Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 February 2014
I need to be honest front he outset. I didn't choose to visit Vegas. My husband was going to a conference and it meant that I could have a holiday for the cost of the flight to somewhere hot in April. Even then I didn't really fancy it - I was going to be six months pregnant and the bright lights and casinos didn't really seem to be a suitable holiday for a heavily pregnant woman. However, as our last chance to travel sans children I bought this guide book, took a deep breath and booked. I'm pleased I did.

Lonely Planet guides have been our stalwart companions for the past 13 years on any travelling we've done. And when I say travelling I don't mean backpacking or finding accommodation when we've arrived, I mean planning what to see, what to do and where to eat after I've checked out the best areas to stay in and the best month to visit. They've yet to fail us and this guide was no different.

This Discover guide divides the strip (which is massive by the way) into casinos and what to see and do in each, along with walks/day trips out and around them. It helped me get excited about more than having some sunshine after the harshest winter I could remember and plan some pregnancy friendly outings that didn't involve black jack or foot long tequila cocktails.

Maybe it's my naïveté about Vegas, but what the book didn't convey for a first-timer is that everything is indoors! It talks you through the casino areas and having a gelato in St Mark's Square at the Venetian or crepes in the French village eateries in Paris - lovely I thought, but when you get there you realise you are inside with the ubiquitous twinkle of the slot machine lights. This was really disappointing - not just the fact that this is Vegas, but that despite reading pretty much from cover to cover, the guide didn't make me aware of this. It also didn't convey how run-down and dirty many place saw ere. The newer areas such as Aria are amazing, but whereas casinos such as Luxor are described as tired, I would describe as downright grotty. But maybe I wouldn't have noticed if I could've taken advantage of those foot long tequila cocktails!

However page when it tells you to get the Deuce or a taxi, do it. The scale of buildings in Vegas make things that are really far away seem deceptively close, a mistake we made once, but my poor pregnancy ankles couldn't take again!

What was also good about this guide was the sections of hangings to do just outside of Vegas - and further afield with the Grand Canyon section being enough to get you there and see the sight.

Maybe I'm just not a Vegas gal, and I couldn't fault the information in this guide, which was easy to use, well structured and full of information.
on 9 March 2014
As someone who has pretty much bought every Vegas guide there is, this is without doubt the most comprehensive. It covers all you need to know and unlike some guides gives lots of information about downtown and off strip hotels. I find too many concentrate just on the strip when there are some fabulous finds elsewhere. Excellent maps, plenty of background history and lots of tips make this the best of the bunch.
on 13 January 2014
Really helpful guide to Sin City!
Useful information about tipping, travel, places to visit, a great comprehensive guide.
Section on "main hotels" takes up majority of book. Great if you're staying in one of them, but still useful as gives info on shows etc at these big hotels which people can visit whether staying at hotel or not.
on 12 January 2014
As a regular visitor to Vegas, I am always trying to find something new to do when we go. This book manages to get the balance of pictures to information just right. Its interesting and has come up with a few new ideas. This is good for first time visitors or those who have been before.
on 29 May 2013
I used this to plan a 10 day vacation and found I had time to see everything with time to spare. The Kindle version is usefully Interactive which I found particularly useful.
on 1 February 2013
I bought this for my daughter who was off to Las Vegas with a friend. She found the book very useful and would recommend it.
on 16 August 2013
I have been to Las Vegas many times and I find this book has now given me a lot of new info about the 24/7 City.
on 14 October 2013
The book was well written and easy to use-could dip in and out as you moved from one hotel to the next......
on 26 July 2015
Purchased as a gift for a friend who's visiting Vegas later this year; I received good feedback
on 6 September 2015
Fantastic book to get the most out of ur Vegas trip. Easy to use with great photos.