Do you ever pay a great deal of attention to a book title? Is it something you read without really taking in what you have read? If this is you then read the title of this book again . . . yes, that's right it says "Every Day" and that sums up what it is - a recipe book for every day.

One of the first things I do when I get a new cookery book is skim through -...
Published on 21 Oct 2006 by David Jenkins

3.0 out of 5 stars I love Bill, but this isn't his best
Published on 13 Jan 2008 by Julia Flyte

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you don't overcook the squid - you don't want rubber bands!, 21 Oct 2006
David Jenkins "Hub-UK" (Ipswich, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Every Day (Hardcover)

One of the first things I do when I get a new cookery book is skim through - like a big kid, I just love to look at the pictures! And I have to say there are some great pictures, the few I have chosen to show not doing them justice at all.

There are nice quotes spread throughout the book . . . Grangerisms?

"Make sure you don't overcook the squid - you don't want rubber bands!"

These make the book feel friendlier as if Bill is talking to you while you peruse his recipes. There is no holier than thou attitude - if tinned organic lentils will do, then use them. Although, being someone who enjoys his bed and hates early mornings, I am not sure I agree with him when he says "What's that old saying? That the man who is up early owns the world? It's so true."

But I certainly agree with him when he says "to see food as one of life's great pleasures" . . . Bill Granger is undoubtedly a person who loves his food and that very much comes across as you read through the book - it is a recipe book you can read and it follows a clear pattern throughout as it takes you through every day from Monday to Sunday.

There is a Southern hemisphere / Pacific Rim influence to many of the recipes which brings a freshness to them, especially for those of us living in the Northern hemisphere . . . and these days most of the ingredients used are common to our own supermarkets.

For me breakfasts are either the traditional English breakfast or more often than not some toast, a croissant or two or a bowl of cereal. Bill Granger takes breakfast to another level - a slice of toasted Apple, Dried Cherry and Almond Loaf! There are plenty more examples where that comes from - he breathes life back into a meal which has become a chore for a lot of us.

He has a great attitude about what the kids eat and how they should be fed. When you read what he has to say it all makes good sense and it is nice to see a chef acknowledge that kids eat too. "I believe it's really important to develop your children's palates. After all, they are going to be the people you are sharing meals with for the next twenty years."

Whilst the book is entitled Every Day it still perhaps takes you by surprise when you turn the page and there is a section dedicated to Packed Lunches. Don't be misled though, you will just love the simple idea of Stewed Apple with Blueberries and Yoghurt or Cheat's Pizza . . . yes, these are for the lunchbox!

Bill is very human in his approach and in the way he addresses his reader. "Just like everyone else, I often find myself in the supermarket at 5 pm, zoning out in front of all those shelves and thinking "What on earth am I going to make for dinner?"

And contrary to the image created about celebrity chefs, they are just like you and me when they are at home . . . "Nothing beats the smell of garlicky seafood pasta filling the house" - I would go along with that.

I just love the way Bill endorses the things I do and, as a professional, doesn't look down his nose at us mere mortals. "I love the whole idea of mixing some good take-away foods with a few dishes I make at home."

It's all here, from food for the kids, to food for dinner parties, to barbies, to curries. There is something very much for everyone and for Every Day of the week. Not to mention religion, "I've tried wine with Indian food, but nothing beats a cold beer, drunk straight from the bottle."

And the Sunday roast is included as well, if with a little twist, together with some interesting soup recipes. Go on treat yourself this is definitely one for the kitchen shelf. If I ever get to Sydney I shall be dropping in at bills!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, 6 Jan 2007
Rosie (Norwich, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Day (Hardcover)
What a great book, got this as a Christmas present and have already cooked more than one recipe from it.

The fragrant chicken and spinach curry is delicious and so easy to make. Most of the recipes are easy and very quick. The whole feel of the food is obviously Australian and in turn light, fresh and summery.

Am now looking forward to buying all of Bills other books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and simple cooking with amazing results, 17 Mar 2007
This review is from: Every Day (Hardcover)
Simple to read, simple, ingredients, simple to cook, amazing results that are fresh, light and so tasty.

The recipes in this books are familiy oriented, but with a healthy twist and based on good simple produce.

I loved it so much I bought the rest of his books.

I think Bill Granger has brought clean, simple and quick food into our lives and I am so graetful for that!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 Nov 2006
B (switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Day (Hardcover)
This really is a great book for every day. Don't think i'll use it for entertaining but for mid week family meals it's fantastic. Provides new ideas that are refreshing but quick and easy which is what i need with an 8 week old baby that is usually restless around our mealtimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, EASY AND YUMMY TOO!, 15 Feb 2007
This review is from: Every Day (Hardcover)
After seeing Bill's food on tv last year - I had to get a book to follow at home. This book is well written, easy to follow and full of yummy ideas that make you want to rush to the supermarket and buy all the ingredients and get cooking FAST! I love the fresh and simple approach of his writing and recipes and the fact they all turn out perfectly!!

