5.0 out of 5 stars A book with a greek soul
Published on 15 Nov. 2010 by Galatia

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Book I Couldn't Recommend
Tessa is an excellent writer and produces books that really make you want to get into the kitchen and cook - but with this book the presentation is terrible, even though the content is up to usual high standards.

Published on 18 Nov. 2011 by CCookbookkid

5.0 out of 5 stars A book with a greek soul, 15 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Food From Many Greek Kitchens (Hardcover)
Being greek (and a cooking addict), I don't have that many greek recipe cookbooks in my collection, as I always think that I know better! :-). But Tessa's book is a treasure. The recipes are complemented by beautiful photography making it a book you should have on your living room coffee table. Going through the recipes I could tell that she took the time and effort to create each dish as a greek would cook it and even better. This book is a must have for anyone who enjoys eating or cooking authentic and utterly delicious greek food. Thank you Tessa!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mediterranean Bliss, 28 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Food From Many Greek Kitchens (Hardcover)
This book is full of simple mouth watering recipies, which are accompanied by superb photography. As usual Tessa Kiros has excelled in producing a wonderful book. It is just short of 5 stars given there could have been, in my opinion, more recipes. Anyone wishing to have a more comprehensive cook book for Greek food would do well to check out "The Olive & The Caper" by Susannah Hoffman, which although lacks the images of Ms Kiros's book does have substantially more recipes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Book I Couldn't Recommend, 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Food From Many Greek Kitchens (Hardcover)

The colour of the text makes the book exceptionally difficult to read just browsing - let alone when cooking from it. This does matter and is not something unfortunately that can be overlooked.

The food, recipes and writing are great = 5 * - BUT the enjoyment of this book IS effected by these issues. Until the publisher tackles this buy another book on greek food - I own around 400 + cookbooks, and I am a keen cook.

I GOT SO FRUSTRATED BY THE TYPE COLOUR I GAVE THIS BOOK AWAY (Note I am a young guy with 20/20 vision!)

You have been warned!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hollidays in Greece, 15 Jan. 2011
Jean Rijlant (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Food From Many Greek Kitchens (Hardcover)
This book is so good I ordered it twice (the other copy is for my daughter).
Nice traditional recepies and wonderful pictures of food and Greece. Just by looking at the pages, it brings me back to Crete and the other islands i've been to.
The only and major downside to this book is the light green lettering which make this rather book difficult to read.
Otherwise I surely recomment this book to everyone interrested in Greek or Mediteranian food.

3.0 out of 5 stars A museum book, 8 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Food From Many Greek Kitchens (Hardcover)
It is a beautiful book to watch and read, and also great recipies, the only thing that is a bit difficult are the letters, they are written in a artistic way, but indistinct.
beautiful pictures, like a museum book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another beautifully illustrated book of recipes.., 28 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Food From Many Greek Kitchens (Hardcover)
..from Tessa Kiros. I haven't looked at every recipe and but I have thumbed through it fairly thoroughly. It is an excellent collection for those who want to recreate their experience of eating in Greece. All the taverna favourites are there - briam, skordalia, horta, feta omelette with potatoes, scrambled eggs with tomatoes, baked dishes, salads, starters. In fact, quite a lot of recipes that you don't really need recipes for if you have any experience in the kitchen!

The pictures are great - as they always are in her books.

But I won't be buying it although I am a sort of amateur collector of books on Greek food. The reason is twofold: not quite enough new challenging recipes I want to try and the presentation of the recipes: palish blue type - really quite hard to read (at least at my age!). The designer won out over the practical cook! I think it is a mistake.

But excellent for someone who wants to start cooking Greek food and will welcome a non-threatening approach so 4 rather than the 3 stars I was first going to give.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the blue text, 19 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Food From Many Greek Kitchens (Hardcover)
Another great book with wonderful recipes and pictures, but it's a great pity that the text is in a blue colour which is extremely difficult to read. Please, please, please, publisher, don't do this. Trendy it may be - practical it's not.

