4.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planets are good

2.0 out of 5 stars Errors of fact, lacking in detail
Published 2 months ago by Maria

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Lonely Planets are good, 8 Jun 2014
I did like this book it was good. But there was some inaccurate reporting of prices and some attractions, the typewriter museum for instance were not as great as the guide made out. Some attractions cost money but were stated as being free. If you want to actually see anything in San Marco Basilica be prepared to pay 5 euro to go on the roof, 5 euro to see the treasures and 2 euro to see the sarcophagus lid. So 12 euro all together. There were other exhibits that cost money to enter and were said to be free. The Peggy Guggenheim is definitely worth a visit, you should go there for sure. Didn't get to see most of the rest of the place, would go back again...

2.0 out of 5 stars Errors of fact, lacking in detail, 24 Sep 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Pocket Venice (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Errors of fact, omissions and lack of detail make this guide book the most irritating I have ever purchased from the Lonely Planet series. I recently purchased a last minute deal to Venice, and so, not having time to wait for Amazon delivery, picked up this in a high street book shop after having a quick flick through. In general, it highlights the main sites, it has a separate map (but all guide books do that). Here are the main issues I have with it.

There are no instructions from Treviso airport. Although this isn't the closest airport to Venice, it is a viable option and also cheap and easy to get to Venice from (only taking about 15 minutes longer than from Marco Polo). This guidebook doesn't even mention it exists.

The separate map is made out of very thin paper. In walking from Piazzalle Roma to my hotel in the Dorsoduro, I'd manage to tear it slightly in two places, not just at the edge, simply by folding it.

The maps in the book are inaccurate. Not so much as to get you completely lost but enough to make it extremely annoying. Between the bus stop and my hotel, one of the larger canals looked as though it only had one bridge (which would have made a 15 minute diversion necessary), however, by that point I'd lost my place on the map and it's only as I crossed the same canal for the fourth time I became certain the map was wrong. Some of the road names are missing or incorrect. This is a difficult task in Venice I admit but it's difficult when in a new place, looking for a road name and thinking you have the right one but it not matching the map. Only when you start off down that alley does the name change half way down and you realise the map had omitted this. I felt, after deciding I could no longer face St Mark's Square any longer, I 'should' see the bridge of sighs. Only on my return when I had wi-fi did I work out, I'd walked past it. Again, not on the map.

Now I interchange 'alley' and 'road' which in Venice makes sense. This leads to my third point. There is no basic info about Venice. No warning, particularly for lone female travellers to gird yourselves that you will be spending a lot of time in alleyways but it's not necessarily as nerve wracking as you might imagine. Would be helpful. Also it's the first guidebook I've ever had with no section on the history of the place. Why? As I said, my trip was last minute and I was yearning to know more about the place.

There are other errors of fact too. Traghetto are not listed as only being for locals (which the signs certainly seemed to indicate, it also said it was 50 cents and it was actually 2 euros). The opening times of the market were wrong. The naval museum was listed as 1.55 euros, that's only for locals.

A bit more information on top tips would be nice. For example, wearing masses of mosquito repellent! Obvious information in retrospect but I saw loads of tourists with bitten legs.

And to be honest, it did very little to help you avoid the nightmare of the tour ship crowd in Venice either which is what makes the experience of visiting a little less pleasant.

All in all, as this was only written in 2014, a very, very disappointing turn out for the Lonely Planet books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little guide!, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Pocket Venice (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Useful guide, ideal size for hand bag, would buy again for a different destination.
Good value for money, quick and easy to follow

5.0 out of 5 stars This was fantastic for our weekend away, 16 Nov 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Pocket Venice (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
This was fantastic for our weekend away. Just the right information in pocket size. The maps were great and the tips were also ideal. Really liked that they suggested murano and Burano as not many tourists go there and we were thrilled to visit these litttle islands as they were just so beautiful. Really recommend it

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful guide, great map, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Pocket Venice (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Great little guide, really helpful on our holiday. A few more lower priced eating places would've.been helpful. Really useful map.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 5 Jun 2014
G. Moore - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Pocket Venice (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Only downfall was the map was a bit small and hard to read. Otherwise I found it to be a good source of information.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice size, good pull out map, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Pocket Venice (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Not much to say really, this is a good guide, easy to carry around, lots of content and good information. You have to check out the gelato place recommended on page 39.

5.0 out of 5 stars lonely planet guide Venice, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Pocket Venice (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
full of lots of tips on how to enjoy your stay in venice Thanks I am really looking forward to using it on my next trip

5.0 out of 5 stars A great travel guide, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Pocket Venice (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
This is a great travel guide telling you everything you need for a great holiday in Venice. I has a pull out map and lists a range of places to visit.

4.0 out of 5 stars brief but useful, 8 April 2014
Tom Abell (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lonely Planet Pocket Venice (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Not quite as much info as I had expected, but includes more than enough for a few days in Venice.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lonely Planet Pocket Venice (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Pocket Venice (Travel Guide) by Alison Bing (Paperback - 17 Jan 2014)