4.0 out of 5 stars Solid travel guide
Published 2 days ago by ruth87

2.0 out of 5 stars For me it was a waste of money
Published 3 months ago by Fiona P

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid travel guide, 28 Oct 2014
This is a very solid travel guide that I found extremely useful while travelling. The book doesn't explore each country in a huge amount of depth but gives a lovely overview of each country and detail around the main cities and tourist areas. If you are only travelling to one or two countries for an extended period I would recommended a more detailed guide (maybe country specific for somewhere as varied as Croatia for example) but it's perfect of you are doing a short trip or will be visiting a lot of countries and briefly stopping in at a few key highlights. I found it wasn't overly helpful for public transport, especially for Bosnia and Croatia where there has been a lot of recent changes to transport routes and many of the train lines have been discontinued while buses are at best very late and at worst just don't turn up at all sometimes. But overall, it's a well written, nicely compact guide that I recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars For me it was a waste of money, 28 July 2014
Fiona P (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I was disappointed with this guidebook.It's big but it contains only a limited amount of info. I bought it to use in Albania, Macedonia and generally the Balkans but most of the things I was looking for weren't there (proper info on transportation, nature, car rental etc.) Yes they were mentioned but it was only a starting point that required many more research. Also the info/cost werent up-to-date.
I ended up putting it aside and buying specific guidebooks for the 3 countries I wanted to visit the most.

4.0 out of 5 stars More useful as a planning guide than a travel guide., 30 Jun 2014
Rating this guide any lower is a bit unfair, basically because people mainly complain about lack of information; but that also happens to be the reason why people buy this guide and not 3 or 4 individual guides depending on the number of countries you are going to visit. Yes the guide is fairly shallow, but it gives you very good guidance of what to see in every country. I think it is more useful as a planning guide than a travel guide.

And just like the other Lonely Planet guide I bought for my kindle (but I also used it on an iPad with the Kindle app), there are serious improvements needed. The table of contents is not friendly, at all!!! I compensated this by using lots of bookmarks. The other thing is that the resolution of the offline maps is terrible, so if you want to zoom in (which you can do by touching the map for a couple of seconds) you will basically get lots of pixels instead of what you are trying to look for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful to plan the trip, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Useful to plan the trip...but I didn't really use it much during the trip since I had some offline guides from TripAdvisor too which are a lot more convenient to carry around in your mobile

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent summary, 11 Mar 2014
This is a decent summary of a very large and diverse area. However, perhaps inevitably because of its size, there is an awful lot missed off, and there is a sense that the usual fine detail found in most Lonely Planet productions is not the case here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful book, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Bought this book for my brother for his Christmas present as he's planning a trip across Eastern Europe in the next couple of years.
Useful to have all the sights off the beaten track and things worth seeing on his travels

Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Eastern Europe (Travel Guide) by Luke Waterson (Paperback - 18 Oct 2013)