5.0 out of 5 stars A feast for the senses!!, 1 Nov. 2010
Martha P. (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Food From Many Greek Kitchens (Hardcover)
As all the previous books of Tessa Kiros, this one is sheer pleasure: a feast for the eyes (extra praise to Manos Chatzikonstantis for the photos), a glimpse into local culture on every page, a big and well-chosen variety of recipes. Tessa's collections exude not only her love for her work, but pure "joie de vivre" as well. I can't wait for her next book to come out.

3.0 out of 5 stars MAJOR PRESENTATION FLAW, 29 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Food From Many Greek Kitchens (Hardcover)
I have received this book this morning and the photographs are beautiful as always in this author's books
BUT
the text is extemely difficult to look at because it is an aqua colour and italic font so two bad things
I do expect to be able to sit and read a cook book and then cook from it but doubt I shall be doing much of that because it hurts my eyes
I am so disappointed because I have all her other books and they are a joy to look at
The publishers need to do something about the colour of the text pretty sharply
and when they do they can send me a new one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tessa never fails, 9 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Food From Many Greek Kitchens (Hardcover)
Firstly I'd like to say that I did not find the turquoise font color, which appears to have given grief to so many reviewers, hard to read. For me it was more the scraggly font itself that wasn't ideal for reading "on-the-fly" during cooking. But then it made for some funny words in the context, and brought on a few giggles.

This is a real cookbook. It's a departure from the "Venezia - Food and Dreams" style, where the recipes share the spotlight with Tessa's travel observations. I like this book as it is, but lean a bit towards the "Venezia" style, because for me food, people, and country are inextricably linked - a bit like roast turkey and Pinot Noir.

"Food from Many Greek Kitchens" has a stunning layout. Manos has given his absolute best to capture the atmosphere of Greece in the beautiful, beautiful photographs of both Greek food and Greece, the country. The bright and cheerful colors deliver on the Mediterranean look and feel of this book.

Greek food is very simple to prepare. Bright and clean flavors dominate. Everything relies on the absolute freshness of fully sun-ripened vegetables and herbs; fresh seafood (can use premium quality frozen here); succulent lamb and chicken. What you put into one of these dishes determines what you get out of it. If you use the freshest possible ingredients you will be rewarded with a rhapsody of flavors that bursts in your mouth and etches itself into your memory. Never to forget.

The ingredients lists for most of these recipes are short, yet their food is very varied. Cooking times are short, too. Most ingredients are easy to get: tomatoes, peppers, spinach, zucchini, and eggplant; feta cheese; fresh dill and parsley, mint (both fresh and dried), dried oregano; ground cinnamon, allspice, cloves, garlic; onions, kalamata olives, capers; more feta cheese; chicken and lamb; eggs, phyllo pastry, and then some feta cheese... Easy. Quick. Inexpensive. I also love the way in which a few of the little meze can be combined to make a complete meal: chips, fried egg, feta stuffed peppers, salata marouli. The pictures give you clues.

I forgot how good Greek food is. I first ate it many many years ago at a Greek friend's place and subsequently in Greece, and I always liked it (most of all souvlaki me pita) but did not pursue cooking it myself. Tessa's latest work made me catch up on what I missed. For the past 7 days now I've been cooking from this book only, and I am not ready to pause, yet: Spinach Rice, Tomato Salad, Green Salad, Greek Salad, Tahini Soup, Potato and Feta Omelet, Yiaourti, Soutzoukakia, Patates tiganites, Feta-Stuffed Peppers. Thank you so much for a truly great book about wonderful food, Tessa and the team.

As a little side note, I find it estranging that all Murdoch books omit salt and pepper from the ingredient lists. Chinese and Thai dishes use other condiments so it's not a given that they are always in use. I like to gather together my ingredients beforehand and that's caught me out a few times. And to suggest that only "a pinch of salt" is needed to season a 5-pound chicken is maybe a bit on the conservative side? Early salting brings out the flavor, and we know we are not supposed to pile it up. Not Tessa's fault. Just wanted to get this off my chest.

Food From Many Greek Kitchens
Food From Many Greek Kitchens by Tessa Kiros (Hardcover - 4 Oct. 2010)