5.0 out of 5 stars A great help
I used this guide for my trip to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, couldnt have done it without this guide. Gave me everything I needed for my trip!
Published 13 months ago by Miss E May

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing drop of standards from LP
Pros: a comprehensive book with good details on opening hours, how to get to places etc. Accommodation detail is pretty good too - and helps to weed through some Tripadvisor mistake bookings (a couple times we went with things rated high on Tripadvisor and not listed in LP - we soon learnt the lesson).

Cons: the food and eating sections are terrible. We...
Published 4 months ago by k_nelli

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing drop of standards from LP, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Japan (Travel Guide) (Paperback)

Cons: the food and eating sections are terrible. We followed them for too many times - every time to be really badly dissapointed. It also seems the guides only eat ramen as that is pretty much all they list. The info about sights and temples was largely superficial. There should have been a JR train map of the main routes. The Tokyo map advertised is a joke - it was no good for anything. The other maps are poor also - only a few major roads are marked and it is very hard to figure out where things are.

I still thinks this is ok as an overall guide - but as a usually big LP fan this book was a big dissapointment and will encourage me to look at other options before buying this.

Do note that none of the authors of this book are native Japanese. Seems like a major short coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great help, 26 Oct 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Convenient but Conservative, 30 Aug 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Japan (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
The guide starts with some itineraries and basic information, followed by groups of chapters on different regions and their cities. At the end of the guide, there is comprehensive coverage of life in Japan, as well as a condensed 'survival mini-guide'.

I mainly used the guide as a starting point for my own plans, extracting the place names and verifying on TripAdivsor. The latter part of the book helped me to appreciate the lifestyle and discover some of the little quirks that would be tedious to check elsewhere.

But the guide is too conservative. Places like The Golden Temple and Fushimi-Inari Taisha in Kyoto are described with equal fervour; but whereas the first is a major tourist trap, the other is whatever you make of it. This became annoying for me.

Improvements: less description and more opinion, city maps organised by direction rather than district, estimates of duration for each attraction/city/region, a writing style that is less dreamy and conveys the reality of a place.

I don't think

5.0 out of 5 stars It's good but you need both the Rough Guide and this one to get the best from your trip., 16 Nov 2014
M. Fairman - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Japan (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Actually a lot better then previous ones, nicely laid out and lots of goodies.

I never reply on one, instead get the Rough Guide as well as they cover different things. And let's face it, you just sent hundreds on going there, so an extra £15 on a second guide book seems like the best investment you can make really.

There are so many wonderful things both leave out so always use the net to research as well you will be amazed at the things to see that aren't featured here.

My idea of the best guide book? One that features just the things to see, leaving out hotel and cafes and stuff.

Worth buying, but never relay on just one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version is a disgrace, 9 Nov 2014
Nothing wrong with the content but the kindle version is very very poor. They have invested zero money in adapting it for kindle. There are nowhere near enough hyperlinks and it's very difficult to navigate to what you are trying to find quickly. I wish I had bought the print version. A disgrace, really. You don't read a guidebook from cover to cover, you flick to the places you are visiting - that means you need good searchability and cross referencing. Take this on the road and you'll regret it. Shame on you, Lonely Planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need!, 18 Sep 2013
chick (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Japan (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I have been reading this for a week now and I love it! I previously had the Japan by Rail book by Ramsey, and I hated it (read my review why). This LP has everything you need, there are colorful pictures galore, clear maps, a metro map and city map of Tokyo, info on the places, how to get there (which train/bus to take, how long and how much, though I dont always use the prices as gospel but as a guide). Also, the usual do's and don'ts section. I have always loved LP books, and this version hasn't let me down. What I like is which part of Japan to visit for which season and for what reasons, e.g for Temples and gardens, it suggest Kyoto, for the beaches, another place etc. Also, colourful pictures on different types of food, the name of the dish and the phonetics on how to pronounce them etc etc. Overall I personally love this guide book and will be using it when I go next week to Japan!

5.0 out of 5 stars get the most recent edition and you're good to go, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Japan (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
cant fault lonely planet... always helpful whether the trip is a backpacker or a leisure holiday. this is a greatly detailed book about japan... might be helpful getting the book specifically on tokyo if you're there a while, otherwise this will do just fine. enjoy your trip :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Go for the hardcopy, 2 Oct 2014
Eamon Adams "EA" (Portstewart, Ireland) - See all my reviews
The information seems sound enough, but the Kindle edition is not well worked. It is far from being seem less in action and I have spent quite a lot of time flicking from one place to another instead of enjoying the content. I'd say the hard copy is a better proposition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good book that helped us throughout our travels, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Japan (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Really good book that helped us throughout our travels, I'd recommmend also getting the Tokyo one as that is where it seems a lot of people base their trips

3.0 out of 5 stars Good..., 17 Feb 2014
Generally I like it. It's relatively easy to skip around the book, although it could do with a "beginning of chapter" link at the bottom of pages. Hyperlinks to internet pages work well. Nice photos.

BUT the maps are horrendous. You can't zoom in at all, the quality is so bad. They show very little, and aren't usable for getting around, although they'll do the job of general orientation.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Lonely Planet Japan (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Japan (Travel Guide) by Wendy Yanagihara (Paperback - 13 Sep 2013)