5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough information
Published 19 months ago by Chris J

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough information, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Western USA (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I've happily been using the Lonely Planet for about 20 years but am disappointed with the Western USA book. There's so little information in this book that I had to borrow an older Southwest Lonely Planet from a friend and I also bought a second-hand Lonely Planet California guide from 2009. The California guide has nearly 300 more pages than the Western USA book and the South West guide is double the size. As an example, there are only 20 pages on Utah and not a single map! I'd rather pay more and get a decent book. It feels like a waste money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Way out west, 25 Nov 2012
artlover (stourbridge, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Western USA (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
This is the first time I have bought a Lonely Planet guide. I know they are much vaunted - but I'll think twice before buying another. Admittedly, I haven't put it to the test on the road, so to speak, as my wife and I won't be making our trip until next summer. But as a planning tool, I found it wanting. While there is an overview map of the 11 states deemed to be in Western USA in the front of the guide,there are no larger scale maps at the beginning of the notes on each individual state. This means that - to plan a route - the reader has to juggle with the guide in one hand and road map in the other. Not easy. I probably would have put up with this deficiency had my wife and I not purchased a DK Eyewitness Travel guide before we went to New England in October 2012. It has a state-by-state map feature and very useful it proved to be. It is also much better laid-out with loads of gorgeous colour photographs unlike the Lonely Planet guide. So why, you might ask, didn't I buy a DK Eyewitness Travel guide of Western USA? Well, it would have taken three books to cover the same area of the States as Lonely Planet's, although much of the contents of all 3 were no use to me. While prices with the rival publishers are similar - DK New England £14.99; Lonely Planet Western USA £15.99 - I would have had to pay £45 for the 3 DK books - far too expensive. I emailed DK to see if there was a way round this impasse (perhaps a 3 for 2 offer or a condensed book I was unaware of) but I didn't have the courtesy of a reply. So it was Hobson's Choice for this skinflint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
helpful on recent road trip

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 18 Mar 2014
R. G. Flett "Boba" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Western USA (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
All we will need and more for our west coast road trip - good info and sure to come in handy

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Western USA (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
As the reviews said the snook is very informative and well detailed. The reason I chose this books was because there was no other choice for Western USA

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a mere list of random places, 19 Aug 2013
Francesco Antonelli (Rome, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Western USA (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Did not like this guide at all. Just an impersonal list of places without sensitive reviews. No advice of sort, no detailed information. Better use it to balance an old wooden table with a shaky leg.

4.0 out of 5 stars USA Holiday, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Western USA (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
The Lonely Planet is really the only travel book that does its for me. We are off on hols soon to Las Vegas, the national parks and then San Francisco and it covers all of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Information, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Western USA (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Worth a read and is packed with lots of information. As previous comments state there are no pictures, but it contains heaps of information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Western USA (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Another Lonely planet bible :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Western USA book, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Lonely Planet Western USA (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I will be using this book soon on my visit to the Western part of the USA and hope it lives up to my expectations

Lonely Planet Western USA (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Western USA (Travel Guide) by Brendan Sainsbury (Paperback - 13 April 2012)
Used & New from: £3.06