5.0 out of 5 stars Portable and affordable phrasebook
Bought this for my upcoming trip to Japan.
The book itself is very small and easy to carry with you which is absolutely perfect for those of us who want to carry a phrasebook around at all times, it's small enough to slip into a bag or your pocket.
Published 16 months ago by Erik Meyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't know
I hope this will be useful when I take my trip to Tokyo. I'm hoping this will help me when I need information and the person doesn't speak English. It's just to be safe.
Published 16 months ago by DAS POP

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable and affordable phrasebook, 7 Mar 2013
Erik Meyer (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Japanese Phrasebook & Dictionary (Lonely Planet Phrasebook: Japanese) (Paperback)
Bought this for my upcoming trip to Japan.
The phrasebook itself is divided into chapters for various situations and everything is clearly explained, such as how to pronounce words, what I find very nice is how many of the sentences have one word in brackets so you know which word to substitute if needed ie. "I want a (water)" instead of the listed "I want a (beer)". This makes it very easy to both remember the phrase and how to mix it up to suit the situation. The eating out section is also very practical as it lists pretty much every food you will encounter, alongside the correct japanese kanji so you can find out what the menu says.
Overall this book is easy to understand and will be great for any traveller to Japan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, 9 May 2013
More phrases than you could probably ever need, not only is it a dictionary but it also has lots of phrases varying from general conversation to asking for help when you loose something (the moment my friend lost a souvenir at the train station was when I was glad to have this book on me) to stuff like "Woah tiger" in Japanese (no word of a lie).

5.0 out of 5 stars pocket sized and perfect, 9 April 2013
I have just returned from 2 weeks on Hokkaido, Japan's northern island, with a friend whose daughter is working there for a year or two. It is an area where very few people speak any English at all. The book was excellent in providing phrases for most situations from eating out to travel, and the little dictionary at the back was very useful too. The main drawback is it is not always clear how to pronounce some words, but as we were staying with my friend's daughter who has learned Japanese, she could help us (although it was usually after the event, if we had been let loose on our own). It is a very small book size-wise! which means it is easy to carry around, but the drawback is that sometimes it is difficult to read - especially if we showed a Japanese person the kanji for what we were trying to say - you almost need a magnifying glass!
But overall excellent value.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cute book with common/basic knowledge, 5 Sep 2013
If you're a newbie to the language then this book is handy for you. However, I took Japanese as a GCSE and continued studying after so this was a little basic for me, but needless to say it is compact and gives you the information you want fast! The size of the book is great, it is lightweight so you can carry this around if you were on holiday in Japan or even reading on a bus. The only draw back is the sizing of the letters may be straining for some. Overall it's informative and suits the purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 7 July 2014
Excellent little book

5.0 out of 5 stars Japenese Phrase Book, 11 Jun 2014
Excellent! It will be a big help to us while we are in Japan! Thank you very much its great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 8 May 2014
Bought this book for a trip to Japan this summer, I haven't used it properly yet but it looks really good. Lots of helpful information as well as language. Covers all the key phrases you would need as a tourist.

4.0 out of 5 stars I basically already speak enough to get around Tokyo..., 30 April 2014
Brannstrom Goran "Goran" (Sweden) - See all my reviews
...but this guide is small enough to carry around every day, and has most of the survival phrases you will need.

And even though you think you know your Japanese you still need to refresh your knowledge once in a while.
I felt safer having it around. And I learned a few phrases that I could use immediately.

If you are the least bit unsure, get it. And keep it closeby...

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightwhight and easy, 28 April 2014
We had this With us allways . Its just easy and convinient to carry around and the Words are helpful in a land With little English.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great companion, 16 April 2014
It'd a good starter however has a lot of complex ways of saying things. I have been learning Japanese in class and none of the sentences in the book match what I've learnt XD The kana table is great and I take this book everywhere

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›