5.0 out of 5 stars Bill does it again, but this time for children.
Bill gives exciting, healthy and interesting recipes which all children will love to help to make, as well as eating the end product.
Published 12 months ago by Jeannie

Published on 16 May 2012 by elizalight

1.0 out of 5 stars No new recipes, just new editing. This is not a very good book., 16 May 2012
This review is from: Bill Cooks for Kids (Paperback)
Awww, I was really looking forward to this book arriving, but now it has, I am so disappointed. I love Bills' cooking and several of his old recipes are family favorites, so with one child already and another on the way I thought this book might provide further kitchen inspiration. However, Bill Cooks For Kids is simply a collection of old recipes (even the photos are the same), so if you have any of Bills' previous books then this one is a waste of money.

Besides, I don't believe some of the recipes suggested in this collection are particularly appealing to children. My six year old is an adventurous eater who enjoys a wide variety of home cooked meals, but I think even she might give pause if I presented her with a plate of Veal Cutlets with Tomatoes, Capers and Polenta. I mean, why is that the most appropriate suggestion to include in a book of food especially aimed at children? I don't need to be told how to make scrambled egg, and neither do I need to be advised that kids like eating Double Choc-Chip Cookies and Ice-Cream. What I wanted was a book full of new ideas for exciting and nutritious meals that children would really want to eat, and unfortunately I dont think this book is it.

Rather, I think this book is a cynical marketing ploy by Bill Grangers' publishers, and quite frankly they should be ashamed of themselves for exploiting his loyal fans.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing repetition, 20 May 2012
This review is from: Bill Cooks for Kids (Paperback)
I have been a Bill Granger fan for many years - his recipes are easy, they work and are mostly a huge success. I was very excited when I saw there was a book coming out for kids - finally I could keep the whole family happy with Bill! How disappointing to discover that more than 20 of these recipes are straight out of his other books (including photographs!) I feel cheated by the publishers who obviously saw room to use the "same old" to create a "new" book which isn't new at all. Disappointing. The information on Amazon should warn customers who've purchased other Bill Granger recipe books that this contains many out of previous publications.

1.0 out of 5 stars TOTAL CON, 27 May 2012
This review is from: Bill Cooks for Kids (Paperback)
Bill Granger is one of my favourite chefs and I love all his cookbooks and therefore have them. So when I saw that he was releasing a kids cookbook I was thrilled and immediately pre-ordered. Ha, ha. The recipes are all (or at least nearly all) taken from his other cookbooks. There is literally nothing new in there that I would be interested in cooking. A total waste of money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Recommended only if you're new to Bill's books, 11 May 2012
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bill Cooks for Kids (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Bill Granger's cooking. His recipes are easy to follow, have divinely fresh flavours and just work. Again and again he is my "go to" source when I want something that's not too complicated or time consuming to make, but will taste great. I own several of his recipe books and the majority have been well used. With two primary school aged boys in the house, I was sure that I'd find Bill Cooks for Kids to be another useful addition to the recipe book collection. However it doesn't quite deliver on what I was expecting.

Firstly, if you're after a good source of everyday family meals, this may not be the best choice. There are over 90 recipes all up (if you can count things like fairy bread, boiled eggs and pasta with butter and cheese stirred in as recipes), but of these only 17 are genuine family meals and another 15 are light dinners. The remaining recipes are breakfast dishes, baking, desserts, drinks and party food. There are some very nice dishes among those, but family meals they are not.

Secondly, I don't think there are any original recipes here, so if you already have a few of Bill's recipe books there's probably no need for you to buy this one. I counted over 35 recipes that appeared in Simply Bill and over 20 that appeared in Every Day. There were also several from Bills Open Kitchen and Sydney Food: Commemorative Edition. Not having all of his books, I can't guarantee that they are all repeats, but there were enough that made it a waste for me to have purchased this one.

I like the very comprehensive index and the fact that all dishes are photographed (and look mouth watering). Just flicking through it made me want to make several of the dishes immediately! And it does genuinely meet the brief of food that kids will happily eat.

If you are new to Bill, you like baking and you have kids in the 3-8 age group, I would absolutely recommend this book. But if you already have several of his books (especially Simply Bill and Every Day), it has little more to offer you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth buying if you have other Bill Granger books, 22 May 2012
This review is from: Bill Cooks for Kids (Paperback)
Nice recipes but have seen almost all of them before in other Bill Granger books. Am a huge fan but a bit annoyed to have bought this one as it doesn't really contain anything new. Anyway, the oat and chocolate chip cookies are in the oven at the moment and I'm sure they'll turn out well as his recipes usually do and are easy to follow.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bills kids, 10 Jun 2012
This review is from: Bill Cooks for Kids (Paperback)
Disappointed as I have all his other books and this was more or less bits from his older books. Still love all his recipes

2.0 out of 5 stars If you don't have Bill, this is 5* - If you have others of his, just 2*, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Bill Cooks for Kids (Paperback)
Love Bill and if you haven't discovered his books and recipes, this makes for a good, family-friendly intro.

Unfortunately it is pretty much a rehash of recipes from his other books. As I have most of them, couldn't help but feel it was a bit of a waste.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 27 Jun 2012
This review is from: Bill Cooks for Kids (Paperback)
I agree with many of the other reviews that this book was disappointing. I have a toddler and a baby and needed some inspiration for new recipes to cook for the kids, or for the family as a whole. Some of the dishes are not suitable for young children (in my opinion) ie veal cutlets whereas others are so basic that I felt shouldn't have been included - how to cook boiled or scrambled eggs. Also worth mentioning that there are alot of sweet/ desert / baking type dishes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if you already have Bill Granger Books, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Bill Cooks for Kids (Paperback)
Basically all the recipes are from other Bill's Books so little point in buying it if you have already got a selection of Bills books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull book, nothing new., 2 May 2014
S. Hussain "Sam Hussain" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bill Cooks for Kids (Paperback)
I got this as a present and have been very disappointed. Kids enjoy interesting food! Lots of re-hashed recipies from other of his books. Am making sure this is the last Bill Granger I get....

Bill Cooks for Kids
Bill Cooks for Kids by Bill Granger (Paperback - 10 May 2012)
Used & New from: £2.99