Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 June 2013
We used this for a trip to Turkey in May 2013.

It was hot off the press so we expected it to be up to date and the information correct. This was not the case. We found multiple issues, many of which suggested that Lonely Planet authors had never visited these places.

I'll name just a few, for your reference, as they're indicative as to how poor this guide is. We undertook a hike from Faralya to Butterfly Valley - LP describes this as 'having ropes on the path in steeper places'. In reality these steeper parts involved rock climbing which would have been better suited to wearing a harness (we're in our late 20's, fairly active, hike often) - this was not as described. It also took substantially longer to get down this to the effect that we missed the last boat back to Oludeniz (again, no detail as to options if you miss the last ferry - incidentally they are (a) climb back out, (b) pay the locals to take you on their boat or (c) spend the night there). It also suggests that the Turks take time keeping seriously. This is obviously subjective, however, we took 3 flights and 4 or 5 local busses, along with the dolmus to the otogar's on each side - not a single one of these left on time. The entrance prices for attractions listed were consistently wrong, as were the opening hours, it stated the Istanbulkart is not available at the airport (it is), there were chunks of missing detail in transport info that we normally find so useful in the LP guides. For example, the Havatas bus from Sabiha Gocek airport in Istanbul is very busy, rather use the local bus (which they did list) but then would have been useful to have info on where this bus takes you, where to get off, what bus number connections will take you to Sultanamahet or Bayoglu etc. I've noticed a distinct 'gentrification' of LP guides released recently - prehaps the authors are expecting their more affluent audience to simply take taxi's everywhere. Undeniably a fairly inexpensive option in Turkey, however, this shouldn't be expected.

The hotel listings were fair and we were happy at of the 6 places we stayed at which we chose from the guide. The taxi prices listed were correct - these proved hopefully in negotiating quotes on the ground. It was, along with assitance from reception etc., sufficient for us to navigate from Izmir to Fethiye by local bus and onto Istanbul by plane as well as see everything we wanted to see. But only just.

This was also late being delivered to Amazon from the the publishers - rather annoying when you've pre-ordered a copy and the trip is imminent.

Althought we've always used LP guides, I cannot in all good faith recommend this one.
on 17 November 2013
After five weeks cycling from Konya to Kars.
Fine regarding tourist sites although for some places details are just cribbed from info boards.
Not so good when it come to accommodation, eating and up to date stuff. One hotelier described the authors as "stupid" I argued that they were just naive, having met one previously when he was researching.
I get the impression that some of the authors hadn't visited the places listed, perhaps spending too much time in the bathhouse, drinking tea or getting pissed and believing what their new found friends tell them.
This guide runs counter to the ethos of the original authors. One would have to have a very well paid job or be comfortably retired and/or have a private income (I suspect some of the authors might) to follow it as it stands.
on 26 May 2013
Great ti finally have an updated version of this book as I travel to Turkey often and its nice to have this travel companion not sure if I like the layout as much as the previous one. Might take some getting used to. Don't let that put you. It's a great book with just the right detail.
I disagree with their view of Calis Beach though. Ok it's is very British but it also has a huge Turkish side to it as well. Many Turkish people travel here for their holiday as well as Brits. It's a great place with friendly locals who don't hassle you like in so many other areas. Plus its a great location for many of the sites.
This book arrived April 2013, thus making it one of the most recent Turkey guides available.
It is still only using 2 colours in its main layout, light blue and black, which is OK but I prefer the addition of brown too in the recent L.P's Spain and France books, which helps to divide important script and helps the eye to navigate. A small point, maybe, but in a big volume the more help you get the better.
I won't witter on too long about the contents; I've done some planning using them and am happy with what I've used. Turkey is a big place but this volume has done a decent job of covering it. I'm staggered at how relatively expensive it has become since my last visit, so do not necessarily view it as one of the low-cost destinations, you have to work hard to keep costs down.
Its maps and diagrams are adequate but more colours would help differentiation; in my specific target area Cappadocia I wanted some clear walking maps and some idea of elevation using colour: nothing! They are good enough for initial planning but that's all.
703 pages, approx 600 grams in weight. One of the best choices around at the moment. Steve Riches, Northampton, UK.
on 10 February 2014
This is a fantastic book for those who want to travel in Turkey but have no idea what to do whilst there. It gives detailed descriptions of the top places to visit, and recommends everything from restaurants to places of worship. It is as up to date as you can expect a book to be, and is a great base on which to build a trip.
on 20 April 2014
I really couldn't get on with the format of this guide. I bought it to help to plan a trip and found that it isn't at all suited to browsing - you constantly have to open links within parts of the book to find more information - this might work if you know what you are looking for, but it certainly doesn't suit pre-trip reading. I never knew where I was in the book, there's no index and the contents also works on a 'click here' basis. Pages have no navigation at the top (as in the LP books and PDFs). Maps and diagrams are at low resolution and come out patchy on iPad and once you've enlarged a map you can't see the key to the places marked. I normally buy LP guides as PDFs but thought I'd try the kindle book this time - big mistake. My advice: Don't buy this - go to LP's online shop and buy the PDF.
on 26 October 2013
For the past ten years we have always used Rough Guides for foreign travel. However, this seemed more up to date and so bought it. Frankly we were disappointed. I haven't got the RG for direct comparison, though while there, I had a chance of comparing the two.
Our problems started before we left, as it suggested that our mobiles might be barred and we'd need to buy a local SIM card. This caused some consternation as we needed to keep in touch with the UK for the 8 days we were away. However, in the event our UK phones worked fine.

Apart from seeing a few sights in Istanbul, we visited to see some ancient towns and excavations on the West coast.

The plans of a few tourist sites in Istanbul Aya Sophia, Topkapi Palace etc. are clear and helpful. And a good map of Central Istanbul was included in the book. But a major Christian Church (not ancient) that we wished to visit - the Basilica of St Anthony (Sentantua) - was not listed or shown on the map. The index was poor as there were things that we searched for but could not find; though sometimes they were commented on in the text.

It was when we got outside Istanbul, that things got worse. There are many ferries crossing the Sea of Marmara but only (some of) those sailing from Istanbul are mentioned. And the ferry ports were not shown or mentioned. Similarly we wished to visit Alexandria Troas - shown on the Izmir area map, but not referenced in index or text.

We did visit Iznik (Nicea) a small town, which did have a town plan and write up. And Izmir is quite well documented, as are Ephesus (Efes) and Miletus (Milet) with adequate plans of the ancient ruins.

I recognise that a guide cannot suit everyone, so my main criticism is in respect of the index - there's more in the book than the index reveals - but one is dependent on the index to find it. That seemed to be where the Rough Guide was superior.
on 5 February 2014
Up to date guide with lots of tips, maps and suggestions for accomodations, transport ans so on.
I will recommend it without a doubt
Excellent ! a good book to go with me in my next trip to Turkey. Maps, culture, food, and points of interest.
Indispensable !
on 15 August 2014
Brilliant, all of Turkey I want to see in this book. How to get around, where to stay and eat.