‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful. Can't recommend it enough, 1 Oct 2004
By A Customer
Why isn't this book more widely known about? I stumbled on it in a bookshop and it is by far one the best books on motherhood I have read and even one of the best self-help books I've read. The chapter on anger alone is worth the purchase price. Every new mother and mother of young children should have a copy. It has helped me on a daily basis, especially when I've felt frustrated or isolated and both my under-twos have been crying at once. By the way, it's not a silly New-Agey spiritual book, but very practical and very informative. I'm not at all religious and am not a Buddhist, but since reading it I have become very interested in Buddhism. So, on top of all that, it's probably a great introduction to Buddhism too. Also, the author deserves praise for her honesty about her own tribulations sometimes as a mother. Thank you Sarah Napthali.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every mother who wants the best for her children, 23 Sep 2004
J. Johansen - See all my reviews
This is the best book I have read on general parenting and I would highly recommend this book to every mother and/or father.
The author uses humour, intelligence and empathy in communicating the daily challenges of being a parent. The book also covers relationships in general and those with close family members and friends.
Good parenting is not something that comes easily all the time and the author acknowledges this and offers ways to approach daily life that help both parent and child. Although the book discusses Buddhists ideologies it should not put off someone of another faith as it is really about seeing and dealing with your children in a kind and respectful manner whilst also giving you the tools to manage life in a less stressful way.

5.0 out of 5 stars great advice, 15 Nov 2008
Mr. N. Evans (wales) - See all my reviews
this book is a must for every parent! Even if you have no interest in buddhism, its advice is straightforward and honest. There are so many baby and toddler books on the market and most of them change as new research comes to the fold. You cannot change this book because it is based on pure truth.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of half a dozen books I would not be without, 6 Nov 2008
This book is full of honesty, wisdom and modesty. It goes to the heart of the matter with warmth and helps you find the tools in yourself to be the best parent possible. A book to return to time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 8 Jun 2010
Having spent the first few years looking for a book that tells me how children work, I have now found a book that understands how I work and shows me how I can manage myself as a parent and as a person. The best book on life I have read. You will not regret buying this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for Mums, 7 Feb 2008
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I am not a Buddhist, although there is much about the religion that I think can help us in everyday life. I picked up this book more for the tips on parenting than to learn more about Buddhism. For this reason I only skimmed through the initial and final chapters which are more about Buddhism, and concentrated on the segments in the middle.

What I particularly like about this book is that is very upfront about how difficult and lonely parenting can sometimes feel. Sarah Napthali (and the other women whom she quotes) are very frank about the times when they've been angry with their children or partners, when they've felt depressed or anxious or when they just fail to enjoy parenting as much as they'd like to. It's clear that being a Buddhist doesn't mean that you never feel these difficult emotions, just that you work on not giving in to them. Because this book is written in such an unjudgemental and empathetic way, I found it very inspiring. I think this should be required reading for every mother!

My only critique is really that the book is a still too topline. Although Napthali does give a handy list of techniques to help you parent in a more calm way, I found that some of them were more headlines than how to-s. The book also includes a chapters on topics like concerns about ageing and relationships with your partner and while these were interesting I would have preferred her to spend more time on parenting issues.

Nevertheless, it's a fabulous book to keep on your bedside table. I liked to read a few pages and reflect back at the end of the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be recommended on the NHS for all new(and seasoned) mums, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children (Paperback)
This book should be recommended to every mum on the NHS before they even leave the delivery ward! Once you master the art of changing nappies, sleepless nights and weaning and your baby slowly turns into a toddler- true parenting with all its challenges begins. This book addresses the many different emotions that a parent/mum of a young child will go through- anger, guilt, resentment, frustration, isolation, inadequacy. Not at all the Hollywood-inspired daily idyll of motherhood that we have become accustomed to hearing about. It is shocking to me, how few people are prepared to admit how difficult and fraught motherhood can be, and for that alone I thank the author who has shared with her readers her own struggles and challenges. The book also includes funny stories from other mums to help us feel that we are not alone out there and to remind us to laugh every now and then.

Too many books concentrate on what we can give our children, and too few actually deal with the psychological and emotional demands this places on (quite often)- us women. Few people are able to be frank with others about the negative impact that motherhood has on our relationships with our partners, friends and even other family members! Being a mum demands an almost unbelievable amount of self sacrifice - physical, emotional, material and this opens the door for potentially experiencing life as a mum in a negative way. Sarah Napthali's book helps the reader deal with that.

This book has helped me hugely and I would go so far as to say, that it has plucked me out of my depression.
This is a self-help text of tremendous value to every mum and is not a book that teaches you to meditate or preaches Buddhist theories. It is intended for real women who may be complete beginners to Buddhism and who understand the importance of being more happy and healthy for the sake of their families, but need a little bit of encouragement to get there.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 22 Oct 2011
This is a lovely book - easy to read, practical, realistic, and it contains so many humorous anecdotes likely to make any mother go 'yes!'. it's full of useful tips and techniques for everyone, whether buddhist or not, but it also shows how the spiritual path is part of everyday life rather than being separate from it. It's also helpful as sometimes a mother can feel isolated and that she is suffering alone. This book shows, with humour, how universal the trials and tribulations of motherhood are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes sense, 11 July 2011
A good book for mums, it is a book for mums and not just about the children. It talks about the inside rage mums feel sometimes given they have very little time for themselves and can feel overwhelmed sometimes with toddle tantrums, lack of sleep etc. It also talks of the buddhism principles and how one can apply them to achieve calm at such times. It all makes sense and one can relate to the situations explained, its thought provoking but would take time to implement the fixes recommended. Overall, an very good and food for thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, heart-warming book, 11 May 2008
SarahC (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
Every so often you come across a book that you know has the potential to change your life, and this is one of them. I came across this book as an Amazon recommendation and ordered it out of curiosity. I don't have children yet (pregnant at the moment) but thought that I probably won't have much time for reading when we do have kids and so it might be a good idea to read it ahead of time. And I'm glad I did as it has given me time to take on and absorb the content. Even not having children, I was brought almost to tears on several occasions but the sheer truth of what Sarah Napthali writes and, having just finished reading it for the first time, the first thing that I'm going to do is read it again as there is just so much to take in. I already know that it is a book that I will return to again and again and that will comfort me as well as making me a better person (and therefore better mother, partner, friend etc.) if I can put into practice even just a small part of her advice.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›