• Zumbo

Format: HardcoverChange

VINE VOICEon 13 November 2011
This is a beautiful coffee table book, containing incredible photography and flavour combinations that are truly inspirational. However, I don't feel it's very useful for the average home baker (other than those wanting a career as a pastry chef). The recipes for the highly-innovative macarons aren't too bad, but get past that chapter and you'll find that very many of the cakes, gateaux and desserts contain between 5 and 8 different components, all of which require their own individual recipes. These are not concoctions you can knock up in an hour or two on a Sunday afternoon!

Furthermore, the recipes frequently call for ingredients that are completely unavailable to regular home cooks and the quantities required go beyond the capabilities of normal digital scales (eg 1.8g of an ingredient). The ingredients may be available online or in speciality shops, but sourcing them could make the recipes that use them somewhat expensive. I've got umpteen baking books and am experienced baker, but I have never heard of or ever seen for sale calcic, algin, gellan, iota, pandan extract or yuzu juice (not to mention titanium dioxide - apparently only available from wholesalers, ie large quantities). Fortunately there is a glossary at the back of the book.

Certainly there are some recipes that don't contain these unusual ingredients, and others whose component recipes could be cooked relatively easily, but for me this book's recipes involve way too much time and expense for them to be practical. I've given 3 stars for the beauty of the book and its inspirational qualities.
33 comments28 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2012
Brilliant book, great recipes, that actually work! Rice pudding macaroons are my favourite! Really gets the imagination juices flowing. A must for professional chefs.
on 15 February 2014
I love this book, a lot of the reviews said the recipes aren't doable, and some of them aren't, I attempted(and completed) the 'cake' with the least layers(8 I think) and it took me a whole weekend and about £80, it tasted phenomenal, and i felt great about the achievement but I don't think I'll do another one for a few years.

But there are other recipes in here that you can do in an hour or so, the vanilla salted caramels for example, the only special equipment/ingredients you need for that is a sugar thermometer. The macaroons are really well instructed. Everything that I've cooked from this book has been given rave reviews from my family and friends. But the majority of the recipes are high maintenance and need A LOT of unusual ingredients and equipment. I completely love the book though and would recommend it.
on 8 February 2013
I love Zumbo - after seeing him on the Australian masterchef I had to find out just how hard those recipes are! And they are! His instructions are excellent and they will get you through but be prepared to spend a lot of time getting all your ingredients ready. The man is a genius and this book takes you that little bit closer to what it would be like to have him cook for you. There are recipes in there that I would never have dreamed of and the results are so worth while, his profiteroles are to die for! The pictures are beautiful too. Its the perfect book for any desert fanatic! But be prepared to while away many hours trying to reach Zumbos perfection!
on 31 March 2013
Immaculate condition, fantastic illustrations, enough to make you drool and head into the kitchen, Some wacky recipes, but then he is Australian, but a fabulous book ,not only for the coffee table but to use and enjoy.
on 27 August 2013
Bought for a friend who is very creative with sweets. He said this book really gave him new ideas and the layout & design were different than other books he has had.
on 19 January 2012
A beautifully presented book, as is to be expected from a man who produces such beautiful food but possibly a lttle geared towards a commercial kitchen than my little apartment job.
Some very inventive ideas and if I had time to learn all the required techniques it would keep me busy for years.
You won't be disappointed by this book but don't expect to be turning out masterpieces after one read.
on 11 February 2014
Great book. the recipes are really complex though and some of the ingredients are hard to find. Have tried several recipes and they have worked perfectly
on 11 June 2013
I loved to see Adriano in the Masterchef Australia. And when I shaw this book in here I had to buy it.
And what a great buy it was :)
on 2 January 2013
Love the book.
Got it for my sister for christmas
Its amazing to look through and arrived in mint condition