5.0 out of 5 stars As comprehensive as you could expect!
Published 8 months ago by Movetotheleft

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, not as good as Lonely Planets used to be
Have used lonely planets for years, but found this to have quite a lot of errors in the maps, and locations of places. You can read one section, i.e. Naples and it refers to a map which is a totally different place. Ended up not using it for too much reference of places. Shame as they used to be the best. Would recommend looking at other guides also.
Published 1 month ago by NinW

5.0 out of 5 stars As comprehensive as you could expect!, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Italy (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
In our first couple of visits to Italy over the last two years we went to Tuscany, Umbria, north Lazio and Rome. We used the Rough Guide for Tuscany and Umbria and the Lonely Planet Rome - both were very good. For planning a trip to a wider area (Bologna,Verona, Lake Garda and on to Milan) and subsequent travel we bought the LP Italy. We have used LP for several other trips and have found them to be as good as any, particularly for the wider area guides rather than city guides and this is no different.

It is excellent for a bit of a potted history of the places that we visited and gives a general introduction - certainly excellent for general places to visit, traveling / transport tips and places to eat. You can't expect everything to be absolutely correct as it is a huge amount of information and business change etc, some of the things like prices and opening times differ from the book on occasions, it does also pay to check ahead to confirm details via the internet if you have the opportunity but this book is pretty comprehensive.

It also included a pull-out Rome map, which is I believe the same one that we had in the LP Rome book.

I would certainly be confident in accuracy to use it for further trips to Italy (we absolutely love the country, history, culture, and people!) and would probably stick with just this book than buying any more of the specialist regional versions that they also produce. I always find that tourist information places and car hire places give good detailed local maps and would use those to top-up this book if necessary. I would also recommend the Lonely Planet Italian Phrasebook - a little goes a long way when it comes to trying to speak Italian to locals!

5.0 out of 5 stars tells me everything I need to know, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Italy (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I had never visited Italy before. The lonely planet guide was invaluable. It gave me the opening times of attractions and the entrance fees, travel costs on trains and buses along with the times, numerous suggestions for visits, which I would otherwise have missed as well as the more obvious sights to see, suggestions for eating places and the specialities for the area.and much more. I was able to make the most of the time I spent in Italy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but heavy, 30 April 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Italy (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I have used this book in Florence, Assisi and Pisa so far, and most information was accurate (ticket prices a little out of date, as you would expect with any publication). I found the 'Getting there and away' sections and the city maps very useful, and the eating suggestions that I tried out in Florence were good too.

My only slight complaint is that Lonely Planets seem to be getting bigger and bigger as they try to be more and more comprehensive. Mostly I left this book in the hostel as it was too heavy to take around all day. Time to buy a Kindle perhaps...

5.0 out of 5 stars Does it says, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Italy (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Bought it for an upcoming holiday. It gave me the information I wanted.
The book is a bit big, so it's not going into the baggage.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for planning the trip, 11 Sep 2014
Samuel Wilson (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Italy (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
We are traveling to Rome and then down to the Amalfi coast next week and the Lonely Planet guide has been very useful when planning the trip ... full of good tips and thing you need to Know

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Italian travel guide, 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Italy (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Great write up - far more information than you will ever need! You can trust Lonely Planet to deliver on this. I have several of their publications and have never been disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Received quickly - usual Lonely Planet standard though less seamed ..., 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Italy (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Received quickly - usual Lonely Planet standard though less seamed to be marked on the map than lots of other LP that Ihave used in the past.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, not as good as Lonely Planets used to be, 20 Nov 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Italy (Travel Guide) (Paperback)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if it was a good book as it was very damaged when I got ..., 4 Dec 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Italy (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Not sure if it was a good book as it was very damaged when I got It . no one will take responsibility ie this company ,when i tryed to leave a message and speak to them they just tryed to pass the buck ,and so I'm the one that has lost out with a book and money so sorry I can't put something nice to say.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 16 Sep 2014
Quite a good guide to Italy, but the Rough Guide is better. The layout of the lonely Planet guides on e-books is not as user friendly.

Lonely Planet Italy (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Italy (Travel Guide) by Donna Wheeler (Paperback - 14 Feb 2014)