I can't wait to get my hands on his other 4 books (they are sat in my basket as I type!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite chef, 24 Oct 2006
This review is from: Every Day (Hardcover)
This is a brilliant book. I have been a massive fan of Bill since I was living in Australia and have all his books.

This one is different from the others, as it is for all the family. It has handy tips all the way through out for children and ideas for family eating. I have cooked a couple of these recipes and as usual, they are very simple non-fussy yummy recipes!

This makes me feel like I am back in the sunshine in Australia having delicious fresh food!! I would receommend this to everyone to use!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars I love Bill, but this isn't his best, 13 Jan 2008
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Every Day (Hardcover)
Bill Granger's recipes are very simple to follow and often produce divine results. He has a knack for combining fresh flavours for stunning results. My favourite of his recipe books is "Sydney Food" - so often I buy recipe books and only ever cook a handful of the recipes (if that!) but I've probably made and enjoyed about a third of that book. Unfortunately "Everyday" has not become a staple for me.

For starters, the concept seems forced. Most of Bill's other books are broken into dayparts - breakfast ideas, morning tea, lunch etc. "Everyday" is divided by day of the week. This probably seemed like a great idea when it was first proposed. For example, "Sunday" includes big breakfasts, sunday roasts and soup suppers. Monday kicks off with energizing breakfasts and friends come for dinner on Thursdays. However all too quickly it becomes a matter of "where can we put glam salads?" and "easy weekday dinners?". If you're looking for ideas for dinner, they can be anywhere. Thankfully the index is well laid out, because that's what I end up browsing through for ideas.

The recipes that we have cooked have been fine - delicious even - but they feel like variations on recipes that I have seen from Bill before. There are a few standouts that we've loved and will cook again: the fragrant chicken and spinach curry is great, stir fried chicken with peanuts and cucumber was also good and the flavours in the haloumi open sandwich are superb. But others disappointed: his caramel salmon recipe is okay but nowhere near as divinely delicious as the one written by Jill Dupleix in "Simple Food". Berry hotcakes are okay, but a poor second to the ricotta hotcakes with honeycomb butter from "Sydney Food".

What I do really like about this book is the suggestions that Bill makes for entertaining, grouping several recipes together under a theme, such as a summer dinner party or a chinese dinner party.

One comment: Bill's children are far more adventurous eaters than mine - and probably than the average child. There was little in the kids' meals section that worked for my family, only the baked tomato and mozzarella pasta (which was fine, but very bland and expensive to make, for what it is).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent every day food!, 15 July 2007
This review is from: Every Day (Hardcover)
This book is excellent for providing foods which go together well, which your average person may have in the cupboard and can get together quickly and speedily after a long day at work, even if you have young children, and for those that don't!! They say that the average person only cooks 2 recipes out of each cook book they buy, i've had this for about 2 weeks and already done that!! - and there's plenty more to go at! Refreshing recipes that are not for the cookery snob, but for your every day person. Fantastic!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to do and easy to eat!, 29 Nov 2007
H. Coates (Swindon,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Every Day (Hardcover)
As always with a cookery book I've marked out all the receipes I might make and I can say for the first time ever I've cooked more than half of them. Bill uses such simple ingredients and easy methods its fun to cook the receipes. For someone who doesn't eat fish there are actually some really nice receipes and I'm learning to enjoy foods I wouldn't normally try.
The breakfast bars are the best for a morning treat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Everyday Book, 27 Sep 2009
This review is from: Every Day (Paperback)
This is my first Bill Granger cookery book and I have cooked many recipes from it, including his banana pancakes (loved the pancakes but wasn't so keen on the date butter which did sound really good but didn't work out as well as promised), wonderful peach and raspberry slice (which I have tried with different fruit that have worked well), and several others all of which have worked out well. The commentary with the recipes is well written so you feel that you are helped in the kitchen in a relaxed way. The only reason for not giving this book 5 stars is the book is laid out in days of the week with recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner so you can't just decide to look for breakfast because you have to keep moving around the book. It does mean that it encourages you get to have a long read of the book which when you have time. Two friends have looked through this book and then bought it themselves while they were with me which I think is a great recommendation.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Every Day
Every Day by Bill Granger (Paperback - 16 Feb 2009)