5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute Godsend!
Published on 21 Aug 2009 by E. BASSEY

2.0 out of 5 stars OK for Ideas - but ???
The book had loads of different ideas.
but I found it lacking in detailed help in the building blocks to designing and decorating a cake.
No fault of the publication,
Mainly my fault in not researching enough.
Found the ideal book within 2 days of purchasing this book.
This will be excellent for some people, but not for me.
Published on 4 Jan 2010 by Bun in't Oven

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute Godsend!, 21 Aug 2009
This review is from: Planet Cake (Paperback)
I have been learning to decorate cakes for the past one year now mostly from books - i bought them all! I was reluctant to buy this book because of the reviews that said "good for beginners" as i dont consider myself a beginner but decided to just "add it to my collection" and perhaps use it as a guide to teaching others. I was therefore pleasantly surprised to find a well written, illustrated book written by someone who knows their onions (sorry cakes!) The book came to me at a point where i had learnt all the basics and bought all the tools and gadgets but found myself at the discouraging point where i wanted my cakes to be less amateurish and more excellent, neat, perfect and professional looking. This is what planet cake did for me. by teaching some basic techniques and the secrets to their cakes and decorations and filling in several gaps in my knowledge by telling me not just the how but the why... I cannot say enough. This is a lovely book. Great projects. Very contemporary and very do-able. If you are serious about cake decorating, read every word and practice every cake... that's what i intend to do! Well done Paris!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for beginners, 30 July 2009
This review is from: Planet Cake (Paperback)
I bought this book because I'm a big fan of Planet Cake and love their creations.
I think this book is an excellent purchase for the absolute beginner. The sections are organised by skill level, so you progress from simple round cakes, to square cakes, then to shapes and finally 3D carved cakes.
The cake designs are all abit basic (the most complex is the one featured on the front cover) so an experienced decorator looking for some inspiration or looking to learn new or complicated techniques won't get alot of use out of this book.
Aside from that, it gives a beginner really useful tips for their decorating, for example, repairing fondant or applying glazes to give a shiny finish to fondant.
I've been decorating cakes for awhile now, so I don't think it gave me anything new, but the instructions are great and really detailed, there are a few new recipes you don't get in every cake book (I love the white chocolate mudcake and the flourless orange and almond cake recipe) and it was great to have the cake instructions broken down to see how Planet Cake achieve their spectacular cakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Planet Cakes, 9 Aug 2009
Cake Genie "Julie" (Felpham, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Cake (Paperback)
I am a home based cake business in West Sussex and purchased this book to extend my already vast portfolio of recipes, thus giving my clients more choice. The book has lived up to expectations and I have used many of the recipes with great success. I look forward to the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 12 Sep 2009
This review is from: Planet Cake (Paperback)
The book is brilliant. It show's all of the basic techniques in easy steps. The cake designs are fantastic and instructions really easy to understand. I've already made 3 cakes and I've had the book less than a month. Would highly recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK for Ideas - but ???, 4 Jan 2010
This review is from: Planet Cake (Paperback)
The book had loads of different ideas.
No fault of the publication,
Mainly my fault in not researching enough.
Found the ideal book within 2 days of purchasing this book.
This will be excellent for some people, but not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars just great, 28 May 2009
This review is from: Planet Cake (Paperback)
I just got my book and am already in love with it !

Many differente projects, very well explained !

The only thing I would complain is that the Mad Hatter cake, probably Planet Cake s most famous cake, is not featured on this book....although there is a picture of inside. That was a real shame to me !

Hope Planet Cake will launch new books soon. Modelling would be a perfect subject to me !

5.0 out of 5 stars Planet Cake ... for cakes that are out of this world, 7 Feb 2010
This review is from: Planet Cake (Paperback)
A complete novice cake maker I was able to follow the step by step plans very easily.

The cake recipes are delicious and I made 3 or 4 of the cupcake designs for a school bake sale. It was very easy to produce effective and original cakes that taste wonderful. The cakes were such a success that the staff bought them all before the cake sale started ... and there were around 100 cakes.

Thoroughly, wholeheartedly recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cupcake recipe ever!, 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: Planet Cake (Paperback)
I love cake and the vanilla cupcakes recipe at the start of this book is the best I have ever come across furthermore it has been consistently good everytime I have made them. I am not an artist and struggle to decorate cakes this book is a fantastic beginners guide.

The book includes very clear instructions, detailed information about equiptment and cake decorating skills. The book is written for beginners and covers every step, I cannot fault it.

My first attempt was the bow cupcakes and I was really pleased with the results, using the pasta maker to ensure the icing was thin really makes a diffrence to the taste.
The dragonfly cupcakes are very simple but impressive
Wow your friends with the honeybee and ladybird cupcakes and kids will love the green monster and pirate cupcakes

I was pleased with the present box cake when I made it for a friends birthday.

The only problem is I want to make them all and you only get better with practice but they are not too good for the waistline.

This book has transformed my understanding of baking cakes for the better. A great gift for wannabe cake decorators.

5.0 out of 5 stars Planet Fab!, 11 Dec 2009
Mum-to-2 "Mum-to-2" (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Cake (Paperback)
I have been making cakes for my children and as gifts for other children for a few years now. My dream wish was to go on a Planet Cake course in Sydney but the cost put me off as I don't live in Sydney.

So, I made do with the book and although I have 10 years experience I still found new things to learn from this book. The chocolate ganache truly takes your cake to a new level rather than the staple buttercream. And who would have thought of using a pasta machine to get the perfect thickness for your small pieces of fondant. And using the acetate (from a good art suppliers shop) as a felixible smoother really helps to get into those nooks and crannies.

I realised my dream recently as I attended a 2 day course run by Planet Cake as they now go to Brisbane and Melbourne such is the demand! Having been on various courses of the years I can honestly say theirs is the best and well worth the cost.

Attending their courses may not be feasible for a great many but the book is a brilliant start and well worth having in your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars planet cake, 8 Sep 2009
Kim Baker "kim baker" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Cake (Paperback)
this is the best cake book i have brought and i do have a few.shows you stage by stage how to make them.good pictures.the best.

Planet Cake
Planet Cake by Paris Cutler (Paperback - 20 April 2009)
10.49