Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 August 2009
I have been learning to decorate cakes for the past one year now mostly from books - i bought them all! I was reluctant to buy this book because of the reviews that said "good for beginners" as i dont consider myself a beginner but decided to just "add it to my collection" and perhaps use it as a guide to teaching others. I was therefore pleasantly surprised to find a well written, illustrated book written by someone who knows their onions (sorry cakes!) The book came to me at a point where i had learnt all the basics and bought all the tools and gadgets but found myself at the discouraging point where i wanted my cakes to be less amateurish and more excellent, neat, perfect and professional looking. This is what planet cake did for me. by teaching some basic techniques and the secrets to their cakes and decorations and filling in several gaps in my knowledge by telling me not just the how but the why... I cannot say enough. This is a lovely book. Great projects. Very contemporary and very do-able. If you are serious about cake decorating, read every word and practice every cake... that's what i intend to do! Well done Paris!
on 30 July 2009
I bought this book because I'm a big fan of Planet Cake and love their creations.
I think this book is an excellent purchase for the absolute beginner. The sections are organised by skill level, so you progress from simple round cakes, to square cakes, then to shapes and finally 3D carved cakes.
The cake designs are all abit basic (the most complex is the one featured on the front cover) so an experienced decorator looking for some inspiration or looking to learn new or complicated techniques won't get alot of use out of this book.
Aside from that, it gives a beginner really useful tips for their decorating, for example, repairing fondant or applying glazes to give a shiny finish to fondant.
I've been decorating cakes for awhile now, so I don't think it gave me anything new, but the instructions are great and really detailed, there are a few new recipes you don't get in every cake book (I love the white chocolate mudcake and the flourless orange and almond cake recipe) and it was great to have the cake instructions broken down to see how Planet Cake achieve their spectacular cakes.
on 9 August 2009
I am a home based cake business in West Sussex and purchased this book to extend my already vast portfolio of recipes, thus giving my clients more choice. The book has lived up to expectations and I have used many of the recipes with great success. I look forward to the next book in the series.
on 12 September 2009
The book is brilliant. It show's all of the basic techniques in easy steps. The cake designs are fantastic and instructions really easy to understand. I've already made 3 cakes and I've had the book less than a month. Would highly recommend.
on 4 January 2010
The book had loads of different ideas.
but I found it lacking in detailed help in the building blocks to designing and decorating a cake.
No fault of the publication,
Mainly my fault in not researching enough.
Found the ideal book within 2 days of purchasing this book.
This will be excellent for some people, but not for me.
on 23 September 2012
I love cake and the vanilla cupcakes recipe at the start of this book is the best I have ever come across furthermore it has been consistently good everytime I have made them. I am not an artist and struggle to decorate cakes this book is a fantastic beginners guide.

The book includes very clear instructions, detailed information about equiptment and cake decorating skills. The book is written for beginners and covers every step, I cannot fault it.

My first attempt was the bow cupcakes and I was really pleased with the results, using the pasta maker to ensure the icing was thin really makes a diffrence to the taste.
The dragonfly cupcakes are very simple but impressive
Wow your friends with the honeybee and ladybird cupcakes and kids will love the green monster and pirate cupcakes

I was pleased with the present box cake when I made it for a friends birthday.

The only problem is I want to make them all and you only get better with practice but they are not too good for the waistline.

This book has transformed my understanding of baking cakes for the better. A great gift for wannabe cake decorators.
on 11 December 2009
I have been making cakes for my children and as gifts for other children for a few years now. My dream wish was to go on a Planet Cake course in Sydney but the cost put me off as I don't live in Sydney.

So, I made do with the book and although I have 10 years experience I still found new things to learn from this book. The chocolate ganache truly takes your cake to a new level rather than the staple buttercream. And who would have thought of using a pasta machine to get the perfect thickness for your small pieces of fondant. And using the acetate (from a good art suppliers shop) as a felixible smoother really helps to get into those nooks and crannies.

I realised my dream recently as I attended a 2 day course run by Planet Cake as they now go to Brisbane and Melbourne such is the demand! Having been on various courses of the years I can honestly say theirs is the best and well worth the cost.

Attending their courses may not be feasible for a great many but the book is a brilliant start and well worth having in your library.
on 28 May 2009
I just got my book and am already in love with it !

Many differente projects, very well explained !

The only thing I would complain is that the Mad Hatter cake, probably Planet Cake s most famous cake, is not featured on this book....although there is a picture of inside. That was a real shame to me !

Hope Planet Cake will launch new books soon. Modelling would be a perfect subject to me !
on 7 February 2010
A complete novice cake maker I was able to follow the step by step plans very easily.

The cake recipes are delicious and I made 3 or 4 of the cupcake designs for a school bake sale. It was very easy to produce effective and original cakes that taste wonderful. The cakes were such a success that the staff bought them all before the cake sale started ... and there were around 100 cakes.

Thoroughly, wholeheartedly recommend this book
on 25 May 2011
I have to give this book a full five stars because it's beautifully photographed and laid out, and all the cakes, recipes, tips, etc. seem spot-on. And besides, it doesn't make any claims to be for anyone other than beginners.

However, not being a beginner myself, I admit I ended up a bit disappointed -- my fault, not the book's, I should have paid more attention those reviews which warned me(and in fact the book's cover) -- this book doesn't have much, if anything, to offer more experienced decorators. I've looked through it thoroughly once, and I'm not sure I'll open it again.

Still, if you ARE fairly new to this game, you could do worse for books on decorating cakes with rolled fondant ("RTR" as they call it). It's far from a "course" which will advance your work step-by-step, but the projects do go from very simple to more complex and if you were to work sequentially through them, for sure you'd learn something at each step.