes scattered in the remaining 2/3rds of the book, among recipes for salads, terrine, curry, welsh rarebit (oh please!) etc etc (with yes, you guessed it, loads more lovely photos and helpful arrows).

The River Cottage Handbook No. 3: Bread by Daniel Stevens is far better, it is crammed full of recipes with no-nonsense advice. Also Bartinet's "Crust", which comes with an excellent video, for those wanting something more advanced. Bread Revolution looks like a poor juvenile attempt by comparison.
on 1 March 2012
a much anticipated book by myself, and not as great as it could have been in my opinion. Don't get me wrong its a good bread book, but in a market of other really good bread books it doesn't stand out.
Also i was anticipating recipes for their great breads that they sell, but some are missing, notably the beetroot bread.

i would still recommend the purchase of this book, just personally thought it could have been great not just good
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 October 2014
If you think like me, that this is a book about bread and bread alone you are sadly mistaken. There are only about 12 bread recipi's in the whole book. The remainder is things you can do with bread or what you eat with bread. Sadly a lot of staple things like summer pudding and bread and butter pudding. I'm not saying the recepi's are bad, not at all but not a book about bread alone like I expected. So disappointed.
on 9 February 2013
I've been hand making bread for years but got into a rut, always producing the same loaf. This book opened my eyes to other breads and flours I hadn't had the courage to try before. These guys have improved my technique immensely. This has all resulted in much better flavour than I've ever had before. And for the first time in my life I got soda bread to work. It's a good job the pages are glossy, as most of them now have floury and doughy fingerprints on them from constant use and experimentation.

Instructions are clear easy to follow, and the photos show us how the finished loaf is supposed to look. Well worth the price.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
A call to arms: come on and join our baking revolution is the claim and gauntlet being thrown down to the food establishment by a duo of "eco-artisan bakers".
Here in their Bread Revolution book is an interesting challenge to everybody, inciting you to rethink your views about baking and relationship to the humble loaf. Through an arty, passion-filled prose the dynamic duo seek to show that the average family could eschew the large commercial "factory bakers" and make their own bread at home.
Many people have the view that you either must have a complicated, expensive bread-making machine or must endure much manual hardship with variable results and hand-make bread. Much easier to buy so-called "artisan" bread from a large supermarket that has often been baked in bulk by a commercial partner and "finished off" in store to make it look wonderful and smell delicious. No... Instead the advice given in this colourful, information-packed book will have you believe that you can make whatever bread you want with ease (and maybe even a smile on your face). You just need to have the confidence in yourself. Oh, and a few basic ingredients: a good bread flour, yeast, water and salt. Everything else is just a variation or a build on this using things like eggs, butter & milk, sugar, nuts and herbs.
First of all the reader is given a good primer on the different doughs necessary to produce things like an everyday loaf. If it doesn't turn out as expected a number of trouble-shooting and feelings-rescuing hints are given. After you have your basic loaf you can add a garnish or a glaze to customise it, thereafter in principle you have an infinite range of possibilities that only available ingredients and your imagination can limit it too.
Throughout the book you continue to learn. Tucked in between a recipe might be a lesson about bread shapes. Elsewhere you may find a recipe for using the bread such as a Classic Welsh Rarebit. This is clearly a book that, whilst you can browse in and out, you might get the most from a sequential read at first. Little hints and tips can be found in the most unexpected of places. To be fair, whilst some of the recipes might be good in their own right, it must be questioned whether they really should appear in a book like this at the risk of diluting the overall important message. This reviewer has mixed feelings about this but if they MUST be in a book of this kind then at least it is better than they are mixed in with the other recipes and advice instead of being relegated to a ghetto position towards the back of the book.
On the whole this does not read like a regular cookery or recipe book. It just sort of flows, informally, with it haphazardly (read: carefully positioned) throwing out information, recipes and advice along the way. If you want a traditional "how to" recipe book this is not necessarily the best for you. Yet if you want a good "how to" book that inspires, educates and maybe even transforms your thoughts this could be one to place in your shopping basket.