on 6 March 2015
Good photos and very descriptive about things to do etc. My only complaints would be that there isn't very much information on how to get places and the . We stayed near Olympia and the street we stayed on wasn't on the map. Even if it had been in small scale because it wasn't in the centre that would have been better but we ended up having to get another map. Good book for some but not the type of quick info guide I was expecting.
This 224-page book - the 4th edition of March 2014 - is an interesting and readable guide to London, England. This is a well-designed and presented guide, with useful maps. It is a pocket-sized guide, being approximately 6” by 4 ¼”, with a fold-out map inside the back cover. It has a much more concentrated layout than the full-size Lonely Planet volumes, and concentrates on the city itself. This is not a glossy guide with lots of colour pictures, but it is well-designed and laid out, with colour illustrations used as part of the design, not to fill up gaps or break up blocks of small-print.

The Contents are
P007: Quick Start Guide (introduction to the city)
P021: Explore London (sections on 8 districts each with a thorough description and mini-guide, plus 5 other locations highlighted for detailed study)
P173: Best of London (things to see, places to shop, eat and drink, etc.)
P205: Survival Guide (getting there, getting around, “Essential Information”)
P218: Index
VINE VOICEon 8 April 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I lived in London for 5 years so I know it pretty well, but as with many residents I never really bothered doing the whole tourist thing. So now I live elsewhere but travel down for work regularly and my attitude has changed. I am hungry to explore and this pocket guide really makes it very simple. London is huge with just so much to do and see. That can actually be off-putting, so one solution is to just chunk up the capital and visit a bit at a time. This is where this book works so well and for a short or even longer city break it makes it ideal. You can wander, see stuff and not get too exhausted hopping all over the place trying to cram everything in.
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a comprehensive, useful and handy guide to this fabulous city. Have now lent it to several friends who have found the maps, tips and information on museums, galleries, parks, walks and generally getting about really helpful. For a day or weekend trip this is all you need. If you were staying longer you might want something more detailed but then I reckon you'd go online. To have this little gem in your handbag / rucksack is helpful. I loved looking through it and have now pencilled a few places to visit and mooch about in the next few months.
on 6 August 2015
Good, overall guide of what to experience in London. Nice and handy fold-out map, too! The size and weight of the guide is nice as well. Fits nicely in my handbag and pocket of my coat! The only thing I missed was a more detailed bus map. Not many bus routes are displayed. In summary, I would still recommend this pocket guide.
VINE VOICEon 7 April 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like other Lonely Planet guides on the big cities in the world, this Pocket London book is updated quite regularly. The other copy I have is the 3rd edition from 2012 so that's every 1/2 to 2 years at the current rate. Probably leaving a few months before refreshing parts that need refreshing and generally updating the content to make the book appear new, then releasing again and so on.

Lonely Planet books is recent times have undergone a huge re-design. In this day and age with readily available resources online, and with the better websites, the content is far easier to navigate than in a typical book. With that in mind, Lonely Planet have undertaken a huge review and come up with a guide structure and hierarchy that borrows heavily from the web. This translates as colour coded sections, better design and implementation of summaries, highlights, sights, top tips and so on. It's far easier to scan than their older books.

I find the pocket size books that Lonely Planet are producing now are better for cities while the slightly larger guides for countries also works in this new format. It's a good way to structure their guides and makes carrying a city guide that much more do-able for a city break.

This 4th edition 2014 version of Pocket London is great, and if you're a soon-to-be visitor to London pick it up. If you're a Londoner, you'll probably prefer something a bit more in-depth than the usual tourist fayre.
on 11 November 2014
Lonely planet guidebooks are great and this one is no exception however, after comparing with what was available in the Great Britain guidebook's London section (that I already have), there was not much point in getting this book. I was expecting it to go a little more in depth but it is about the same only in a different format. Great if you are only going to London and want a small book to carry around but if you are planning a trip around Great Britain just get the GB book instead.
on 22 May 2014
The index is not very good. The index of your London Encounter of 2009 was 11 pages long and had, for example, a comprehensive list of markets, whereas this new Pocket London has a six-page index that is far less complete. I found it much harder to make my way around this guide book. Also, the map was better in the earlier version (although neither map really does the trick and I bought a better one in London to get around with).
VINE VOICEon 21 April 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Lonely Planet Pocket Guide of London is packed with information that enables you to have several good mini and longer breaks in London.
I have just been to Barcelona using only their superb wee guide. The London guide uses the same tried and tested formula.
It has 7 coloured overlaid maps inside the front cover plus another to the East covering the Greenwich area.
The pull out map is very clear and easy to follow. The places to see are clearly identified.
I am planning to go to the Greenwich area -page 162 and back to the London Eye for a ride - page 113 within the purple "Tate Modern & South Bank" area. The 8 areas have their own extracts from the pull out map with more detailed information.
I am planning a trip to Greenwich and the London Eye. I will use the underground map which is part of the pull out map to help me get around. For Barcelona we could walk to most of the places we wanted to visit. For London you can either pick one of these 8 areas and then home in on walking around that area -or hop to further areas by using the underground -or buses / taxis - I prefer the underground.
One of my favourite places is Wimbledon tennis -and that does appear until page 204 under "Best Festivals & Events" - so ensure you look around the book in total.
Page 205 onwards gives you a survival guide about getting around, electrical connections etc.
The guide says the normal language is "English, plus over 300 others" -page 16.
The other handy section dotted throughout the book is the "Understand" boxes.
For example, page 98 explains about the Great Fire of London, Page 125 tells you about the history of Hampton Court and page 168 explains about GMT.
The book tells you about places to eat in your area - we preferred to walk about and find our own in Barcelona, but at least the guide points you to some possible choices
Bottom line? The Lonely Planet Pocket Guide of London is very good, full of information, fits in your backpack quite easily. I tended to have the pull out map to hand just to check roads etc. as we went along.
There are (heavier) and more expensive guides around, but for me the Lonely Planet Pocket Guide of London ticks all my requirements:-
Well laid out
Good colour combination (a must for me) of photos, texts, maps etc.
Clear information with no waffle
Easy to navigate around the book
Take a look!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So many visitors to London must miss out on some great sites and information. This little book is packed from cover to cover with tips, hints, information, tourist stuff, and if you are visiting the capital, it's well worth buying and reading. Small enough to pop in your bag or rucksack, you'll have an even better time taking it with you