5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful guide to Oman, UAE & Arabian Peninsula
Published 14 months ago by Amazon Customer

We have used Lonely Planet extensively while travelling through Africa - especially the regional books which cover many countries in a single volume. Even with all the changes in Africa, these guides were useful.

Published 15 days ago by African GirlChild

2.0 out of 5 stars these guides were useful. The same unfortunately cannot be said for this ..., 16 Jan. 2015

The same unfortunately cannot be said for this book. We are now living in the region, and thought this book would be helpful to cover the other coutnries we no doubt will visit. I appreciate that the region is changing rapidly, but even the fundamentals in the book do not seem correct, leaving me in doubt.

For example in Oman, the exchange rate for Omani Rial is pegged to the dollar, but the exchange rate printed in the book was incorrect by a factor of 10! Makes budgeting interesting. The information on camping was inconsistent on different pages in the same section - again, makes for challenging planning.

Bahrain section was unfortunately not much better. The information about the Al Fateh Mosque (which Lonely Planet calls Al-Fatih) indicated the mosque was closed to non-Muslims on the weekend. In fact, only closed to non-Muslims on Fridays. The information on the National Museum included an incorrect website which I wanted to use to check the validity of the info in the book.

I realise these examples are seemingly small. However, it shook my confidence in other information in the book too, to the point where I borrowed a friend's Bradt guide for Oman and am looking for other options for information on the other countries in the region.

That said, it is a truly fascinating region of the world, and worth visiting and exploring :)

(As as aside, I appreciate that websites sometimes disappear, and information changes (such as opening times) but then Lonely Planet you need to at least provide up to date information on your own website!)

2.0 out of 5 stars When did they check the veracity of this?, 9 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet Oman, UAE & Arabian Peninsula (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
I bought this book for Oman only. To put my review into context, I have always purchased Lonely Planet guidebooks in my travels to many countries and thought them excellent. Not this one. It seemed to be wrong on so may counts: opening days / times; restaurants reviewed, etc. For once I could get no clear guide as to how to travel, self-driving, in this country.

A very disappointing book that I can only conclude is due to LP not thinking it worthwhile to keep current. A bad misitake to my mind, as more and more people seek on-line guides.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to its usual standard, 18 Nov. 2014
Note that this guide covers Oman, Dubai, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and more, but it's only half as thick as the Thailand guide. Thus, every country only gets a tiny chapter. There is also a comparatively long culture section, so there is hardly any room for practical info.

I usually buy 2 guidebooks, one with photos to get inspired and a lonely planet for the detailed infos on how to plan the holiday. This lonely planet guide is disappointing in that it seems merely to provide a flavour of the placed that are worth seeing, without explaining properly how to get there. There aren't enough maps and those that exists are too sketchy. An example: "Wadi Tiwi can be accessed by car but villagers prefer visitors to approach on foot" without further explanation as to where to walk and how long it would take.

Places like Dubai and Oman are rapidly changing, with new roads and resorts being built all of the time, so perhaps no guidebook can keep up to date. I am now just using the internet to help plan my trip.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book - but too small chapter about Dubai, 28 Oct. 2014
The book is not bad. It is as every Lonely Planet book is - with good descriptions, guidelines and suggestions. But I needed a book to Abu Dhabi and Dubai, thinking I would buy this in case I ever wanted to visit the other emirates. However, the part of Dubai and Abu Dhabi was really small and already seemed a bit dated (Dubai is developing extremely fast) - I should just have checked the sizes of the chapters before buying, so I have only myself to blame.
In summary, if you are only going to Dubai or Abu Dhabi, buy a book that is only about those particular cities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful guide to Oman, UAE & Arabian Peninsula, 16 Nov. 2013
I wanted the most up-to-date travel guide available in book form (travel guides on Kindles are next to useless in my opinion) and Lonely Planet are still the best. Haven't actually used it 'in the field' yet, but I've done all my research prior to our trip and it was extremely helpful with regard to travel information etc., as always, and 'things to see'. I've only looked at it for Oman, and a larger scale map of Oman would have been handy - it's not easy to work out how far places are from each other in the mountains and which order you should do things in. I've purchased a large scale map separately to use in conjunction with this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 14 Dec. 2014
arrived in time, a present for my nephew who's off to work in Kuwait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Nov. 2014
The book is very informative, just what I needed. Thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Nov. 2014
Brilliant, can not wait to get to Bahrain

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 July 2014
PERFECT AS ALWAYS

Lonely Planet Oman, UAE & Arabian Peninsula (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Oman, UAE & Arabian Peninsula (Travel Guide) by Andrea Schulte-Peevers (Paperback - 13 Sept. 2013)